View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iphitus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: 2.6.13-archck8 Reply with quote

ArchCK is a derivation of the CK patchset that is taking a similar path to the old CKO patchset. It aims to include a variety of popular features and updates that have not currently made it to the vanilla kernel without compromising stability. Con Kolivas' CK patchset is the core of ArchCK and wouldnt exist without it (thanks Con).

Patch (Apply patch to 2.6.13 - Already includes 2.6.13.4):
http://iphitus.loudas.com/arch/ck/2.6.13/patch-2.6.13-archck8.bz2

Broken Out
http://iphitus.loudas.com/arch/ck/2.6.13/2.6.13-archck8-broken-out.tar.bz2

http://iphitus.loudas.com/archck.php

ArchCK contains:
    CK Patchset
    fbsplash
    vesafb-tng
    reiser4
    shfs
    acpi updates
    Squashfs
    UnionFS
    Suspend2
    libATA updates

Full Changelog available on website.
_sys/sid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

Linux nebula 2.6.13-archck8 #1 SMP Tue Oct 11 15:10:44 CEST 2005
i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Linux version 2.6.13-archck8 (root@nebula)
(gcc version 3.3.6 (Gentoo 3.3.6, ssp-3.3.6-1.0, pie-8.7.8))
#1 SMP Tue Oct 11 15:10:44 CEST 2005

Thanks...
iphitus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_sys/sid wrote:
Code:

Thanks...

Awesome, good to see people using it.

Anyone else using it? Any problems to report?

iphitus
human_shape
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...coming from nitro-sources I'm using it since the 2.6.13 kernel release and have no problems....I'm very,very satisfied.. you did a good job...
DocterD
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iphitus wrote:
_sys/sid wrote:
Code:

Thanks...

Awesome, good to see people using it.

Anyone else using it? Any problems to report?

iphitus

works great as always :)
rcb1974
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Do you have an ebuild for this? Reply with quote

Is there an ebuild for this? How hard would it be to make one? I've been using morph-sources but there hasn't been a new release for awhile so I'm looking for a substitute. This one looks promising!
ericsson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: 2.6.13-archck8 Reply with quote

Hello,

Works very well here. I have been using it for quite some time without any problems whatsoever. I have tested adding the genetic library and i/o scheduler patches from Jake Moilanens site without any problems. The genetic antipacitory scheduler seems to perform well with reiser4.

Hope you continue
Thanks
Varuna
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you have an ebuild for this? Reply with quote

rcb1974 wrote:
Is there an ebuild for this? How hard would it be to make one? I've been using morph-sources but there hasn't been a new release for awhile so I'm looking for a substitute. This one looks promising!

This bug has ebuilds for ArchCK sources.
baeksu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great patchset. I Absolutely love it. Too early to say there's no bugs for me yet, but at least interactivity is really really good.

I'm abusing my system now (load >6), music doesn't skip, windows get drawn properly, everything is lovely responsive.

Thank you very much!
Ignatich
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using this since cko died, very nice and stable patchset, thanks iphitus. But now I'm trying *cough* to migrate to amd64 and I get random crashes seemingly related to reiser4 (they do not happen if I do not mount reiser4 partitions). Any ideas what may be causing this? archck8 + mppe-mppc + routes patch.
iphitus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignatich wrote:
Using this since cko died, very nice and stable patchset, thanks iphitus. But now I'm trying *cough* to migrate to amd64 and I get random crashes seemingly related to reiser4 (they do not happen if I do not mount reiser4 partitions). Any ideas what may be causing this? archck8 + mppe-mppc + routes patch.

How frequently do these occur? This is the first time anyone has reported issues on AMD64 with this reiser4.

Are these issues new with this particular release?

Did you have the problem with any patches before 7.1?

iphitus.
butters
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the main differences between archck and nitro? I'm on an aging 2.6.11-cko5-ck7 kernel and need a migration path.

It's good to see that the arch community is picking up the patchset slack. I distinctly remember when the kernel and hardware section of the gentoo forums would typically have 2 or 3 patchset threads on the first page.
butters
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

butters wrote:
What are the main differences between archck and nitro? I'm on an aging 2.6.11-cko5-ck7 kernel and need a migration path.

It's good to see that the arch community is picking up the patchset slack. I distinctly remember when the kernel and hardware section of the gentoo forums would typically have 2 or 3 patchset threads on the first page.

From my own comparison, it seems like the nitro patchset is based on the -mm tree and currently uses a git snapshot of 2.6.14-rc3. Otherwise the features are very similar. I'm gunna go with archck because nitro seems to be a little balls-to-the-wall right now. The make oldconfig from my previous cko .config wasn't too bad, either.

I went with the complete preempt, including the BKL. I heard that Con himself was debating the benefits of preemption vs. the overhead of the preemption code. Anyone have any further insite or subjective performance anecdotes?
a13x
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wassup iphitus !

I'm using archck8 right now. It seems stable so far. I compiled non-stop for about 4 hours (KDE 3.4.3 + KOffice 1.4.2) without problems. Thx for the release.
butters
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does ipw2100 work with this kernel? There doesn't seem to be any support in the kernel, yet remerging ipw2100 externally fails due to an incompatible ieee80211 subsystem:

Code:
 * Found sources for kernel version:
 *     2.6.13-archck8
 * Checking for suitable kernel configuration options:
 * You kernel source contains an incompatible version of the
 * ieee80211 subsystem, which needs to be removed before
 * ieee80211-1.0.3 can be installed. This can be accomplished by running:
 *   # rm -i /usr/src/linux/include/net/ieee80211.h
 * Please note that this will make it impossible to use some of the
 * in-kernel IEEE 802.11 wireless LAN drivers (eg. orinoco).

Any hints?
iphitus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my observation, nitro has become more experimental since when I used to use it back around 2.6.9 with seppe maintaining it. Nowadays releases often have little or no testing, resulting in kernels that occasionally dont compile, and have a range of bugs.

With ArchCK, I have really tried to focus on providing extra features like ricer4, suspend2 and fbsplash, while retaining stability, keeping good working patches going in it. I realise some stuff is more cutting edge than others, and isnt quite stable, but those things can easily be disabled for those who do not wish to have them.
ArchCK also includes unionfs and squashfs, as the ArchCK patchset is used in the Archie LiveCD. Again, easily disabled in your config. Not sure why -nitro, -morph and friends are including them though, as they are of little relevance outside a LiveCD.

As for pre-empt, Con says turn it off. That's right, select 'Server (No Pre-emption)' in menuconfig.
I've run with both for extended periods of time, and really, there's no noticable difference, and any difference I do notice, may well just be placebo. So, there's no point adding more code into the kernel to make it do more, that does nothing.

And ipw2100, For the ieee80211 stack, it will ask you if you want to replace a file, let it, and it will compile and install fine. ipw2100 and ipw2200 both need patches, which apply to the driver, not the kernel, that are available on my website, iphitus.loudas.com/archck.php

iphitus
Ignatich
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iphitus wrote:

How frequently do these occur? This is the first time anyone has reported issues on AMD64 with this reiser4.
Are these issues new with this particular release?
Did you have the problem with any patches before 7.1?
Very frequently. Not sure about particular release because I just switched to amd64, so this is the first archck release I tried on it. I began my experiments: manually compiled vanilla 2.6.13 kernel with ck8 and reiser4 patch 2.6.13-2 from namesys, added acpi and libaata fixes, vesafb-tng, squashfs, shfs from your patch. It locked sometimes but much less frequently. Tried 2.6.14-rc4 with namesys reiser4 2.6.13-2 (i saw ppl complaining about version from rc2-mm2), ck, squashfs, shfs = no luck, opps at boot in reiser4 code. Friend suggested me 2.6.12-ck2, tried it with manually patched forcedeth driver + shfs + squashfs = opps at boot in reiser4 code. Tried to fsck my partition. All clean, still opps at boot. Removing shfs and squashfs from that kernel helped. Running 2.6.12-ck2 + routes + mppe-mppc + patched forcedeth w/o any problems now.

Conclusion: something really strange happens on amd64 with shfs and squashfs compiled in.

Btw preempt and swap prefetch was always set to off.
iphitus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldnt be compiling squashfs, its irrelevant.

But neither of them make any changes that will cause instability in the kernel. /me thinks it's just placebo.

Are you using custom cflags on the kernel? This will break it.

Are you sure it's the kernel causing it? Nobody on the R4, CK, Suspend2, lists, nor some of my amd64 users have had any problems.

iphitus
butters
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iphitus wrote:
As for pre-empt, Con says turn it off. That's right, select 'Server (No Pre-emption)' in menuconfig.
I've run with both for extended periods of time, and really, there's no noticable difference, and any difference I do notice, may well just be placebo. So, there's no point adding more code into the kernel to make it do more, that does nothing.

And ipw2100, For the ieee80211 stack, it will ask you if you want to replace a file, let it, and it will compile and install fine. ipw2100 and ipw2200 both need patches, which apply to the driver, not the kernel, that are available on my website, iphitus.loudas.com/archck.php

iphitus

Thanks for the info on preemption. I wonder if kernel preemption is undesirable for desktops in theory, or only in this particular style of implementation. Maybe the staircase proc scheduler is good enough at preempting userspace that it is no longer necessary to preempt the kernel. I also assume that kernel preemption becomes less advantageous when there are multiple hardware threads available, and this is the apparent trend.

After removing the ieee80211 kernel header file, ipw2100 (1.1.2) compiled fine without the patch. This bothers me on principle (because now the builtin 802.11 modules won't work), but I guess we'll have things like this until ipw2100 and the updated ieee80211 subsystem get merged into mainline. The ebuild (1.1.2-r3) applies the following patches for kernel versions 2.6.12 or newer, which seem to fix what your patch does, plus some more stuff:

ipw2100-1.1.2-header_data-fix.patch
ipw2100-1.1.2-pci_link-fix.patch
ipw2100-1.1.2-suspend2.patch
ipw2100-1.1.2-wext-crash.patch

Thanks for your help, rebooting now...
butters
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working great now, very snappy. I can say for sure it's at least as responsive as my previous 2.6.11-cko5-ck7. It seems to handle memory better, too. Good stuff.

Looking forward to 2.6.14-archck1...
iphitus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ipw2x00 is in the vanilla kernel as of 2.6.14-rc1

expect a 2.6.14-rcX-archie closer to the 2.6.14 release
lucke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, rc4 is meant to be the last rc before final, so you'd better hurry, iphitus ;-)
iphitus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucke wrote:
AFAIK, rc4 is meant to be the last rc before final, so you'd better hurry, iphitus ;-)

I might just wait for final then :)
Ignatich
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iphitus wrote:
You shouldnt be compiling squashfs, its irrelevant.
But neither of them make any changes that will cause instability in the kernel. /me thinks it's just placebo.
Are you using custom cflags on the kernel? This will break it.
Are you sure it's the kernel causing it? Nobody on the R4, CK, Suspend2, lists, nor some of my amd64 users have had any problems.
iphitus
Well, I wanted to experiment with portage-in-squashfs. No custom cflags, and yes, very slim possibility of hardware problem because I booted from windows partition and stress tested my system with S&M, Super PI and Prime 95. And it worked just fine until I mount reiser4 drive (true for archck8 at least).

I have no idea how squash and shfs can relate to reiser4 problems, but it looks like they do in some obscure way. Anyway it's good that nobody else experiencing such problems, it took me some time to make it work.
butters
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iphitus wrote:
lucke wrote:

I might just wait for final then :)

yeah, that's what I was implying. The new kernel development cycle changes make things a little more predictable. The rc's for 2.6.14 have been coming at 1 week intervals, with the last one coming 6 days ago. Linus merged davem's SPARC branch (supposed to be the only large change allowed after the two-week submission window) and Andrew fixed an obscure build conflict involving ipv6 and netfilter a couple days ago, so I wouldn't be surprised to see 2.6.14 final before wednesday.

Only 4 .y kernels for 2.6.13, that's certainly an improvement!! A combination of increasing stability and shortening development cycles.

It's a small world... nice to see you here, lucke, and thanks again for hosting archbootstrap (and removing the trailing whitespace). I did my Arch install off the Damn Small Linux LiveCD, worked perfectly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: