Portage --OUT OF DATE
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
static_void
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Portage --OUT OF DATE Reply with quote

One of the many things that makes gentoo soo attractive is its ports bases system, emerge. In theory we should have all the newst functions programs available at the tips of our finger....So why is it either there are A) A shit load, and I mean SHIT load of behind ebuilds, or ebuilds that dont build, Do either the developers not test their shit or what? Why is it when I recently tried to emerge kvirc I got GCC errors which caused it to quite compiling, I really am very Pissed about the out of dateness of the portage ebuilds
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please calm down. Gentoo is a bleeding edge distrobution. The developers are putting everything they can into getting things ready for the 1.4 release. I'm sure that they are working as hard as possible to test all the ebuilds and make sure everything is working. If you have trouble with some packages, there are steps that you can take. You can report the errors to https://bugs.gentoo.org. You can also make sure that you are not using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" because those ebuilds are marked as unstable. You can post your problems to the forums and receive help here. Thanks! :)
dev
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, as to things failing to compile..

What is your ACCEPT_KEYWORDS setting? Is it ~x86? Are your cflags complicated?

Next..
What packages do you find outdated? You know you can browse /usr/portage and you'll notice that there are alot of untested packages that are masked, either by being in the untested/unstable tree or being masked by package.mask. Which is the way it *should* be. Until a package has been properly tested, it shouldn't go mainstream. Every distro does this, it would be crazy to do it any other way.

As for kvirc.. Well I've never used or emerged it before, but when I saw your post I decided to emerge it.. It emerged fine.
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As with building anything from source there are a lot of variables that determine the way the source is built, just look at the configure scripts! You then have USE and CFLAGS on top of that. Normaly when the error is gcc related its not to do with the ebuild script itself but the actual code and a conflict with your configuration. If you would prefer not to build from source you can allways try GRP.
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if this is super-hyper-off-topic, I'd like to say that reading this post I decided to try to emerge kvirc to test the ebuild (also because there were no deps involved and I never used it).

Thanks, I found a very nice app...

Back to the topic, IMHO the up-to-dateness of the ebuilds depends on the popularity of the package. I.e. the last version of kvirc is available. Some other packages are a bit older, BillardGL, if I'm right was some relases behind when I emerged it. Of course kvirc is more popular than BillardGL and (I think) gets more support (correct me if I'm wrong).

I think that this is understandable...
static_void
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Sorry for harsh come on Reply with quote

:oops:
I am a CS freshman and I just got out of my calc class and got a 20 % on my midterm, I think I was just lashing out at portage. My Keywords are commented out, my cfalgs are -pipe -03 -mmmx -msse -msse2 -mfpmath=sse, has anyone else had similar probs with a p4, I mean everything else built fine, and is blazingly fast... I will retry emerging kvirc tonight.....Thanks again guys
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, there has been a freeze on the portage tree which will delay updates to some packages. The freeze was recently lifted, as mentioned in Mar 03rds GWN.
JayBee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have -march=pentium4? if so, try setting it to -march=pentium3 or -march=i686, as there are some known bugs with the -march=pentium4 (and -march=athlon-4) from what I have read.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, i havn't had an ebuild fail in a loooong time. However the portage freeze was a little annoying and unnecessary, imo, since gentoo is really versionless. However I can also see where the devs are coming form.
jufoa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that gentoo is most up2date distro around. nothing else comes even close. i like it a lot.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: