Env-update and input/output error
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agodoy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Env-update and input/output error Reply with quote

Hey everybody,

Followed the manual EXACTLY, and used the default install options (as per the manual) and reached step 6 (Chrooting into the base system). Anyway, I made it to the command "env-update" where I received the following message:

hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect = 20101652, sector=20101652
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 20101652

!!!Failed to complete python imports. There are internal modules for python and failure here indicates that you have a problem with python itself and thus portage is no able to continue processing.

!!! You might consider starting python with verbose flags to see what has gone wrong. Here is the information we got fro this exception:

/usr/lib/python2.3/lib-dynload/cPickle.so: cannot read file data: Input/output error

Sorry to bother you if this is a mere noob error, and thanks for your help in advance.

Alexander
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better check your harddisk for bad sectors. Or if hda happens to be your cdrom, check the cd.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Dikkiedik
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check if you harddisk supports 32 bit support.. I had the same with an old computer. Use hdparm -d0m0 /dev/hda to make sure ít's not the dma modes fault. And what nixnut said, check ur harddrive for errors + make sure it's not ur cd drive.
agodoy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you recommend me a program (preferably free) that I could use to repair bad sectors?

I tried using Ultimate Boot CD and my drive (a Hitachi) didn't really work well with the diagnostic program. I was able to run a diagnostic through another program that found a whole lot of bad sectors, so this is probably the source of the problem.

Thanks for your help! 8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: