Good cheap 720p capable video card
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
va1210
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Good cheap 720p capable video card Reply with quote

I'm currently building a media center to run Gentoo on, and I'm currently trying to decide on what graphics card to settle for. My mobo is AGP 8X, and I figure a GeForce 5xxx might be a good all-round video board for the setup. However, I'm not familiar with running HDTV modes on the PC. Does anyone have any experience here configuring xorg with HDTV modes (mainly interested in 720p), and what graphics cards are you using?
mnxAlpha
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the TV have a DVI input? If so, any video card with a DVI output should do the trick, and you would configure it like a normal monitor, running at 1280x720. I know there are GeForce FX5200s available with DVI outputs, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting one.

If it doesn't have DVI input, then you'll need a graphics card with component output, capable of running in high def modes. I know the GeForce 6xxx series can do that, although I've not tried it myself.
va1210
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it does have DVI. The FX5200 sounds like the perfect choice, thanks for the help!
anxt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have tried for two weeks to get a pic on my hdtv (advent hd3061a)
tried a radeon 9000 and geforce 5200. now i wonder, does it output digital analog or both.

i am assuming since there is a cheap adapter bundled it must put out analog (dvi-a --> vga)

my tv is dvi/hdcp, which if i understand correctly is a digital input.

is it even possible to make work with the right cable (currently i have a dvi-d single link)

i guess my question is does the rad 7000 or gf5200 actually put out a compatible signal. i really don't wanna buy a vga->compontent converter.

i tried like 40 different modelines (maybe 60), powerstrip et al, never even saw the tv show up in logs or anything.
augury
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does your cable have 4 pins around the flat pin? those sometimes put you in analog mode. (I pulled mine out with needle nose pliars)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: