Boot seems to hang on *Calculating Module Dependencies
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fwempa
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Boot seems to hang on *Calculating Module Dependencies Reply with quote

On booting there is a long pause on the *Calculating Module Dependencies step. Is this normal? Can it be accelerated?
PaulBredbury
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Boot seems to hang on *Calculating Module Dependencies Reply with quote

It's normal for there to be a pause. It shouldn't be long, unless you have a slow hard disk and CPU.
grahamkane
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

up until today gentoo (2005.0) has been working fine: my HD is new & CPU is pretty good so i never really noticed any long pauses at this step.

Now, though, it permanently (well, 30mins - couldn't be bothered waiting any longer) hangs at the *Calculating Module Dependencies stage.

As i said it was fine up until then, and i cant remember doing anything that would seriously mess up my system.

any ideas? :?

thanks.
tomalok
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having the same problem on my Dell XPS laptop (3.4 MHz P4)... It was working fine with gentoo-sources-2.6.12-r10, but when I try going to 2.6.13-r3 it's just dog slow... using the 2.6.12-r10 config as a base for genkerneling 2.6.13-r3. it seems to get really slow right around where it says it's using balanced irq, ipi shortcut mode, and freeing unused memory...
tomalok
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought i just nailed it after disabling balanced irq's in the kernel but then it sat and thought a while at Coldplugging usb devices... until i pressed SysRq (maybe it woke it up, maybe just coincidence) and the slowness continues.
tomalok
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found it!

http://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5165

I applied the patch in comment #16 to gentoo-sources-2.6.13-rc5, rebuilt the kernel, and problem solved!

problem's associated hyperthreading and choosing the appropriate C-state on boot...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: