fcron: could not set nice value: Success
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conditional_Zenith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: fcron: could not set nice value: Success Reply with quote

I am getting lots of log messages saying:

Quote:

<some-date/time> <hostname> fcron[<somePID>]: could not set nice value: Success

These messages always correspond to a message at the same time with the same PID which says "Job <jobname> started for user <username> (pid <some differentPID>)".

These messages about not being able to set the nice value happen almost everytime a job is run, and I can confirm that the jobs are run at nice 0 (they should be running at nice 10).

I can set nice values manually and portage works with is nice variable, and fcron seems to be working fine in all other ways.

Is this a known problem? Have I likely screwed up my config? Is the problem with fcron or somewhere else?
Jylppy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Same problem here Reply with quote

Same problem but no idea how to fix it. J
Conditional_Zenith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got around to looking at it more closely today. It seems that the jobs do run with the correct nice value, it is just that this version of fcron mis-interprets the return value of the nice system call and therefore complains even if nothing is wrong (and ironically, sometimes doesn't complain when things do go wrong). I had a look at fcron-2.9.5.1 (currently ~x86 in portage) and they have fixed the problem there.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: