View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:43 am    Post subject: [__DEPRECEATED__]CONRAD - Install LiveCD 0.1 Reply with quote

CONRAD Gentoo Projects - Minimal Install LiveCD
-----
Installing gentoo with reiser4 has been incorporated into a guide --- It is very simple to follow, it uses 1 script to acquire the stage3/portage-latest tarball and another script that runs and builds a new toolkit w/ gcc 3.4.4 and nptl, etc. Check it out HERE
-----
What is it?
Well, it is almost the exact same thing as the gentoo 2005.1 install livecd, except it includes a few differences, (reiser4progs/libaal, nitro-sources, grub)

Why did you make it?
Well, reiser4 is the FASTEST filesystem, and it is not supported by, and probally won't be supported by gentoo/ nor official kernel sources for awhile --- The only other way to get reiser4 as of now is to either install using lxnay's livedvd's (2 gb+) or copy the entire existing filesystem to reiser4, this is a bit easier

What does it include?
Everything the standard gentoo livecd includes +
* Reiser4progs/libaal 1.0.5
* Nitro-Sources-2.6.14_rc3-nitro1 "Braineating Monsterpenguin"
* Grub 0.97, instead of isolinux

How to install gentoo with reiser4
1. Get this livecd, burn it, and boot it
2. instead of mkfs.ext3, or mkreiserfs, use "mkfs.reiser4 /dev/hdx"
3. When compiling the kernel you need a reiser4 patch --- There are pre-patched sets for the linux kernel that there are avaliable ebuilds for, and they include reiser4 support
Reccomended Patchsets:Nitro-Sources, Morph-Sources, Or just plain reiser4 patch applied to gentoo-sources for stability

Kernel
Includes a universal config file, that should work on Most* systems, tons of modules are compiled in for drivers, etc

-----
HOWTO: Install Grub With REISER4
Visit, this page, https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-395522.html , and scroll to the bootloader.

Required
* A i586 CPU or higher
* Knowledge to install gentoo
* Reiser4 patched kernel or a bundled patchset (such as nitro)
* Nsane457's Grub w/ reiser4 overlay ebuild
-----

Download
Sorry I have no other mirrors available :( --- If you are willing to donate one with about 200 mb space atleast I would be grateful, and so would others :)

HTTP Mirror
Holding 100 gb bandwidth per month...
http://bfgraphics.net/conrad/releases/conrad-gentoo-install-2005.1-livecd-0.1.iso

FileFront:
http://files.filefront.com/Conrad_Gentoo_Install_LiveCD/;4280121;5;/fileinfo.html
(Note: I believe you need an account for this, and you may have to wait in line for the server, but it's all that's avaliable for now

MD5 Sum
Code:
F6810452EE7AE234B693AD38CFAD6BC1 *conrad-gentoo-install-livecd.iso

-----

I hope this will come in handy for some of you, I know it did for me :)

-----
The next release will include...
* FrameBuffer and No-FB boot options with a custom conrad fbsplash (I'm working on it)
* Possibly more stable kernel sources, such as gentoo-sources patched with reiser4 patch
* amd64 cd
-----
Also expect from Conrad Gentoo Projects...
* Stage3 Tarballs (Coming Soon)
- Coming Probally next, or before next month
- i686 tarball #1 (GCC 3.4.4, optmized CFLAGS and STABLE LDFLAGS- such as built with -Os, etc - nptl)
- i686 tarball # 2(GCC 4.0.2, nptl, no LDFLAGS, non-optmized CFLAGS - O2, etc)
- x86 tarball # 1 (GCC 3.4.4, linuxthreads, STABLE LDFLAGS, optmized CFLAGS , -Os, etc)
- AMD 64 tarball #1 (GCC 3.4.4, nptl, STABLE LDFLAGS, Optimized CFLAGS, -Os, etc)
- AMD 64 tarball #2 (GCC 4.0.2, nptl, NO LDFLAGS, STABLE CFLAGS)
* Conrad Install LiveCD (Released)
- As seen here
- An install LiveCD with reiser4 support
- To become more customized soon (custom conrad fbsplash, more boot options)
* Conrad LiveCD
- Coming Soon
- Can be used to install gentoo in a pretty KDE or GNOME environment, or a graphical rescue
* Conrad SH Automatic Gentoo Install Script
- Coming Soon
- 2-Part install script FINISHED I will add a guide on howto install gentoo with it later.
*Conrad Automated Gentoo Installer CD
- Coming Possibly January/Feburary of 2006
- A bootable CD that will setup Gentoo the Conrad Reccomended Way (similar to how kororaa and jackass! are setup) and save you typing
- Has options to emerge different Graphical environments, xorg-x11, or nothing -- after it is confirming you are on the internet
-----

Hope you get to see more from Conrad Gentoo Projects
The next thing coming (soon) is the stage3 tarballs
Then the Install LiveCD will keep being updated and working in a framebuffer
Then the Graphical LiveCD will be created after the tarballs are being created

Then possibly early next year the installer will be finished (C++ - No prebuilt packages, just an installation guided installer)
Lost in android development land.

Last edited by cheater1034 on Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:56 pm; edited 13 times in total
Lenz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it possible to share it via bittorrent or so? I don't want to sign up at filefront, but I would like to try your Live-CD. :-)

| Gentoo Linux since v1.4 (08-2003) [Screenshot]
| NetHack Highscore: 5.476.380 Pts., Val-Dwa-Fem-Law, ~ ascended to demigoddess-hood ~
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible, however there would be about no one to seed it, except me, and my upload rate is only about 50 kb/s max, my download it more like 300 kb/s.
-----
Later on, I'll find a mirrror, I'll either put it on my webserver, (which only has 100 gb bandwidth per month)
I'm sure it won't get hurt that badly
-----
Check back at about 4 pm (eastern) and I might have it uploaded by then

And I love this livecd, it works perfect I installed gentoo with reiser4 and it works great, so you definitely should check back later and you could download it.
Lenz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few seconds ago I noticed that it's not nescessary to sign up at FileFront. So I'll download it there... (hope it works) ;)

I was looking for such a Live-CD for a while, because the Reiser4 Live-CD I have has only reiser4utils 1.0.1, that's a bit outdated. ;)

Edit: No, it didn't work. :(

| NetHack Highscore: 5.476.380 Pts., Val-Dwa-Fem-Law, ~ ascended to demigoddess-hood ~
Lenz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, now it worked with FileFront.

cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New HTTP Link added
zend
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it work for SCSI hard disk?
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zend wrote:
Will it work for SCSI hard disk?

I believe SCSI is compiled into the kernel.

If it is not, I will fix it in the next livecd I make.
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added a grub 0.96 ebuild with the reiser4 patch, allowing you to install to a reiser4 filesystem ---
Created by Nsane457:
http://home.comcast.net/~plevine457/
mbar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My computer just switches off (like power outage) when compiling this grub on reiser4 partition in chroot. Can't see any error messages. I use gcc 4.02 if that matters.
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mbar wrote:
My computer just switches off (like power outage) when compiling this grub on reiser4 partition in chroot. Can't see any error messages. I use gcc 4.02 if that matters.

Try the new ebuild, Nsane457's didn't work properly and had out of date patches, I changed it to the same as a 0.96-r2 ebuild with newer patches, and the reiser4 patch, it should work properly now.
mbar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ebuild? Any link? :)
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: CONRAD - 586 2005.1 Gentoo Install LiveCD/reiser4 Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:

HOWTO: Install Grub With REISER4
To get grub installed, do the following...
1. wget http://bfgraphics.net/grub-0.96-reiser4-conrad.tar.bz2
2. tar jxvf grub-0.96-reiser4-conrad.tar.bz2
3. mkdir -p <your_overlay_DIR>sys-boot/grub
# A common overlay directory is /usr/local/portage, define in make.conf with PORTDIR_OVERLAY=path
4. cp sys-boot/grub/* <overlay_DIR>/sys-boot/grub
5. Now emerge it.. <Note: The command provided is the simplest way, because if you type emerge grub, it will emerge the grub in portage, it will make you wait 10 seconds>
6. Now run, "emerge <overlay_dir>/sys-boot/grub/grub-0.96-r100.ebuild
7. Type in the grub terminal "root (hd0,x)" -- No quotes, change according to your HDD, hd0,0 is hda1, hd0,1 is hda2, etc
8. Now run "setup (hd0)" without any quotes
9. Now type "quit" and grub should successfully be installed.

mbar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx, I didn't notice different domains :D

EDIT: Said unfortunate poweroffs were connected to enabling swap (swapon /dev/hda1). I tried again without swap and it worked. BUG?
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not experienced any problems of the such.

You mean swapon causes it to crash when compiling grub? I will look into that further, but so far I haven't had the problem.
mbar
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, enabling swap caused repeatable crashes, three times during emerge grub, but later on even when I was running tar -x. I used your LiveCD to change filesystem from XFS to R4 on my laptop. I tarred whole disk to smb share on my server, then I burnet that .tar on DVD. I reformatted laptop drive to R4 and went to untarring from DVD. Because I have 768 MB RAM in it, I didn't bother enabling swap for the first few times, but only later. Then I experienced such crashes. I tried other small LiveCD with reiser4 and new kernel (RIP - Rescue Is Possible) and it had no issues when swap was enabled.
My laptop has Pentium III processor. Maybe you have chosen wrong architecture for your LiveCD kernel (and incorporated illegal instructions for P3) or used swap prefech?
steelrose
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.I was trying before to install gentoo with this method so i create 3 partitions(boot=hda1 reiser4,swap=hda2,/=hda3
reiser4) and followed the howto on documentation section of the forum.While executing the second script compiling failed at ccache.Anyone had issue with this?
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: CONRAD - 586 2005.1 Gentoo Install LiveCD/reiser4 Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:

Why did you make it?
Well, reiser4 is the FASTEST filesystem, and it is not supported by, and probally won't be supported by gentoo/ nor official kernel sources for awhile --- The only other way to get reiser4 as of now is to either install using lxnay's livedvd's (2 gb+) or copy the entire existing filesystem to reiser4, this is a bit easier

Reiser4 is a high throughput filesystem so yes it's fast but it has utterly horrible latency so it is not adviceable on a desktop, don't just take my word for it - Con Kolivas, the guy everyone adores for his work on improving interactivity says the same thing. Aside small things like the fact that Reiser4 is not ready for inclusion in mainline for a reason and the rather unstable state it's in, it's just not a good choice for most people.
ericsson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: CONRAD - 586 2005.1 Gentoo Install LiveCD/reiser4 Reply with quote

Very nice

Thanks
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelrose wrote:
Hi.I was trying before to install gentoo with this method so i create 3 partitions(boot=hda1 reiser4,swap=hda2,/=hda3
reiser4) and followed the howto on documentation section of the forum.While executing the second script compiling failed at ccache.Anyone had issue with this?

Well ccache is not necessary, however, post the error it is giving you.

Also, a word of advice, don't make your boot partition reiser4, ext2, or ext3 is a much better option.
HecHacker1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: CONRAD - 586 2005.1 Gentoo Install LiveCD/reiser4 Reply with quote

playfool wrote:
cheater1034 wrote:

Why did you make it?

Reiser4 is a high throughput filesystem so yes it's fast but it has utterly horrible latency so it is not adviceable on a desktop, don't just take my word for it - Con Kolivas, the guy everyone adores for his work on improving interactivity says the same thing. Aside small things like the fact that Reiser4 is not ready for inclusion in mainline for a reason and the rather unstable state it's in, it's just not a good choice for most people.

I have to disagree with this. Hans Reiser has already fixed all of the issues that prevent Reiser4 from being included in the main kernel. It's simply now a problem of Linus and Hans not getting along so Linus is basically refusing to insert the Reiser4 code until it matches the linux handbook's style manual. But as far as functionality, all should be well, it even supports 4k stacks (meaning a lot of latency was removed).

I have reliably used Rieser4 from the first beta testing days. It smokes the rest of the filesystems, it's a tangible difference. It does great on the portage database, flying through it.

I just recommend that you make a clean reiser4 1.0.5 partition and install from there, don't try the conversion from 1.0.0 to 1.0.5 because you are bound to come into problems.
Minona
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please an AMD64 version ASAP!

Thanks in advance!
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minona wrote:
please an AMD64 version ASAP!

Thanks in advance!

Will come with V. 0.2 of the LiveCD :)

the new livecd for x86 processors is building right now - When I'm done with it I'll make an amd64 version (possibly)

the new version will include archck-sources-2.6.14-r1, a custom conrad fbsplash, documentation, and install scripts.
Minona
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when when when ?????

I'm waiting for your livecd to setup my new linuxbox!!!!!!

thanks!!

bye
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minona wrote:
when when when ?????

I'm waiting for your livecd to setup my new linuxbox!!!!!!

thanks!!

bye

Very soon, I just got through re-building the system on the amd64 livecd directory, and the x86 livecd directory - I'd say .02 will be done during the week, when it's done, I will do basic testing, then upload it.

I've been working on a pretty fbsplash/gensplash for it, based on the "NewLinux" bootsplash theme - Everything should look well and go well when finished :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: