is there a program that ...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shrndegruv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: is there a program that ... Reply with quote

like others, I like to run transparent terminals on my desktop that monitor different processes. Is there a program that will shrink a terminal and then enlarge it on a mouseover?

thanx
LoDown
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What WM/DE are you using? I know in KDE you can set specific window behaviours, and I believe you can do something like what you are wanting. As for the other WMs...I am not very familiar with them.
shrndegruv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to go with either enlightenment (havent decided which one yet) or fwvm.
adsmith
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pager in enlightenment DR16 has this behavior. I don't recall if the pictured iconification does or not.
shrndegruv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im talking software that you can configure how much difference you want -- that way you can see your stuff on the screen, but it isnt taking up too much space when you dont need it...
asbud
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you talking about a way of emulating that mouseover effect that macs made so popular, but throughout the desktop, on all/any programs? That would be a handy effect, let that terminal run in a corner, almost like a real time screenshot, and when you need it, mouseover and it jumps up... would also be handy for ensuring that the mouse is located where you think it is...

This sounds like a memory hog however, though it may well be worth it.

Although not quite what i think you are looking for, this article suggests that enlightenment might be moving in that sort of dierction, with more mouseover effects and such. Maybe they just need the suggestion...

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/3072

Otherwise this seems to be your original idea. But it would be a great addition to kde.
shrndegruv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what you are describing is exactly what I had in mind. I dont want the terminal (for example) as small as it is in the E16 pager, but I dont want it at normal size either. I want it to scale down when im not interested, and when I am interested to expand to normal size.

I wonder if I could write that program. Im a competent programmer, but I dont know anything about graphics or X or WMs.
asbud
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, if you would be willing to write, i would be willing to test and help out in any way possible. Im not much of a coder, but i have been wanting to learn C or C++ and i have some java experience. This would be one of those, why didnt anybody think of that before, its a damn good idea!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: