/usr/linux/src doesn't exist
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i am an idea
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: /usr/linux/src doesn't exist Reply with quote

I couldn't decide whether this post should go under the grub problems or just on its own, and I'm very limited on time right now so I'm making it its own. I got one of the main GRUB errors, where I need to make sure that the kernel exists and so forth, and I'm sure the solution posted on the main topic of that would work just fine, but it seems that /usr/src/linux doesn't exist. I booted from the CD, which was probably a stupid thing to do since last time I did that mid installation (don't ask) a lot of things seemed to dissapear, so that I could see what exactly was going wrong and attempt the solution previously posted.

Anyone, please help? I need this damned thing up by Sunday.

Thanks,
Adam
Dlareh
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/usr/src/linux should be a symlink to one of the kernel source trees in /usr/src. You can create this symlink using `cd /usr/src; ln -s <source tree> linux'

For more information (a.k.a. what you should have done to begin with), visit http://docs.gentoo.org/list.xml and CTRL+F for kernel. There is a kernel guide and a genkernel guide.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: /usr/linux/src doesn't exist Reply with quote

i am an idea wrote:
I booted from the CD, which was probably a stupid thing to do since last time I did that mid installation (don't ask) a lot of things seemed to dissapear ...

Once you have mounted your partitions again (just like the first time), all the things you are looking for should reappear.

Then you just need to do the chroot step. That will get you back into the installation environment, where you can continue where you left off.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: