[LaTeX] several floats as only content of some sections
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meyerm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: [LaTeX] several floats as only content of some sections Reply with quote

Hi,

I got several graphs which are approx. half a page big. I want to add much of them into the appendix of a thesis. I have several subsections for them in my appendix, each containing a dozen graphs and nothing other.

When I start with subsection and then add my graphs within a figure environment with [!ht] as placement, the caption is put before all graphs and everything looks good. But when I add another subsection (so that the previous subsection is no longer the last part of the document) the caption of the second subsection gets shifted between the graphs of the first subsection. When I put two graphs into a figure environment, the caption is longer put between but above or below the graphs one page after the caption of the first subsection.

Sounds strange, but perhaps someone remembers having a similar problem. All I want is "sectioncaption \n bla \n subsectioncaption \n graphs \n subsectioncaption \n graphs \n andsoon". BTW: "\newpage" doesn't help either.

Thank you very much for any help or hints to a specific manual talking about that sepcific problem.

M
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you put up an example file that demonstrates the problem?

I usually fix these kind of problems by trial&error, the first thing I would try here is to just not use any positioning parameters (no [!ht]). If LaTeX does not like your positioning parameters it will just move the figures to the end of the document, so that's not good. And if you have nothing but figures in a section, the default placement should (hopefully) work.

EDIT: You could also try clearpage instead of newpage.
InfinityX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't fully understand the question without seeing the file, but \\ is for newlines and give \clearpage a try when dealing with lots of figures.
meyerm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frostschutz wrote:
You could also try clearpage instead of newpage.

Thank you! :) Indeed, a clearpage is "flushing" all floats at its position.

I don't know it that's the "right way", but it works! Thanks again for your fast and great help :D
meyerm
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

InfinityX wrote:
I don't fully understand the question without seeing the file, but \\ is for newlines and give \clearpage a try when dealing with lots of figures.

Oh, just saw your answer too. Thank you - yes, clearpage does exactly what I wanted (flushing all floats).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: