View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shredluc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: X misbehaving Reply with quote

Strange stuff. I did a couple of updates on my laptop yesterday, ended up powering down and didn't turn it on till this morning. When i did try to start Gnome with startx it seems to load, i even get a mouse cursor but after half a second it drops back out to the command line. There are no errors. I checked the logs too and there no error in there either. The only thing i can think of is that a package changed something and i missed it. Here are some packages that stand out in my mind:

sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.0_pre8-r2 -----> sys-apps/baselayout-1.12.0_pre9-r1
x11-libs/cairo-0.1.23-r1 -----> x11-libs/cairo-1.0.2
dev-libs/glib-2.6.5 -----> dev-libs/glib-2.8.2
x11-libs/gtk+-2.6.8 -----> x11-libs/gtk+-2.8.6
gnome-base/gconf-2.10.1-r1 -----> gnome-base/gconf-2.12.0

There were others, but they were applications. I'm figuring that maybe the gconf package upgrading to 2.12 is creating problems since the rest of gnome is 2.10

Any suggestions that can help me get my desktop back will be truly appreciated.

Thanks Guys.
}else{
return 0;
}
Religion is a crutch, but that's okay... humanity is a cripple.
Telemin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Can you start a basic x-server session? Reply with quote

Can you start a basic x-server session? With the xdm login screen etc... Change your /etc/rc.conf to use xdm and xsession. If the server starts properly then I would imagine you're right in your hunch about the gnome packages.

If so then either umerge the new gconf package or update the rest of gnome to match. I'm not sure how to go about downgrading packages. But its a lot faster than recompiling a new gnome version ^_^.
ttye0
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. This is what I've noticed: If I run startx it loads and shows a cursor and then exits without error before loading my enlightenment (16) session. If I run kdm or gdm it works fine. I think xdm will run no problem...I still have to check. startx not working is kinda annoying because I'm so used to using that over xinit,X,kdm,gdm,xdm, etc. Did downgrading/complete-upgrade work for you? It's so difficult for me to get things to build half the time so I wanted to be sure. My ebuilds bork/break/exit when I try and compile them half the time. ;p
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: