Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
backup solution concept - your thoughts?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abaelinor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: backup solution concept - your thoughts? Reply with quote

aa

Last edited by abaelinor on Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
simon_irl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds reasonable for an automated backup (the author of the post you linked to said it takes about 50 minutes).

i just backup manually with partimage. takes about three minutes to backup my whole system (minus /home and distfiles etc.) to an image on another drive. ditto to restore it (plus a couple more minutes if you count booting from the rescue disk, i guess). i have my /home directory on another partition and back that up fairly regularly. regular data backups are small enough that i just copy 'em straight onto the other drive, or a CDR if i'm paranoid (which i am from time to time) and want the data separate from the pc (and the building, for that matter).

i have (old, i admit) copies of the partition images on DVDR too. i keep my partitions under 5 gig so i can back them up this way.
hurgh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tape backups are cheap, you can get a DDS2 tape drive for next to nothing these days off ebay, and then just use mt and tar to do a backup.

I have a bash script that i wrote that just does a backup of the dir's i specify and then checks that the backup worked.
It takes less than 30 min to do about 8gig of backup to tape, and another 30min for the check.

If you want to take a look at the script i use, you can get it off my website here.

You can modify the script to create a stage 4 backup (like the one you linked to) then just transfer it to the tape drive.

-Hurgh-
tuam
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: backup solution concept - your thoughts? Reply with quote

djlosch wrote:
from this i could have a machine restored without any discs or anything in a very fast manner in the event something did actually happen.

Except a crashing hard disc, I guess. You should really copy your personal data to a location outside your box.

FF,

Daniel
abaelinor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no

Last edited by abaelinor on Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo Chat.
Not a support question

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
-BarneY-
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... all I do is running the following script every week by cron.

Code:

#!/bin/bash
mount /boot/
cd /
tar --exclude=usr/portage/* --exclude=var/tmp/* --exclude=var/log/* -vpc root boot bin sbin usr home opt lib etc var | bzip2 -9 | cat > /destination/`date +"%Y%m%d"`.tar.bz2
umount /boot/

Each backup takes about 380M and everything important is saved. In case of hardware failure I only have to boot the livecd and restore the tar.bz2-archive into the root of my (maybe new *g*) hdd. Ok, the PC running this backups has no X etc. so the backups could be much bigger on other systems. Well, i guess the most important data to save is your world file, your /etc, your /home, if you have important data in it and maybe your kernel-config anyway. The rest is nothing an emerge world can't handle. ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: