Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Stage 2 to 3 Install - should have left out many locales???
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fwempa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Stage 2 to 3 Install - should have left out many locales??? Reply with quote

I noticed MANY locales being installed during system build. I realize now, right or wrong, that i should have omitted many of them as i will only ever use English. Is there a way to quickly go back and re-build without having to go through the 20hrs or so all over again?

Leads me to another question...

If in the future i wanted to, say, rebuild a program or even a newer version of the kernel, would i need to redo all of this? What exactly does rebuilding do? Coming from a winblows environment all of this is sort of new to me, although i do understand very basic stuff.

Thanks
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can set the locales in make.conf - but unless you're low on hard disk space, it really doesn't matter if you got some extra locales installed.

You do not need to rebuild any applications when installing a new kernel, except for kernel-related ones (for example, when switching from 2.4 to 2.6 kernel, devfs to udev, you had to install some updated user space tools, but this is a rare occasion, and in that case you will find a guide on the Gentoo homepage helping you out). Another thing you might have to re-emerge after kernel upgrade are third-party modules if you're using any (for example alsa-driver and nvidia-kernel).

Now about rebuilding... rebuilding really means building, e.g. portage downloads the source code of the package you want to install, compiles it, and installs it. Yes, you'll have to build the whole package (which can take some time for big packages like firefox or openoffice, that's why there are already compiled -bin versions provided for these). No, you don't have to rebuild the dependencies (e.g. you don't have to rebuild glibc whenever installing something new).

Hope that answers your questions somewhat.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: