Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
glibc-2.3.5-r2 failed - cannot compute sizeof (long double)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stef
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: glibc-2.3.5-r2 failed - cannot compute sizeof (long double) Reply with quote

I'm using 2005.0 for long time now ... but today when I did a emerge -uDv system, when updating glibc from 2.3.5-r1 to 2.3.5-r2 I got:

>>> Source unpacked.
* Building multilib glibc for ABIs: x86 amd64

* ABI: x86
* CBUILD: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
* CHOST: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
* CTARGET: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
* CBUILD_OPT: i686-pc-linux-gnu
* CTARGET_OPT: i686-pc-linux-gnu
* CC:
* CFLAGS: -march=k8 -pipe -O2

* Configuring GLIBC for linuxthreads with:
--disable-dev-erandom
--with-tls
--without-__thread
--enable-add-ons=linuxthreads,c_stubs,libidn
--enable-kernel=2.4.1
--without-selinux
--without-cvs
--enable-bind-now
--build=i686-pc-linux-gnu
--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu
--disable-profile
--without-gd
--with-headers=//usr/include
--prefix=/usr
--mandir=/usr/share/man
--infodir=/usr/share/info
--libexecdir=/usr/lib/misc/glibc

checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
<...>
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for long double... yes
checking size of long double... configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (long double), 77
See `config.log' for more details.

!!! ERROR: sys-libs/glibc-2.3.5-r2 failed.
!!! Function glibc_do_configure, Line 940, Exitcode 1
!!! failed to configure glibc
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

now all I found regarding this were problems during update from 2004.3 -> 2005.0 but I upgraded long time ago without problems up to now...

ok, so what i found is:

ls -la / |grep lib
drwxr-xr-x 9 root root 4096 Oct 1 13:55 lib
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Aug 19 21:33 lib32
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Mar 25 2005 lib64 -> lib

is this wrong ... shouldn't it be that lib64 is a dir and lib a link to it?! ... but ... this doesn't do much harm i guess?

now a look to config.log gave:

<....>
configure:7101: checking size of long double
configure:7420: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -o conftest -march=k8 -pipe -O2 conftest.c >&5
configure:7423: $? = 0
configure:7425: ./conftest
ACCESS DENIED open_wr: /mounts/gentoo/gentoo/tmp/portage/glibc-2.3.5-r2/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-linuxthreads/conftest.val
SECURITY BREACH SANDBOX_LOG /var/log/sandbox/sandbox-sys-libs_-_glibc-2.3.5-r2-16956.log isn't allowed via SANDBOX_WRITE
configure:7428: $? = 1
configure: program exited with status 1
configure: failed program was:
<...>

Ok, ... now it seems as if sandbox doesn't like ./configure to write to the build dir!? I have:
ls -la /var/tmp
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Mar 25 2005 /var/tmp -> /mounts/gentoo/gentoo/tmp

Is it a bad idea to have /var/tmp symlink somewhere else? (... didn't have any problems up to now)

... am I overlooking something?!
Mess
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: glibc-2.3.5-r2 failed - cannot compute sizeof (long doub Reply with quote

Hi stef!

I'v the same problem today. Boring problem, but...

Here is a link: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/amd64/howtos/index.xml?part=1&chap=1

Good luck!
stef
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my guess was, that I don't have one of the problems described there ... as i get a sandbox access denied in the config.log.
Now I'm not sure if it's because of my symlinking /var/tmp, or really some other things...

Edit:

changed PORTAGE_TMPDIR in make.conf to:

PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/mounts/gentoo/gentoo/tmp

*just trying, if it works (came past the sizeof long double at least ;-)

... but then ... is symlinking /var/tmp considered a bad idea? ...
Bluekkis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this same problem. Can't emerge glibc, gcc and sandbox and all 32bit programs fail to run with "accessing a corrupted shared library". I've searched forums and tryed half a dozen possible fixes I've found including some random voodoo, none have worked. I would really appriciate if someone could tell me where the problem lies... If I remember correctly this started few days ago after update that included glibc, been trying to fix this ever since.
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluekkis wrote:
I got this same problem. Can't emerge glibc, gcc and sandbox and all 32bit programs fail to run with "accessing a corrupted shared library". I've searched forums and tryed half a dozen possible fixes I've found including some random voodoo, none have worked. I would really appriciate if someone could tell me where the problem lies... If I remember correctly this started few days ago after update that included glibc, been trying to fix this ever since.

the problem started with r1, once i emerged it i did not have 32bit compatibility anymore, then i found out gcc had been recompiled with the -m64 cflag. it seems that all these problems are related to some kind of a bug in r1 that loses 32bit mode. i my self had a living hell fixing it. i resulted in quickpkging glibc and gcc from stage1 on the livecd and then it worked. since then r1 is hardmasked(manually) on my computer. I am afraid to upgrade to r2.
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
stef
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems to work fine for me now (guess it was really because of my symlinks), so maybe a slightly different problem at yours... what exactly the error saying in glibc config.log ?
sulu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another victim here.
Build of glibc dies with the cannot compute size of long double error.

Quote:
checking size of long double... configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (long double), 77

It cannot build the conftest program which is used to get the size of long doubles

It dies at

Quote:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.4/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.4/./libgcc.a when searching for -lgcc
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.4/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.4/libgcc.a when searching for -lgcc
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.4/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.4/./libgcc.a when searching for -lgcc
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.4/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.4/libgcc.a when searching for -lgcc
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.4/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lgc

I tried the
Quote:
emerge -v --oneshot emul-linux-x86-glibc

No go.

I had a look at

Quote:
2005.0 Upgrade guide

But i allready had done this some times ago.

I extractetd the C-Source-Code from the config.log and compiled it manually
Quote:
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -o conftest -march=athlon64 -pipe -O2 myconftest.c

This works without a problem and returns the correct size of 16.

Sorry i dont get it. 8O
sulu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump.

I am using the 2005.0 profile and had done the emul-library-thingy before i ran into the glibc-problem.

Should i re-emerge the 32-bit-emul-libraries ?

Is this really a problem with 32-bit compatibility ?

Generally this box runs fine. Emerges normally work without a hitch.

I use it for development in C and have zero problems.
sulu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Solved for me Reply with quote

Hmmmm....

Keyword multilib was missing in /etc/make.conf. :?

I found several references to a missing keyword Mulitilib in several glibc-threads.

I was very sure that i had multilib enabled in my make.conf. (I think it is recommended in the 2004-3 -> 2005 profile update guide)

But as is could not bring glibc to compile i started to check everything i found mentioned in the glibc-threads.

And then i found that no mulitlib was present in my make.conf.

I rebuilt gcc with multilib and reemerged all of the emul-libs and reemerged glibc.

And viola, everything is fine again.
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Solved for me Reply with quote

sulu wrote:
Hmmmm....

Keyword multilib was missing in /etc/make.conf. :?

I found several references to a missing keyword Mulitilib in several glibc-threads.

I was very sure that i had multilib enabled in my make.conf. (I think it is recommended in the 2004-3 -> 2005 profile update guide)

But as is could not bring glibc to compile i started to check everything i found mentioned in the glibc-threads.

And then i found that no mulitlib was present in my make.conf.

I rebuilt gcc with multilib and reemerged all of the emul-libs and reemerged glibc.

And viola, everything is fine again.

Isnt multilib USE flag ignored nowadays?
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
sulu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrjanda wrote
Quote:
Isnt multilib USE flag ignored nowadays?

Honestly i dont know.

I just waded through several threads on glibc and freqeuently found mentioned that multilib must be set in make.conf order so you dont get any binary compatibilty errors with which causes the glibc-build to die with
Code:
Can't find libc.so

Quotation from the 2005.0 Upgrade guide

Quote:

If you get a problem when ./configure is running on glibc, and it dies at 'checking size of long double... configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (long double), 77', check the config.log, and look for the error. This is the first time your toolchain is used to create and execute a 32bit application. The problems and associated causes you will see are:

Code Listing 9: cannot compute size of long double

Can't find libc.so

As i had exactly that problem i assumed something associtated with 32-bit-compatibility should be the problem.
The only thing i found was the missing "mutlilib" in make.conv. So i startet rebuilding everything with use of multilib.

Rigth now i think the key thing was to rebuild gcc with
Code:
USE=multilib emerge gcc

and maybe to re-emerge all of the emul-libs what fixed my box.

If you are interested i could check the bash-history for the commands i used.
Actually the success took me a little bit by surprise. :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: