View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mascanho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im on acid right now :P , ill tell you guys later how it was hehehhe , been using ck for some time just wanna see if theres some improvements with these ones :wink:
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

BUT,there are 2 problem now.

One is in spca5xx
Code:
In file included from /var/tmp/portage/spca5xx-20050903/work/spca5xx-20050903/drivers/usb/spcadecoder.h:5,
                 from /var/tmp/portage/spca5xx-20050903/work/spca5xx-20050903/drivers/usb/spcadecoder.c:35:
/var/tmp/portage/spca5xx-20050903/work/spca5xx-20050903/drivers/usb/spca5xx.h:23:5: warning: "LINUX_VERSION_CODE" is not defined
/var/tmp/portage/spca5xx-20050903/work/spca5xx-20050903/drivers/usb/spca5xx.h:23:26: warning: "KERNEL_VERSION" is not defined
/var/tmp/portage/spca5xx-20050903/work/spca5xx-20050903/drivers/usb/spca5xx.h:23:40: missing binary operator before token "("
/var/tmp/portage/spca5xx-20050903/work/spca5xx-20050903/drivers/usb/spca5xx.h:44:5: warning: "LINUX_VERSION_CODE" is not defined
/var/tmp/portage/spca5xx-20050903/work/spca5xx-20050903/drivers/usb/spca5xx.h:44:26: warning: "KERNEL_VERSION" is not defined
/var/tmp/portage/spca5xx-20050903/work/spca5xx-20050903/drivers/usb/spca5xx.h:44:40: missing binary operator before token "("
/var/tmp/portage/spca5xx-20050903/work/spca5xx-20050903/drivers/usb/spca5xx.h:51:27: linux/tqueue.h: No such file or directory
/var/tmp/portage/spca5xx-20050903/work/spca5xx-20050903/drivers/usb/spca5xx.h:54:5: warning: "LINUX_VERSION_CODE" is not defined
/var/tmp/portage/spca5xx-20050903/work/spca5xx-20050903/drivers/usb/spca5xx.h:54:27: warning: "KERNEL_VERSION" is not defined
/var/tmp/portage/spca5xx-20050903/work/spca5xx-20050903/drivers/usb/spca5xx.h:54:41: missing binary operator before token "("
In file included from /var/tmp/portage/spca5xx-20050903/work/spca5xx-20050903/drivers/usb/spcadecoder.h:5,
                 from /var/tmp/portage/spca5xx-20050903/work/spca5xx-20050903/drivers/usb/spcadecoder.c:35:
/var/tmp/portage/spca5xx-20050903/work/spca5xx-20050903/drivers/usb/spca5xx.h:456: error: field `task' has incomplete type
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/spca5xx-20050903/work/spca5xx-20050903/drivers/usb/spcadecoder.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[1]: *** [_module_/var/tmp/portage/spca5xx-20050903/work/spca5xx-20050903] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.14-acid1'
make: *** [default] Error 2

!!! ERROR: media-video/spca5xx-20050903 failed.
!!! Function linux-mod_src_compile, Line 505, Exitcode 2
!!! Unable to make                                  KERNELDIR=/usr/src/linux default.
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

having a configured kernel in /usr/src/linux might help ;) (and ofcourse linked to the right sources -> the currently running one)

EDIT: oops, doesn't compile....
fo next release i'll cut down some of the suspicious patches.....
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New release coming up soon...
many under-the-hood changes, ie. cutting down all -mm patches, so stay tuned....
mascanho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Tiger683 Are you the mainainer of acid-sources , if yes what do you think of them when compared to ck-sources or archck-sources ??

im running acid right now, and till the moment seems ok, and a bit faster then ck-sources , i just havent tryied archck-sources yet.

what do you think, are there any kind of benchmarks ???
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mascanho wrote:
@ Tiger683 Are you the mainainer of acid-sources , if yes what do you think of them when compared to ck-sources or archck-sources ??

im running acid right now, and till the moment seems ok, and a bit faster then ck-sources , i just havent tryied archck-sources yet.

what do you think, are there any kind of benchmarks ???

I am the maintainer of acid, yes, and am helping out with nitro from time to time.. (a little less recently.)
The reason why i made acid is that i realized a performance penalty on _my_ machines when running ck based kernels
compared to O(1) base mainline kernel.

Anyone can feel free to compare benchmark reuslts, for me it isn't very high on my todo list....

Just in case anyone comes up with a statement ck would be better: good for you, be happy with it.. ;)
mascanho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, ill make my owns then , ill report any further developments 8)
Phlogiston
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah with this kernel my usb storage works 5 times faster, as it should ;) Thanks for the patchset!
1U
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed a nice improvement in the speed of my laptop, and I'll have to try it on my other computers too, thanks Tiger.

However, I'm a bit curious where the whole acid / biohazard sign thing came from. Nitro sources didn't sound too professional but it was quite nice and had a good boot logo. I know performance matters more, but perhaps the whole biohazard / acid thing will create a negative image in some people's heads that will assume it's something amateur/childish? I don't mean to sound offensive, just wanted to share my opinion.

For now, I'll have to go without a boot logo.

Great kernel though, my laptop seems to be less laggy with everything now. Glad you picked up after becks. Also, I'm happy that you didn't alter the menu colors, the last nitro release had menu colors modification which was hard to read on some screens/color schemes and had no purpose (I'm not the only who complained). And thanks for including the shfs module, I'll definitely have to try it out. :)

Edit:
I don't mean to go offtopic, but how does one check which version their reiser4 partition is? The only similar thing I could find was fsck.reiser4 -V which just shows the actual fsck version I have, but how would I go about finding out if my drive is current with the newest reiser4 or not?
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx :)

compile-testing acid2 now....

libata-dev today's git pull and alsa cvs-pull will be in as well as lirc and a few internal changes/updates of drivers....

;)

T
mascanho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

new version on the way ???
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mascanho wrote:
new version on the way ???

Hmm, not quite...
For the first time since a long i have totally broken a kernel....SHIT!!!!

:lol:

8O
1U
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also noticed this with seppe, any time I try to give any feedback only for the sake of having the kernel improved, it gets ignored while other junk does not.

I've even asked another person who uses nitro-sources on what he thinks about the new name/logo and I'll quote what he said "What is he... 12?"

Why not go one step further and replace the biohazard triangle with a pink one while you're at it? Performance is great, but perhaps you should leave graphics/name to b3ks (I'm assuming he made the original ntiro ones).
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1U wrote:
I've also noticed this with seppe, any time I try to give any feedback only for the sake of having the kernel improved, it gets ignored while other junk does not.

I've even asked another person who uses nitro-sources on what he thinks about the new name/logo and I'll quote what he said "What is he... 12?"

Why not go one step further and replace the biohazard triangle with a pink one while you're at it? Performance is great, but perhaps you should leave graphics/name to b3ks (I'm assuming he made the original ntiro ones).

Ok, ok, no panic... ;)

I assume you don't like the logo...
As i mentioned in the first release, anyone having better skills/ideas should
give it a shot. The name of patchset is not a point of discussion though.
The only problem is that b3cks doesn't use this patchset AFAIK so he
probably will not make any fb-logo either.

I'll try my best for coming release...

PS: your feedback was not ignored, i just reduced the reply to a THX aka. thank you.

cheers

T

PS2: seppe is pretty absent anyways ;)
1U
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for being a bit too bold in my previous post, I dint' know who your previous reply was to. And I've made long replies in the nitro thread before without a single notice so I was a bit pissed off. Acid by itself is not bad, but just doesn't mix with biohazard. I could give the logo a shot since I also enjoy doing graphics, just explain your ideas on what the logo or the theme should be and I'll try my best to help.
Tiger683
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New release in a few minutes ;)

@1U:
New logo in it, take a look... The theme is about the patchset being hot ;)
mascanho
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why is the topic chnaged to Deprecated ???
seppe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1U wrote:
I've also noticed this with seppe, any time I try to give any feedback only for the sake of having the kernel improved, it gets ignored while other junk does not
Not really, it's not because I don't always reply on every comment that I ignore it. If more than 50% of the users says that feature X should be altered to Y, then feature X *will* be altered to Y. I try to respond more to problems people have than feature changes/requests, although these lasts won't be ignored! If I don't answer to a problem then it means that I don't have any clue. I'm not a kernel expert, although I learned a lot from merging these kernel patches and fixing the problems that occur with this merging. :)

Tiger683 wrote:
PS2: seppe is pretty absent anyways ;)

Yes and no, I read this forum almost everyday but I haven't got much time to create nitro patchsets lately because that takes much more time than just browing through the 'unsupported software' topics :). I'm busy at work with getting Java certifications and stuff now, but maybe I'll try to make a new nitro sooner or later. You (Tiger683) may always make a new nitro if you want (which is not an obligation of course!), you'll always get my bless because you're doing a great job (and acid-sources looks cool as well ;))

Greetings to the whole Gentoo and kernel community

Latest release I made: 2.6.13.2-nitro1
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: