all in one DVD suite
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
satanskin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: all in one DVD suite Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a program (preferrably an all-in-one suite and preferrably GUI) for converting and burning movie files of any format/codec such as .avi, .mpg, .mp4, divx, xvid, etc. to DVD? I have tried a few before, but none of them worked. Yes I have already searched the forums, no it didn't help, and please only helpful responses (i.e. no responses such as 'google it' or 'search the forums first!' etc please). Thanks.
mahdi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is all over the forums...

First off you'll need to encode the video to an mpeg stream for making a DVD
Code:
transcode -i "$FILE" -y ffmpeg --export_prof dvd-ntsc --export_asr 2 -Z 352,fast
 -o "$MOVIE" -D0 -s2 -m "$MOVIE.ac3" -J modfps=clonetype=3 --export_fps 29.97
of course that;s if you are going to NTSC format, for PAL change --export_asr 2 to 3 (and figure out that the $ things are variables :p)

If you want 5.1 audio and the file has it run this to extract it
Code:
tcextract -d2 -i movie.avi -a0 -x ac3 | tcextract -d2 -x ac3 -t raw > movie.ac3

Then combine the files into a DVD formatted video file
Code:
mplex -f 8 -o "$MOVIE.mpg" "$MOVIE.m2v" "$MOVIE.ac3"

At this point I usually uses qdvdauthor or dvdstyler to build the menues and generate the DVD
I use Xine before buring to make sure it's all aligned and chapters are where I want them
Code:
xine dvd:/path/to/dvd/
satanskin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well like i said, everything i found so far on the forum either didn't work right or wasn't what i was looking for. And same with what you posted. I was mainly looking for a gui program that i could use to do it all, the encoding and everything.

I tried qdvdauthor before but it didn't work. Does it convert the video files and set it up for you? Or do you have to convert the video before hand? and to just .mpg?
guduri
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Transcode wrappers Reply with quote

Have you tried AviToVob from the transcode scripts and wrappers?

http://www.transcoding.org/cgi-bin/transcode?Scripts_And_Wrappers
satanskin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah. i tried those. they keep failing with errors. qdvdauthor gives me some error about convert not being implemented yet and i'll paste the error from the AVItoVOB in a bit.
mahdi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As qdvdauthor says, video conversion is not implemented yet which I why we have posted some simple things to help convert the video. Once that's done qdvdauthor can handle everything else

I've found a any2vob script that will convert any video file into a VOB format file, but I've found the transcode/mplex combo to be quicker and has a better final result.
TerranAce007
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had good luck with DVDRip. I was able to encode DVDs into SVCD format, however I mostly just compressed them into a ~600mb avi file then put about 6 movies on a DVD-R for backup purposes.

Then it's hilarious.
satanskin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrance, I'm trying to go the other way though. Take .avi files and burn them to DVD for watching on the big screen TV.
DooBeDooBeDo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using avidemux to convert the avi files to DVD mpegs. Then use the authoring tool of your choice...
TerranAce007
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know how much picture quality you will have if you decompress the .avi onto a DVD, but since you already have the .avi file, you can just burn it to a cd. Thats what a video CD is, and it should play in your DVD player.

Then it's hilarious.
DooBeDooBeDo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TerranAce007 wrote:
Well, I don't know how much picture quality you will have if you decompress the .avi onto a DVD, but since you already have the .avi file, you can just burn it to a cd. Thats what a video CD is, and it should play in your DVD player.

No.

A Video CD (VCD) is a specially formatted (like a DVD) CD containing mpeg1 video.

Some DVD players have limited mpeg4 (avi/DivX/XviD) support - I have one - sounds like you do too.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: all in one DVD suite Reply with quote

satanskin wrote:
Can anyone recommend a program (preferrably an all-in-one suite and preferrably GUI) for converting and burning movie files of any format/codec such as .avi, .mpg, .mp4, divx, xvid, etc. to DVD? I have tried a few before, but none of them worked. Yes I have already searched the forums, no it didn't help, and please only helpful responses (i.e. no responses such as 'google it' or 'search the forums first!' etc please). Thanks.

There is no all in one solution for everything, even on Windows.
Unfortunately with so many different formats, and variants of them, no one program seems perfect.
I use ffmpeg when possible to get files to mpeg2 DVD standard and then you can use the frontend of your choice.

There are a couple at www.kde-apps.org that aren't in portage yet, that look really good and easy for end users, including menus and animated button creation.
Amon_Re
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: all in one DVD suite Reply with quote

satanskin wrote:

The way i do it is i load the avi into avidemux2, save the avi in seperate m2v & ac3 streams with the proper resolution, load these back into avidemux to make a DVD program stream.

I then apply needed subs to the file with spumux, and create the menu mpeg and use dvdauthor to create the dvd, wich i then burn with k3b.

It takes some fiddling to get it to work. but it does work, and alot more powerfull then the average comsumer software you find on any platform.

Basicly, you can make extremely slick dvd's this way, but yes. you'll be using the command line alot.

Once i figure it all out with all bells & whisles i might write a guide on how to do it.
dee2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I just got to this thread from a search on qdvdauthor, and this caught my eye
mahdi wrote:
Well it is all over the forums...
First off you'll need to encode the video to an mpeg stream for making a DVD
Code:
transcode -i "$FILE" -y ffmpeg --export_prof dvd-ntsc --export_asr 2 -Z 352,fast
 -o "$MOVIE" -D0 -s2 -m "$MOVIE.ac3" -J modfps=clonetype=3 --export_fps 29.97
of course that;s if you are going to NTSC format, for PAL change --export_asr 2 to 3 (and figure out that the $ things are variables :p)

No the --export_asr 2 to 3 option has to do with 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio, not NTSC/PAL.
Just thought I'd clear that up for the next reader :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: