mysql backups using LVM2 snapshots?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
morodoch
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: mysql backups using LVM2 snapshots? Reply with quote

I used to use LVM snapshots to do on-line backups of a couple of database servers. This worked well - it meant no downtime on the server.

It took a while for LVM2 to support snapshots, but it's been available for some time now, albeit marked as experimental.

Anyway, I've been trying to back up a server running 2.6.11-hardened-r15 using LVM2 snapshots, but it seems to break mysql in a couple of different ways.

The setup I'm using is as follows:

kernel 2.6.11-hardened-r15
mysql 4.0.25-r2
master - AMD opteron running in 64 bit mode
slave - pentium3
both master & slave are running the same kernel & mysql versions

I'm trying to back up on the slave, as I'm not brave enough to break the master database :-)

So here's what I do, all on the slave:

1. open a mysql session, and lock the tables read-only
Code:
flush tables with read lock

2. create a snapshot using
Code:
lvcreate -pr -L500M -s -nbackup-snapshot "/path/to/logicalvolume"

3. unlock the tables
Code:
UNLOCK TABLES

4. mount the snapshot using
Code:
mount -oro /dev/datavg/backup-snapshot /mnt/backup-snapshot

5. back up the snapshot using tar
6. unmount & remove the snapshot
Code:
umount /mnt/backup-snapshot|
Code:
lvremove /dev/datavg/backup-snapshot

I think this should work, but sooner or later mysql either dies altogether, or the slave stops replicating, with this in the mysqld error log:

Slave stopping (this can be recovered using /etc/init.d/mysql restart):
Code:

051013 15:01:17 /usr/sbin/mysqld: Incorrect information in file: './test/pbltest.frm'
ERROR: 1033  Incorrect information in file: './test/pbltest.frm'
051013 15:01:17 Slave: Error 'Incorrect information in file: './test/pbltest.frm'' on query. Default database: 'test'. Query: 'insert into pbltest values(3,4)', Error_code: 1033
051013 15:01:17 Error running query, slave SQL thread aborted. Fix the problem, and restart the slave SQL thread with "SLAVE START". We stopped at log 'balti-bin.035' position 4587886

Anyone got any ideas? Or have a working setup for this? Is it likely to be a mysql problem, an LVM2 one, or maybe a kernel problem?
morodoch
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: I guess it's not a mysql problem... Reply with quote

As I was trying out the LVM snapshot, I had one of my users complain about apparent CVS differences (the CVS files are on the same partition as the mysql data files).

When I looked in the CVS file it was half full of nulls!

removing the snapshot fixed this problem.

I guess this means that creating a LVM2 snapshot affects the *original* copy of the file! Aargh!
morodoch
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, this problem has gone away after changing both the kernel & the device-mapper packages.

I've switched to gentoo-sources from hardened-sources, and updated the device-mapper to sys-fs/device-mapper-1.01.03.

I reckon it was the device-mapper package which was causing the problem, but I don't have time to check out these changes individually at the moment.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: