View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aanund
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: dc-gui / dc-gui2 Reply with quote

It used to work, not it doesnt:=)

Problem:
Every time I try to actually dl a file (all legit mind you;), I get the GDL, and then it just hangs on "waiting", no matter what I do, I just cannot get the dl to start. In the error log, I sometimes get errors referring to "bad param", and others seem to be some font-type problem.

What I have done to solve this:
unmerged, emerged again, emerged newer versions, removed all files referring to dctc or dc-gui, enabled Utf-8, disabled Utf-8, changed my locale settings.

Result:
ARGHLH! Nothing works! *cry* I am now working out from the assumption that there is a combination of this I have to find.

So, if anyone has been through something similar and have gotten it to work, or have some educated guesses. Bring them on!

Regards
taveren
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC is a farce most times. I'm going to guess that the problem is with the client, and the underlaying protocol. The fact that two "passive" clients can't connect to each other in DC is an indication of a poorly thought out P2P infrastructure. I remember back in the day when you couldn't stop P2P apps from transferring files.

Try setting your client up in Active mode, and forward ports through your firewall if need be.
aanund
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a copy of the errors msgs I get:

Quote:

Mon 03 Mar 2003 06:19:13 PM CET: bad param
$SR [berg]helenehare DC\Leif Rogers 3/3Snabbhubben Jr (129.241.87.230)

*notice* the  is actually a different sign, like this:

http://www.stud.ntnu.no/~aanund/Screenshot-1.png

Tried both passive and active mode, nothing seemed to help. I am quite sure It has something todo with my locale settings, but I cannot figure out just what.

As for the "dc is a farse" statement, that the client is the problem, quite possibly, but I doubt it has anything todo with the protocol itself.
After all, dc works beautifully on my windows box, but then again, most things work when I install them there:-P I have tried getting dc++ to run under wine, no luck, vmware install, but net did not work, and im now trying to get dc++ to compile under linux:=)
xenon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taveren wrote:
The fact that two "passive" clients can't connect to each other in DC is an indication of a poorly thought out P2P infrastructure. .

Since passive basically means "I can't accept incoming connections", how do you think the two passive peers could connect to each other? Passing all the data through a common server? Now *that* would be a poorly thought infrastructure.
darookee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aanund wrote:

[...] and im now trying to get dc++ to compile under linux:=)

could you post here, if you got it to compile and tell everyone how you did it? i also tried dc++ under wine but had no luck :'(
aanund
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

noooooo, if I get it to work I will be the only one to use it!!! ;-)

as I said, I am trying, I am however, not making much progress as of yet:-(

dc++ under wine, well, supposedly it works if you use a REAL win98 install instead of the fake files from wine, however I cannot verify this. I have just read it in a lot of forums.

Aanund
darookee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

humm... :-P

I tried some apps with a REAL win2k installed and '--winver win2k' with winex... but it seem that the results are the same... : /
I think I only got one app really working under wine... it was 'ms solitaire'... why wine has to be so... uuhm... complex? 0_o
xenon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not always so complex. eMule, for example, works decently right out of the box: emerge Wine, unzip emule, wine emule and there you go. But now there's lmule! :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: