Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[small command launcher] - Alternatives? - (Open)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: [small command launcher] - Alternatives? - (Open) Reply with quote

I use gmrun under fvwm. I know also about grun and bbrun. What do the rest of you use? I find gmrun convenient and very usefull, I was just wondering if there is anything different out there...

Thanks in advance and cheers :)
Darkael
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use gmrun. Fbrun is good too, but you need to install fluxbox to have it. They both works quite well, the only problem is that sometimes they don't load fast enough (OK, it takes only 1-2 seconds max, but that is too slow when you want to type something quickly)
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Karn, that is the reason why I was asking. Gmrun is a nice piece of software. While being very small and light on resources, it holds all the features that I need: small interface, history and completion, the problem is that it feels awfully slow compared to the rest of my fvwm desktop.

Im doing some improvements on the look and feel of my desktop and was wondering if there is something faster out there. I dont need fancy stuff, just something that I can bind to a key to run commands. Even if I lose the autocompletion and history features it does not matter.

The problem is that, actually, is for me faster to open a xterm (that I binded to the win key) than running gmrun, which is something that makes me think (cause the history and autocompletion features of bash are better :lol: ), and something like rxvt or aterm is even faster to load.

Thanks for the response. ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: