Total Votes : 46

cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athas wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
Gentoo provides or GNU provides? :wink:

I may be wrong, but neither Portage, etc-update, rc-update, the build scripts or the init-scripts are GNU-projects.

i never said it was all GNU... but if you want to go down that way, no GNU = no portage :wink:
Frodg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we need another word or phrase to replace "Distro"

Gentoo Linux Tools
RedHat Linux Tools
Mandrake Linux Tools

OR

Gentoo compliant Linux
Redhat Compliant Linux
Mandrake Compliant............

But if a distro is just a distribution of packages of linux based around a few tweaks for different flavours I am still confused.

/me leaving the thread with multiple personalities in order

HMMMMM :
Gentoo personality
Redhat personality
Mandrake personality :) :)

Gentoo - Registered Linux User # 361400
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
Athas wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

I may be wrong, but neither Portage, etc-update, rc-update, the build scripts or the init-scripts are GNU-projects.

i never said it was all GNU... but if you want to go down that way, no GNU = no portage :wink:

What do you define as a distro or are there any distros at all?
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo_lan wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
Athas wrote:
cokehabit wrote:

What do you define as a distro or are there any distros at all?

very good question :D I suppose people might have varying ideas but in my view a what sets gentoo (a meta-distro) from say Mandrake, Red Hat and Debian is the setup tools for that particular distro, an installer, the tools bundled with it, the desktop enviroments (not theirs but nonetheless) and package management. Gentoo only has the last one. In other words, the ability to have a working computer with DE in about an hour. Gentoo is slightly different, probably every users gentoo is different from anothers where most people who use (for example) Debian may stick to what is on their distro already or what they can get by apt-get
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also the ones that come with GNOME or KDE could be called "complete" but we gentoo users prefer to do things differently see this :D That is the beauty of Gentoo
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
what sets gentoo (a meta-distro) from say Mandrake, Red Hat and Debian is the setup tools for that particular distro, an installer, the tools bundled with it, the desktop enviroments (not theirs but nonetheless) and package management.

Well if a distro is defined on setup tools...gentoo loses the battle. I like the fact that Gentoo can be installed from Knoppix or by the Livecd. I believe Gentoo does come with a unique set of tools and package management which helps it to come close to your definition of a distro. Gentoo also doesn't start with a GUI or desktop interface which is its own unique property which puts it one step closer to meeting your criteria. I believe the only thing Gentoo lacks is a good installer. That may or may not ever occur. If it does...according to your definition...I would consider Gentoo to be a distro.

I still believe that Gentoo is a distro though. :D
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as for the installer there is a list (gentoo-installer) and an IRC channel #gentoo-installer so there might be one on the way :wink:

I wouldn't say its just setup tools though, its the ability of these tools to integrate with its surroundings like YAST. Although there are gentoo tools avaliable, most of the time of the developers is spent making sure the distro actually runs properly
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wouldn't say its just setup tools though, its the ability of these tools to integrate with its surroundings like YAST.

I don't know if Gentoo will ever have that type of integration. This may prevent it from becoming like the other distros.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo_lan wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't say its just setup tools though, its the ability of these tools to integrate with its surroundings like YAST.

I don't know if Gentoo will ever have that type of integration. This may prevent it from becoming like the other distros.

yep, and we dont really want it to, why do i want anything on my box that i didn't ask for?
iTux
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Mac OS X distributions or operating systems?

Are Debian, Gentoo, Redhat distributions or operating systems?

Is the usage of a GNU userland and a Linux kernel is sufficient to call two systems distributions of the same OS no matter how they differ on other aspects?

What if Apple decides to change the kernel (Mach -> Linux) and the userland (BSD -> GNU) of Mac OS X? Mac OS X would become a Linux distro? And the most user-friendly Linux distro :)

What about Debian GNU/kFreeBSD? It is not a Linux OS (no Linux components). Debian GNU/Linux and Gentoo Linux are two Linux distributions, so they must be more similar than Debian GNU/Linux and Debian GNU/kFreeBSD. Right? Or people using Debian GNU/Linux and Debian GNU/kFreeBSD are using the same OS, Debian, but with different kernel?

Really confusing...

I think I will vote no. For me, Gentoo Linux is an operating system not a distribution.

iTux
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iTux wrote:
Are FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, Mac OS X distributions or operating systems?
Both. They are OSes in that, well, they're what make your computer do stuff, but they are distributions in the sense that they have specialized ways of installing a vast array of software that the end-user can choose. (Like Ports for BSD, and Fink/Portage for OS X)
Quote:
Are Debian, Gentoo, Redhat distributions or operating systems?
Both. Same argument as above.
Quote:
Is the usage of a GNU userland and a Linux kernel is sufficient to call two systems distributions of the same OS no matter how they differ on other aspects?
Yes.
Quote:
What about Debian GNU/kFreeBSD? It is not a Linux OS (no Linux components). Debian GNU/Linux and Gentoo Linux are two Linux distributions, so they must be more similar than Debian GNU/Linux and Debian GNU/kFreeBSD. Right?
Wrong.
Quote:
Or people using Debian GNU/Linux and Debian GNU/kFreeBSD are using the same OS, Debian, but with different kernel?
Right.
Quote:
I think I will vote no. For me, Gentoo Linux is an operating system not a distribution.
About Gentoo Linux wrote:
Because of its near-unlimited adaptability, we call Gentoo Linux a metadistribution.

nilson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/about.xml wrote:
Thanks to a technology called Portage, Gentoo Linux can become an ideal secure server, development workstation, professional desktop, gaming system, embedded solution or something else -- whatever you need it to be. Because of its near-unlimited adaptability, we call Gentoo Linux a metadistribution.

PRC
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Do you consider Gentoo a "Distro"? Reply with quote

I'm just curious if people actually consider Gentoo a "distro"? I mean when I think of Distro, I think of Mandriva, Redhat, Lindows....

Gentoo is in my opinion, not a distro...You build the distro yourself. Things are not pacakged for you, settings are not set for you. Maybe this is maybe why Gentoo is really easy to solve problems. YOU did it, so YOU can fix it. When you get a dsitrobution, you have no clue what kernel options they enabled. You really have no clue where they defaulted certain things to. Maybe this comes with some deep usage of the distrobution, but it still seems harder to solve problems on "prepacakged" distros.
omp
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I consider Gentoo a distro because it is one. :roll:
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even LFS is loosely refered to as a 'distro'.. Most people consider Gentoo a meta-distribution
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Do you consider Gentoo a "Distro"? Reply with quote

G4User wrote:
Gentoo is in my opinion, not a distro...You build the distro yourself. Things are not pacakged for you, settings are not set for you. Maybe this is maybe why Gentoo is really easy to solve problems. YOU did it, so YOU can fix it.

So you think YOU did a lot of hard work because YOU adjusted a couple of config files? The real work is done somewhere else, and certainly YOU didn't do it when you system is installed.
at240
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is a distribution. Remember that bit in the installation when you download the stage tarball...? You're getting a selection of stuff whose content has been decided for you. It might be a lot less stuff than you get with ubuntu or Fedora or whatever---granted---and it might be a lot more configurable than some other distros, but that stuff constitutes the base of the Gentoo distribution.

I think you should mark this thread SOLVED. :P
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at240,

Hmm - I not sure I agree with that. I still do stage 1 installs.
You start off with just the tools to compile your own tools, then you do the rest. There is a predefined set of system packages which you will get if you don't edit the list (don't try that at home). Almost everyone needs these packages an there are by and large no alternatives anyway,

The core of Gentoo is portage and the portage tree. Thats a description of how to put your choice of bits for your Gentoo install together. That makes it a meta-distro.

The hard work goes into ebuilds and source code, not the install.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
at240
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@NeddySeagoon:

That's interesting. My rough understanding of distribution is that it comprises the stuff that is bundled with a kernel in order to provide a (in Gentoo's case, minimal) working system. (Maybe I'm wrong?! :oops: I'd be interested to hear other definitions.) Now I know that if we're just dealing with the toolchain and certain system packages there are few alternatives... but I certainly count portage itself as a system package, and seeing as portage is a bit of software that is crucial to the identification of a gentoo system, and seeing as you install it as part of a gentoo installation, I tend to think that that makes the base system a Gentoo distribution rather than just a minimal set of tools common to all linux systems.

So I agree with your last two paragraphs: I wouldn't dispute that portage is the core of gentoo, or that the hard work goes into the ebuilds and code. But the reason you have portage is because it comes as part of the gentoo distribution. Sure, from that point onwards you can think of things as a meta-distribution, because of the freedom it gives you in building the rest of the system, but I'd still argue that that base installation is a distribution! :)
omp
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at240 wrote:
My rough understanding of distribution is that it comprises the stuff that is bundled with a kernel in order to provide a (in Gentoo's case, minimal) working system. (Maybe I'm wrong?! :oops: I'd be interested to hear other definitions.)
Technically, you are correct. :D
krolden
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When in doubt, consult wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distro
sundialsvc4
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, it's a distro. Linux from Scratch is the closest thing that comes to something that is not. (And even then, its "Automated Linux From Scratch (ALFS)" project begins to cross the line ...

Consider what a "distributor" does. They plow into the uncharted territory that consists of a few hundred source-code packages and come up with a logical organization for it all, and then they develop a set of tools and techniques (e.g. emerge) that allow thousands of people around the world to accomplish the same result without duplicating exactly the same effort as they did. And they maintain forums and FAQs and bug-reporting systems like this one. They watch for security problems, update the code-base, and provide the means for those updates to be distributed to each of you, and automatically and correctly installed, when you emerge --sync --update world (or whatever). All of this is what "the distributor" does, and it is quite sensible and valuable.

The system provided by a distributor may be "minimal," or it may be anything but!

If you ever have done "Linux from Scratch" (and I highly recommend that you do so!), you'll see what I mean.

Gentoo is unique in that nearly all of it is, and remains, source-code based. You do a tremendous amount of compiling yourself. You get a system that is highly customized to your setup. And you learn a lot in the process of doing it .. or else you simply do not succeed.
jedsen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is like a make-your-own-distro distro... whatever that means.
omp
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jedsen wrote:
Gentoo is like a make-your-own-distro distro... whatever that means.
No, that's LFS you are talking about. :wink:

Gentoo is just a distro that makes you setup a few things yourself.
sethleon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, it's a distro, no matter how you call it :wink:
it's just not like others.

You decide what GUI should be installed, and much more ..
'emerge', for example is such a powerful tool, you miss in certain other distros :lol:
including an update system to secure both, a stable and updated system :D

No annoying symbols or icons of other distros, just the upper smooth g 8)
(I noticed after e.g. emerging gnome (startup screen) or openoffice-2.0 (startup logo))

I think a distro is like a certain "heart" and some surrounding software.
Thus gentoo is just a distro with it's own "heart" and an environment to choose your favourite software :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: