CPU change.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justincataldo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:12 am    Post subject: CPU change. Reply with quote

In the next couple of weeks or so I could possibly be changing my CPU from an Athlon64 3500+ to an Athlon64 3800+ X2 (939) Dual Core. This will be the only hardware change which will take place.

My question is... if I install Gentoo now... will I have to reinstall it again when I drop the new CPU in? Or wouldn't it care?

My CFLAG setting would be the same for both CPUs wouldn't it (CFLAGS="-march=k8 -pipe -O2") even though I'm going from a single core 64bit CPU to a dual core 64bit CPU?
thumper
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All would stay the same except:
you could use MAKEOPTS="-j3" in your make.conf

and you might want to enable SMP support in the kernel.

George
get sirius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumper is politely understating the importance of the SMP kernel. Bluntly, if you don't use an SMP kernel, you wasted your money on the dual-core processor. 8O
snakattak3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did the same thing, going from amd64 to the X2. It was a snap. Just installed the new processor and mobo, and booted. Had to modify a couple things in the kernel for my new motherboard, and update the bios so CoolNQuiet would work, and thats about it. Just chaned my make.conf to make options "-j4" for compiling, and its done. Pretty painless.
justincataldo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snakattak3 wrote:
I just did the same thing, going from amd64 to the X2. It was a snap. Just installed the new processor and mobo, and booted. Had to modify a couple things in the kernel for my new motherboard, and update the bios so CoolNQuiet would work, and thats about it. Just chaned my make.conf to make options "-j4" for compiling, and its done. Pretty painless.

Cool stuff! Was it worth the effort of changing over do you think? What have you seen a significant performance increase in now that you've gone dual core?
snakattak3
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justincataldo wrote:
snakattak3 wrote:

Cool stuff! Was it worth the effort of changing over do you think? What have you seen a significant performance increase in now that you've gone dual core?

I definately notice it when I'm doing a lot of stuff. Earlier I was compiling a program, using dvdshrink, and backing up a dvd at the same time. On a single core, it definately doesn't run as smooth. Programs also load almost instantly. Now do I think it was worth the $450 upgrade? I went from an amd64 3200+ to an x2 3800+ plus a new motherboard. The processors are the same speed, but now there's basically 2 of them. If I had more to spend on this, I'd probably have gone with at least a 4400+ to notice more of a speed boost, but for the most part, I'm pretty happy with it. Haven't yet decided though if its worth the price, but I'm pretty sure I'll get used to it and never go back to single core again, just like I did with dual monitors. I can't use just one now. Its definately nice though.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: