View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AllenB
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Gnome Sound Events Problem [solved] Reply with quote

Hey all,

I am having a strange problem with my Gnome audio setup. First of all I am running an 64bit system with Gnome 2.12.

My problem is this. Everything that uses audio works except for Gnome sound events. I can bring up the sound preference tool from the Desktop menu but I can't play any of the .wav files listed there. I can play the .wav files from the desktop. I think the audio from the games is not working as well. As for everything else, audio works. Movies, mp3's, and so forth.

I have used both Kernel alsa drivers as well as the alsa-driver package. Same results using both.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited by AllenB on Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
olger901
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the gnome configuration also updated to use alsa instead of oss or esd? (This can be done using the Gnome Configuration Editor)
Or are you using esd if so you might need to start the esd daemon using /etc/init.d/esound start
AllenB
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still having the problem.

The sound card is up and working correctly. I get sound out of everything except gnome sound events and gnome games.

Since I can get sound out of programs like xmms, america's army, and so forth. I must be missing something with my gnome 2.12 install or I don't have some config file set up correctly.

I did go through the gnome configuration and selected both alsa and esd. Both work when tested from the multimedia select tool but no sound from events or games.

I googled this problem and I have found others with the same problem but no answers anywhere.

In the mean time I have turned of the sound server and events for gnome.
AllenB
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved

Did emerge -e world
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: