View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAngeli
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: When will Wine become easier? Reply with quote

Hi,

I finally was able to install winecvs on my gentoo amd64 PC.
Now, I have to first install basic system like: Installshield (dcom98.exe), install .msi (instmsia.exe), and some additional files, like riched20, riched32.dll), mfc40.dll.

I then have to set the dll override, which I do not know how to do it.
Then, I can install Internet Explorer, Autocad 14, and other apps.

Questions:
1) Is what I have so far listed sufficient, in order not to have problems during installation?
2) How to setup Winecvs --> Libraries properly?
3) In applications, under Windows can I live as default Windows 2000? Then, I create individual applications and add them into the list and adapt them to the proper windows version. Right?

Please I find it very difficult to install Internet Explorer and other applications because very confusing. Some say one thing. Others say something else.

I was following http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?versionId=469 manual. Rather I have another way to install IE: http://frankscorner.org/index.php?p=ie6

Now what do I have to do, what to follow and how to manage the dll portion so that it is not only properly set in winecfg ---> Library but also into ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32?
All dll files should be saved into ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system or ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32?

Please advice a lot as I have been two weeks trying to solve this issue and no kuck.
I tried other scripts, like Sidenet Wine configuration utility but I would rather not use it.

Thank you,
Spiro
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is off-topic, but did you know that WINE is supposed to release the first beta version next Tuesday?

I don't have WINE installed right now (I'm waiting for Tuesday), but I have had it in the past. I used the WineCVS script provided here http://winecvs.linux-gamers.net/index.php/Main_Page. I seem to remember that it had options for installing all the additional pieces like DCOM and such.

Hope it helps.
widremann
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want Wine to be easier, plop down some money and get yourself CodeWeaver's Crossover Office. It has a decent set of programs that generally "just work" and it installs them for you, including any quirks that there might be. It's not 100% foolproof, but it's better than meddling around in some Wine config file in the vain hope of getting your favorite Windows program to work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: