After Chroot, network doesn't work....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
javamdk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: After Chroot, network doesn't work.... Reply with quote

Hey guys,
This will be my second attempt in a long time to install Gentoo. Although, now I have a little more time to play with it. I am very determined to get this sucker working... I mean c'mon, I wanna make some sense of this.

Following the installation instructions for Gentoo 2005.1, I've had my network all working just from the beginning. I could ping out, go out on links2 and what have you. But once I came to the section "Entering the New Environment", I can't ping out... it says, "the host cannot be found."

This is what I typed in, when the network dropped:

#chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash

when I type, #ifconfig eth0... it shows my network interface with the local IP (192.169.0.3). It's the same as it was when it was working (before I chroot)

What do I do now? How do I get the network up?

Thank you,
Jr
1.87 Pentium M 60GB
jamesrt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: After Chroot, network doesn't work.... Reply with quote

javamdk wrote:
Following the installation instructions for Gentoo 2005.1, I've had my network all working just from the beginning. I could ping out, go out on links2 and what have you. But once I came to the section "Entering the New Environment", I can't ping out... it says, "the host cannot be found."

Sounds like you haven't setup the /etc/resolv.conf file in the chroot environment correctly. Before running "chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash", you need to:
Code:
cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/chroot/etc
javamdk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tried that the first time and it didn't work... but now it's kind of late, since I already chroot.

Anyway to reverse the chroot? Then I can try that again?

//edit//
I know what was in resolv.conf... I just made the file in "/etc/" with it having
Code:
nameserver 192.168.0.1

but it still doesn't work 8O

//edit//
I really shouldn't speak so soon... I did "ifconfig down" then "ifconfig up" and it WORKS!!!

Thank you :) 8)

Now off attempting the rest of the installation
1.87 Pentium M 60GB
jamesrt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

javamdk wrote:
Well I tried that the first time and it didn't work... but now it's kind of late, since I already chroot.

Anyway to reverse the chroot? Then I can try that again?
Yes, just type "exit" from the bash prompt to exit the choot environment.

What the command "chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash" command does is run another copy of "bash" (the command interpreter, basically the Linux equivalent to MS-Dos's command.com), but makes /mnt/gentoo the "/" directory first.

So, if you exit the new bash shell, you go back to your original environment (this will be done towards the end of the installation, by the way).

To get back in again, just run the "chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash" command again.

Glad you're working now.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: