Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Strange issue in /etc/runlevels (SOLVED)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Akaihiryuu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Strange issue in /etc/runlevels (SOLVED) Reply with quote

This is really weird. I happened to notice it today. I finished setting up the server 3 days ago, and I haven't rebooted it. Anyway, I was logging into it from work to check out some stuff, I happened to do an ls in /etc/runlevels/default (wanted to check what was starting at boot), and there were a couple broken links. I then checked /etc/runlevels/boot and almost all of the links were broken! I looked more closely, and (for example), clock was symbolically linked to /tmp/something//etc/init.d/clock. I don't remember what the "something" was, but it was a directory in /tmp that didn't exist. All of the entries that were there by default (the ones I didn't add) had this problem! I fixed it by doing rc-update del clock boot ; rc-update add clock boot (as an example) for each entry that was messed. It's fixed now, but I have no idea how this happened, or how long those entries were like that. It's possible they were like that from the beginning, but that doesn't explain how I was able to boot at first. I just want to make sure it doesn't happen again. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Last edited by Akaihiryuu on Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Zubziro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Strange issue in /etc/runlevels Reply with quote

Akaihiryuu wrote:
Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

I have exacly same behavior but system boot's just fine without any errors !
hmm wired im new to gentoo so i thought that it was some special behavior... isn't it ?
Akaihiryuu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange...maybe it's got something to do with the way the livecd was set up. Ah well, I fixed it, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Akaihiryuu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like they corrected this issue in the 2005.1-r1 live CD release. In the meantime, if you have bad entries in /etc/runlevels, just rc-update del foo bar ; rc-update add foo bar and that'll fix it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: