Partitions not seen after fdisk
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plinko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Partitions not seen after fdisk Reply with quote

I am currently looking for a linux distro for playing my old dos games using emulation. I tryed vector linux and found it to be lacking. I am Trying to install gentoo linux using the documentation. I have come to the point in the documentation where i have created the partitions on the hard drive. But now i cant put file systems on the individual partitions because
the partitions will not show up in my dev directory. My hard drive is shown as hdd1 in my dev directory. When i run fdisk and display the partitions they are lised as hdd1p1, hdd1p2,and hdd1p3. I am very new to this but i want to learn it because I am tired of babysitting XP.
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/dev/hdd1 is not a hard drive.

The hard drive would be /dev/hdX (in your case /dev/hdd probably, if it's the slave drive on IDE1), and the partitions are /dev/hdXn (n a number 1-??). If you ran something like 'fdisk /dev/hdd1', you probably created partitions on your first partition of the harddrive.

Solution: Create partitions on /dev/hdd and then format /dev/hdd1. That should make the bogus partitions on /dev/hdd1 go away.
Plinko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Thanks that helped Reply with quote

Thank you that was exactly what i wanted to know.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: