Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[k menu] - Removing "hardcoded?" options - (Open)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: [k menu] - Removing "hardcoded?" options - (Open) Reply with quote

Another weird topic (TM). I want to rip off the options "Lock session" and "Log out" from the k-menu to do one of my also weird experiments. If that is not possible, does anyone mind to remind me where do the k menu resides? Sorry but im not a true kde user, I suppose it is in any strange folder in my hd, isn't it? If that is true I can always make a menu out of a folder in my hd...
stim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how to remove "Lock Session" and "Log out", although I am pretty sure it is possible. As for the general menu editing, its not so simple as a directory I'm afraid. To edit it you have to use the menu editor (kmenuedit - or just right click on the K and select menu editor). I'm pretty sure that all the information in that is saved in some random configuration files in $HOME/.kde .

It sounds like you are wanting to lock down KDE for users. I have a vague memory of reading about this a while ago (restricting right-click menus, K menus, applet loading etc), but I can't remember where though, sorry.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stim wrote:
I'm not sure how to remove "Lock Session" and "Log out", although I am pretty sure it is possible. As for the general menu editing, its not so simple as a directory I'm afraid. To edit it you have to use the menu editor (kmenuedit - or just right click on the K and select menu editor). I'm pretty sure that all the information in that is saved in some random configuration files in $HOME/.kde .

It sounds like you are wanting to lock down KDE for users. I have a vague memory of reading about this a while ago (restricting right-click menus, K menus, applet loading etc), but I can't remember where though, sorry.

Well, I will tell you about my secret project. There is not so much info out there regarding want I plan to do, so, links are appreciated if someone knows of any. I'm really a fvwm user. But most of the programs I use are qt based (im not falling into the gtk vs qt war, I use as well gtk programs when required). The main problem of qt based programs is that most of them cannot display in any of the systray dockers out there (not a matter of life or death, but very annoying with some applications), so I want to use kicker (which I also love) in one of the possible fvwm configurations that I'm writing.

Fvwm is capable of doing session management and kicker cant do it without loading ksmserver. Anyway, even using ksmserver, kicker is not able to properly shutdown fvwm without doing any ugly workaround (at least i wasn't able to do that). The only ways out there are two: let fvwm the sessions management tasks or use a minimal kde and export KDEWM="fvwm". I prefer the first, since it gives me complete control over what I want to do. The thing is that, if I choose that way I need to find a way to remove that options from the menu, because they become useless (kicker and fvwm do nothing when I select that options).

About the kmenu, I have found the perfect way of doing what I want, so, bye, bye k menu. I did: rclick kicker, select add application to panel, and finally I choose "Add this menu". Which gives me all the k menu stuff without the hardcoded options. As most times, I always overlook the simplest solutions ;)

Thanks and cheers :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: