View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Twix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Blackbox, Fluxbox or Openbox??? Reply with quote

Hi.

I have a computer here that runs X and serves X terminals to other computers on my network via XDMCP. Each time I login from a client machine (using WRQ Reflection X), I get the nasty XDM prompt and it starts the ugly twm window manager.

I want the WM to be black, flux or openbox (which one is best????). How can I configure that????

Thanks!
Kurt Steiner
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluxbox and Openbox are based on Blackbox, so I don't think they differ very much, but if you want the best you should install them all and decide yourself which one you like most. :wink:

I've been using Fluxbox for a few weeks and I must say it's great - very fast and light (but it needs a lot of work :) ). There's a how-to for fluxbox here.
dswissmiss
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is going to tell you to try them all and see which one you like best. The good part is that they are all WM's, so they're very easy to install and uninstall (as opposed to Desktop Environments, which bring in tons of dependencies). I think one thing you will have to decide on is whether you go with gtk or qt, but in any case, there are many threads about how to configure each of them on these forums so just search for them. Oh, and also check out the desktop screenshot thread in off the wall to see which one visuall appeals to you.
satanskin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe it goes in this order from least to most as far as features and capabilities: Black, Open, Flux. I've been running Fluxbox forever and it's great and still lightweight. Haven't tried the others though, so I can't comment on them.
atrus123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion: Flux.

That said, Rasterman has some interesting stuff on his site regarding wm performance.

http://www.rasterman.com/index.php?page=News

You might want to check that out.

J.
dschobel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the one negative thing about Fluxbox is that it's not NET_WM compliant so a few apps won't work for it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: