View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shrndegruv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: benifits of modular xorg? Reply with quote

What are they. Do I want to do that? I have a pretty crappy graphics card (I think)

01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV370 [Radeon X300SE]
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When something like XGL is added to xorg, you won't have to recompile the entire tree, just that branch.
That is a huge advantage.

Another is it is easier to release updates/patches for specific parts. (No need to wait until next release)
broken_chaos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: benifits of modular xorg? Reply with quote

shrndegruv wrote:
Do I want to do that?

Probably not. If you don't know what it is, you probably have no need of it currently.

X.org 6.8 works just fine, so if you don't specifically need it, wait for it to be, at least, Gentoo unstable, as opposed to hard masked.
Headrush
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: benifits of modular xorg? Reply with quote

broken_chaos wrote:
X.org 6.8 works just fine, so if you don't specifically need it, wait for it to be, at least, Gentoo unstable, as opposed to hard masked.

I would normally agree with this statement, but your question wasn't should I, but what are the benefits of a modular Xorg.

I don't usually use hard masked packages, but with the release of xorg-x11 7.0, I made the switch and have had zero issues.
Of course I have a Nvidia video card, and we are the chosen ones in regards to Linux video cards, your mileage may be quite different with an ATI card. :)
Raftysworld
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a Radeon 9600, (r300) I too have had zero issues. The new DRI opensource driver works perfectly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: