Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What is the one thing you love most about Gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aynjell wrote:
codergeek42 wrote:
Aynjell wrote:
omp wrote:
Portage! (other package managers don't let me watch gcc output) :]

Make output, isn't it?
Yes, but make invokes GCC. :)

Hrm, so it's really emerge output by inheritance or some shit? :D
Erm..Yeah. I guess it is. :D
sktrdie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the community most of all....
and of course portage, it's a perfect OS for servers, not much for clients because I don't think users want to waste time compiling when they can get the binary with rpm or .deb
hollywoodcole
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the Best! BECAUSE LARRY THE COW SAID SO!

Hollywoodcole.com
geniux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sktrdie wrote:
I don't think users want to waste time compiling when they can get the binary with rpm or .deb

8O
That's one of the main reasons I use Gentoo, the compiling, it's certainly no waste of time. And due to the combination of compiling and the flags in make.conf, I've got a system that is built exactly for my hardware. And because of all this, my Gentoo system is much faster than every other distro or OS.
400GB + 250GB Samsung SATAII HDD
Gentoo - BeyondSources 2.6.19-20
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you guys. Stop, your embarrassing me!

Who am I trying to kid? Keep it coming! :P
Aynjell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, larry's seen it all. He's used all the other distros, decided they suck, and then started to use gentoo. Hard not to trust a cow that's seen it all... but one thing bothers me. Cows don't have fingers, and gentoo requires a hell of a lot of typing. Enigmatic!
RAM: 2 x OCZ Gold 1024 DDR500 3-4-3-7 (2048)
HDD: Western Digital Raptor
jevidl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the docs are my favorite part.

I initially was thinking portage, but even if I didn't have portage the documenation would still be fantastic.
omp
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we all know the best part about gentoo is curtis119 :lol:
libero
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: no more tech weakling Reply with quote

Hey y'all

How about this one:
knowledge

I mean, before Gentoo I was the tech-world equivalent of the 90-pound scrawny weakling at the beach. People would kick sand in my face and I couldn't get a girl.
I mean, I'm still a n00b here right, but -- in the tech-world equivalent -- girls are starting to notice; I'm starting to get a bit of respect around the beach.

In other words, generally-speaking, the learning is the best part of Gentoo, in my eyes.

Laughs
dontremember
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I like about Gentoo?? Multiple platform support. Back when I started with Gentoo, RedHat had just dropped Sparc support and just about the only other cross-platform version of Linux available was a rather outdated Debian. I *really* like being able to switch between x86 and Sparc systems and have all the same packages with config files in the same places.
NTT
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Portage, and the fact that it has no braindead configuration tools to destroy your setting. Admitted, I did have some experiences with etc-update i wasn't too happy about, but now I just remove most etc-update files and i'm happy with it. I really dislike configuration tools touching my precious configuration.
reub2000
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NTT wrote:
I like Portage, and the fact that it has no braindead configuration tools to destroy your setting. Admitted, I did have some experiences with etc-update i wasn't too happy about, but now I just remove most etc-update files and i'm happy with it. I really dislike configuration tools touching my precious configuration.
I agree. I accidentally wrote over the /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 file on my mythtv. I was wondering why I couldn't watch TV until I relized that ivtv (the driver for the tuner card) wasn't getting loaded.

I definitely like the fact that it compiles programs. I especially like that I can mix diffrent versions of programs. On debian, a package will be compiles to be compatible with only one version of it's dependency. This can make mixing stable, testing, and unstable impossible. On gentoo a program in ~arch will compile on both a system with all stable or all unstable packages.

One other that I don't like is the use settings. It's annoying when you notice a feature missing from your programs, only to find that it was a missing use flag. When I set up my dual-monitor setup I was searching for the reason that windows didnt quite maximize. Turns out it was because I was lacking the "xinerama" use setting.
ecatmur
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With USE flags... I use emerge -DuNav world ("--newuse") to update, and any time there's a new USE flag I check it out and see if I might want it.

Generally I tend to think "eh...why not?", so the devs don't like me posting my emerge --info:
Code:
$ emerge --info
Portage 2.0.53_rc7 (!/portage/make.profile, gcc-3.4.4, glibc-2.3.5.20050722-r0, 2.6.14-gentoo i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.14-gentoo i686 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+
Gentoo Base System version 1.12.0_pre9
dev-lang/python:     2.4.2
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.13
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.59-r7
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r1
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.20-r1
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.11-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86 ~x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O1 -O2 -O3 -pipe -march=athlon-xp -mmmx -msse -m3dnow -mfpmath=387"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/NX/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/X11/xkb /usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/pref /usr/share/config /usr/share/cursors/xorg-x11/default /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/splash /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/web2c /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-O1 -O2 -O3 -pipe -march=athlon-xp -mmmx -msse -m3dnow -mfpmath=387"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig candy ccache digest distcc distlocks fixpackages nostrip sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS=" http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/www.ibiblio.net/gentoo/ http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/gentoo/ http://mirror.ac.uk/mirror/distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/ http://ftp.gentoo.skynet.be/pub/gentoo/ http://ftp.belnet.be/mirror/rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo/ http://gentoo.mirror.sdv.fr/ http://ftp.du.se/pub/os/gentoo/ http://linux.rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/download/gentoo-mirror/ http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo/ "
LANG="en_GB.iso88591"
LINGUAS="en_GB en"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/srv/gentoo/trees/bmg-main /srv/gentoo/trees/lila-artwork /srv/gentoo/trees/gentopia /srv/gentoo/trees/kernel-sources /srv/gentoo/trees/bugs.gentoo.org /srv/gentoo/trees/gst-plugins.catmur.co.uk /srv/gentoo/trees/auto-unmask /srv/gentoo/trees/capella.catmur.co.uk"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.de.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 3dfx 3dnow 3dnowext 7zip X a52 aac aalib accessibility acl alsa apm arj artworkextra async attr avi bash-completion beagle berkdb bitmap-fonts bluetooth bmg bonobo boundschecking breakme browserplugin bzip2 cairo cdda cddb cdio cdparanoia cdr cdrom chm communication composite crypt cscope cups curl daap dbus deb design dga directfb divx4linux djbfft djvu doc dpms dri dts dv dvd dvdr dvdread dvi edl eds effects emboss encode epiphany epiphany-extension esd ethereal evo faad fam fat fbcon ffmpeg firefox flac flash font-server foomaticdb fortran fpx freetype gaim galago gb gcl gd gdbm ggi gif gimp gimpprint glade glep glitz glut glx gnome gnomecanvas gnomedb gnomeoffice gnumeric gnutls gphoto2 gpm graphviz gsf gstreamer gtk gtk2 gtkhtml gtksharp guile gzip hal hddtemp howl icu id3 imagemagick imap imlib imlib2 info inherit-graph inkjar insecure-savers ipv6 irmc iso java javascript jbig jfs jpeg kerberos latex lcms ldap lha libcaca libg++ libgda libwww live logrotate lzo mad maildir man matroska md5sum mdb mikmod mime mmx mmx2 mmxext mng mono mozdevelop mozilla mozsvg mp3 mpeg msoffice muine mysql nautilus ncurses network new-login nfs nls nntp nocd nptl nptlonly nsplugin ntfs nvidia oav offensive ogg oggvorbis openal opengl openssh opi oss pam pam_console pda pdf pdflib perl plotutils plugin pmount png pop pop3 postscript ppds productivity python quicktime rar readline real reiserfs rpm rtc ruby samba sasl scanner screen sdl skippy-xd slang sms sndfile socks5 sox speex spell sqlite sse ssl subversion suspend2 svg svga sysfs t1lib tar tcpd tetex theora tiff truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode usb vcd videos vim-with-x vorbis win32codecs wmf wxwin wxwindows xanim xchattext xface xfs xine xing xml xml2 xprint xrandr xscreensaver xv xvid xvmc yv12 zip zlib zoo linguas_en_GB linguas_en userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
Unset:  ASFLAGS, CTARGET, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS

Yep: a custom make.profile, 8 overlays, and 275 USE flags... ;)
StarDragon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things that brought me to Gentoo was versatility, and simplicity. Oh yeah, having a console with a bunch of compile jargon... That's living the dream baby. 8)
geniux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecatmur wrote:
With USE flags... I use emerge -DuNav world ("--newuse") to update, and any time there's a new USE flag I check it out and see if I might want it.

Generally I tend to think "eh...why not?", so the devs don't like me posting my emerge --info:
Code:
$ emerge --info
Portage 2.0.53_rc7 (!/portage/make.profile, gcc-3.4.4, glibc-2.3.5.20050722-r0, 2.6.14-gentoo i686)
[....]

Yep: a custom make.profile, 8 overlays, and 275 USE flags... ;)

Why don't you put every specific use-flag for each app in /etc/portage/package.use? Heh, could make the devs more happy :wink:
400GB + 250GB Samsung SATAII HDD
Gentoo - BeyondSources 2.6.19-20
Drysh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very best thing is the look on the face of my friends...

What's the name of that app again? emerge Foobar ... startx ... some media player to let the time pass ... Ok... It's instaled and working... -WHAT??? But how??? You were not instaling anything... You were not downloading... And where are the makes? Damn, I did not know there was a binary for that. ... -No, its not a binary, I just emerged it. As a matter of fact, my whole system is compiled here, specialy for THIS box. I'm using Gentoo. ... -Oh! You use Gentoo? (his/her eyes wide open, showing a new respect) ;)

Maybe its not the best thing... But its great to see how people react when they first see a Gentoo box in action. :D
micmac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's definitely the cleanliness (who would have thought).

No matter what I install and deinstall later I'll be able to track down left over files (just using cruft and common sense) and delete them. Thanks god Linux doesn't come with a registry :-) Some could think this is ridiculous, but I like it.

I remember issues after updating udev to a more recent version. Those were fixed my simply removing left over files in /etc/udev. As far as I can remember etc-update didn't show me those, because they weren't replaced, but just protected from removal by portage, because they were configuration files.

Thanks for having me ;-)

mic
LemurFromTheId
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I switched to Gentoo (from Windows, after trying some other distros out there) one and a half years ago was that I wanted to have absolute control over the box. I got that.

I stayed because of great package management and even better community.
bLaXe
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched to gentoo because I wanted to have control over exactly what was on my system. I used to dual boot with windows2k because I never managed to get a linux based system how I wanted it. Switched to gentoo, 2 months later go rid of windows completely. Haven't missed it one bit.

Portage is fantastic, but the best thing about gentoo is the level of support provided by the forums.
djpharoah
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo is 100% fully customizable.
anything is possible within your imagination

thats why...

oh yeah..cuz the community rox as well
Aynjell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love teh community. Even when I'm not using 64 bit gentoo I frequent #gentoo-amd64 because of the guys n' gals that hang out in there. Great people, well, most of them. :lol:
Ma3oxuct
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ability to play around with ebuilds.
evinay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: best thing Reply with quote

emerge everything,easiest thing after all!love it!
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything I think Portage is probably the most difficult package manager to use out of all the ones I have ever used (Not counting Ports which I have never really played around with enough to really judge fairly.] despite that what keeps me using Gentoo is that I can take obscure app Z from site X and install it the good old fashioned way and chances are its not going to run into nasty devel library dependency BS problems..(assuming the paths are not exotic, which is usually the case luckily.) in one word CONSISTENCY. Aside from Portage the applications themselves are relatively current maybe even alittle too current sometimes but oh well.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
Aynjell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portage isn't hard to use. I've used several package management systems, and while RPM is point and click, ooo, look how easy that was! Yeah, but I can't do much else with it. Portage is a lot easier to use the way I WANT TO USE IT.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: