View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
allistarM
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Triple/quad head display performance Reply with quote

Hi all,
On my P4 2.4GHZ with 1Gb RAM I have an AGP NVidia GeForce Ti4200 and a PCI NVidia GeForce FX5200. Both of these cards have dual outputs. I moved from a dual head display with just the AGP card to a triple head display using both cards. Under the dual head configuration I was using the NVidia "TwinView" option rather than Xinerama. Now that I have a triple head setup I can no longer use TwinView and need to use Xinerama (It seems you can't do TwinView across more than one NVidia card, at least not to present 3 different screens).

The performance of KDE 3.4.1 seems worse under the triple head configuration than under the dual head. Screen refreshes and painting of dirty areasis noticably slower. I have no background wallpaper. The Nvidia cards are working in accelerated mode.

The layout section of my xorg.conf is:

Code:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen  0 "ScreenA"
        Screen  1 "ScreenB" RightOf "ScreenA"
        Screen  2 "ScreenC" RightOf "ScreenB"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
        Option "Xinerama" "on"
EndSection

Is the performance difference because I now have a PCI card in the mix while before it was just AGP? X seems to consume a lot more CPU than it did previosusly (moving windows etc makes the CPU usage jump higher than it did before).

Is there any reason why triple head using Xinerama would be noticable than dual head using TwinView?

Thanks,
Allistar.
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<Eric Cartman>I hate you Kenny.</Eric Cartman> :-) I'm stuck with one 17" Samsung SyncMaster 700s that is ?? years old. Good for you.

Now to get back on topic. I would guess that you are right about having the PCI card in the mix. Especially since it is a different model than the AGP card. I mean FX5200 versus Ti4200 as opposed to having an AGP and PCI version of the same card in the machine.
allistarM
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now used to the performance loss after using it for a couple of weeks. I'd rather gain more real estate (3840x1024!) and had it seem a tad slower than be stuck with only 2560x1024. I duppose I should be glad triple head across two cards works at all.

Thanks anyway.
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might search online to see if you can pick up an AGP version of the FX5200 or a PCI version of the Ti4200 really cheap. If you could find one cheap enough, it might be worth it to get one to see if it helps. (it would have to be a really good price though)

Sorry I couldn't offer any better suggestions.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: