Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Upgraded portage, stricter KEYWORDS checking?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wzzrd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Upgraded portage, stricter KEYWORDS checking? Reply with quote

I upgraded portage to 2.0.53_rc3 the other day, and now I notice that a fairly large number of packages bug me for not having an amd64 or ~amd64 KEYWORD. This is new. Yesterday, they did not bug me, even if the same packages were installed. One of the packages this happened with was dev-libs/libezV24-0.1.1. A packages that I have built many times on amd64 and is pretty stable.

Now I cannot check this, but this have to mean either (a) the ebuild have been stripped of the (~)amd64 KEYWORD, or (b) portage has become stricter in checking this.

I admit that the way I usually emerge packages without (~)amd64 KEYWORD isn't the proper way. I just ram open the ebuild in nano and add the ~amd64 KEYWORD myself. Up until now, this has never caused me any trouble. Once emerge, the package just stayed there and didn't bug me. Until now.

Now, my main point: isn't the time there to just give _almost_ all ~x86 packages the ~amd64 KEYWORD and almost all packages with x86 _at least_ the ~amd64 KEYWORD too? I mean, apart from eclipse, openoffice and some binary packages like netscape-flash, there aren't that many packages anymore that build on x86 but not on amd64, right? I haven't seen one in a while, that's for sure, but maybe I just don't use them, so maybe I'm just naively optimistic. What do you think?
UncleOwen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgraded portage, stricter KEYWORDS checking? Reply with quote

(edit: quoting fixed)

wzzrd wrote:
I admit that the way I usually emerge packages without (~)amd64 KEYWORD isn't the proper way. I just ram open the ebuild in nano and add the ~amd64 KEYWORD myself.

And on the next emerge --sync, the keywords are removed again. Now that portage-2.0.53_pre does consistency checks, you are in trouble. Use /etc/portage/package.keywords.

Quote:
Now, my main point: isn't the time there to just give _almost_ all ~x86 packages the ~amd64 KEYWORD and almost all packages with x86 _at least_ the ~amd64 KEYWORD too?

No. x86 and amd86 are different architectures, despite what some non-x86, non-amd64 devs think.

Last edited by UncleOwen on Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
andrewd18
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleOwen wrote:
No. x86 and amd86 are different architectures, despite what some non-x86, non-amd64 devs think.

Amen.

There's no place like ::1
wzzrd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, of course, that is very true. amd64 != x86. And forgive me for misstating my point.

Almost all package which build in x86 also build on amd64. I'm just a little disappointed that for some packages for which I file bugs requesting an amd64 flag don't get any attention or too little attention too late. I was just pondering on a system which would take away or deminish the need for excessive testing of packages on amd64 before getting flagged ~amd64 or amd64.
UncleOwen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want untested ebuilds to be marked as tested? Err, no. Won't happen.
alistair
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wzzrd wrote:
Okay, of course, that is very true. amd64 != x86. And forgive me for misstating my point.

Almost all package which build in x86 also build on amd64. I'm just a little disappointed that for some packages for which I file bugs requesting an amd64 flag don't get any attention or too little attention too late. I was just pondering on a system which would take away or deminish the need for excessive testing of packages on amd64 before getting flagged ~amd64 or amd64.

sadly as a amd64 user i wish this was true. Personally i want to win the lottery. I believe the amd64 devs wouldnt mine me winning either ;)
wzzrd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleOwen wrote:
You want untested ebuilds to be marked as tested? Err, no. Won't happen.

No, that's not really what I want either. I don't seem to be able to convey my point properly. Let's just drop it. Sorry for the trouble and thanks for your time guys...
fatboyjim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wzzrd wrote:

I'm just a little disappointed that for some packages for which I file bugs requesting an amd64 flag don't get any attention or too little attention too late. .

8O There aren't many keywording bugs open at the moment for us... we do try and get things tested fairly quickly, point out if any are yours and I'll give them my special attention ;-)

The reason stuff isn't just marked with the "x86 = ~amd64" logic is so... eventually... the keywording of a package for amd64 actually reflects its state, to make it easier for the end user. At the moment it should be as follows

amd64 = Stable. Really should work
~amd64 = Tested. (candidate for stable). This has been tested and worked, it might not work for you, if it doesn't please file a bug
no amd64 keyword / -amd64 = Not tested... but might work. If it does, please file a keyword request bug with your emerge info :-) <Yeh it's a pain for you and I understand your point, but that's just the way it is - and it makes sense to me anyway - it will be worth it in the long run>
hard masked = Good reason is usually given, usually security bug or major problems

Sorry for the rant, just got the internet working so using it to the full ;)

Jim
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: