Power failure during install???
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fwempa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Power failure during install??? Reply with quote

Am in the middle of finalizing my installation. I have the base system in and am currently installing kdm and window managers etc. In middle of emerging kdm, i had a power failure on about #10 of the 36 progs. Is this ok??? when i started it over by rebooting and typing emerge kde it seems to have started over again where it left off. Is this tru or might i have troubles? What usually happens if there is a power failure in the middle of an emerge??

New and still learning....
fwempa
jk3us
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should not be a problem, emerge compiles the package in a working directory and then merges it into the real system once it's all done. So an interuption during compile should have no ill effects. During the actual merge, and power failure could leave some file missing or corrupt, but emerging it again should fix it. Now, if your power went out while merging portage or something portage uses, you may have to boot from the install disc and remerge that package.

Jay K
Grubshka
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally if you redo "emerge kdm" everything will be ok, but if you are maniac you can do "emerge --depclean && emerge kdm"... (you should check before if "emerge --depclean" will not remove other packages than the 10 just installed, you can do that with "emerge -pv --depclean")

For information, there's an emerge log in /var/log/, I thinks it's usefull !
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: