Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zietbukuel
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psycho Dad wrote:
Do you have this flickering with glxgears too if you have a radeon?

What do you mean?, i dont have any problems and it runs far better than the previous version :D
Psycho Dad
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I see you use the drivers from ATI, I use the ones that come with X.org.
Iluminatus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any flickering and i'm using the radeon driver, what aceleration are you using, EXA, XAA?

Put the device part of Xorg here Please...
npc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, i'm having a real trouble with the i810 driver for my i915-based intel igp card. I've also noticed the same problems all over the web when it comes to i810-like cards, i810 driver opensource and xorg 6.9*. Does anybody know if there is a known bug about running fps games in resolutions such as 800x600 and 640x480 (built-in setting and default being 1024x768)? I'm on a Dell Latitude D510 and i've tried absolutely everything to make those this feature work, no luck yet. The farest i've got from running Enemy Territoy on 800x600 is Xorg recognizing that it is possible (the log says there is a built-in 800x600 and 640x480 resolution and i can run fluxbox on both resolutions) and a blank/black screen with background music and sfx... Right now if i dont setup any hsync and vrefresh on xorg.conf i can get ET to run in a small part of the screen with black borders surrounding it.
If somebody could gimme a light here, a path to follow or anything, i'd mostly heartly apreciate it.

BTW, tv-out won't work either, which is sad when it comes to playing videogames on my mom's 29" flat-screen tv. :'(

Is it possible to try out intel's proprietary drivers? Is it worth it?

Thanks.
Psycho Dad
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This flickering is with XAA with this settings in xorg.conf:

Code:

Section "Device"
  BoardName    "RS100 4336"
  BusID        "1:5:0"
  Driver       "radeon"
  Identifier   "Device[0]"
  Option       "AGPFastWrite"
  Option       "EnablePageFlip"
  Option       "AGPMode" "4"
  Option       "BIOSHotkeys" "true"
  Option       "DPMS"
  Screen       0
  Option       "Rotate" "off"
  VendorName   "ATI"
EndSection

The flickering with glxgears disappears with each one of the following settings:

1. disabling dri
2. choosing EXA instead of XAA
3. disabling Page Flipping

All this "solutions" lower the performance

Disabling Color Tiling or Hyperz-Support brings nothing. The option "UseFBdev" "on" has no effect on this too.
With EXA there is a special problem with cedega and Civilzation III, the mouse pointer disappears then.
Other 3D apps have no problems with EXA apart from lower performance than with XAA.
souln0thing
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

error was with the radeon driver bug, and the patch fixed it.

Last edited by souln0thing on Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Psycho Dad
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just have a closer look on page 11 of this thread, you will see exactly the same issue described and a solution for that....
Iluminatus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solution to compile problem:

Quote:

Just edit the patch 8020 bens memory patch, search for radeon_cursor.c, and edit the comment //#define.....
to /*#define....*/

Save patch. Update tarball, delete digest, ebuild digest with new patch, emerge...

About flickering, i have Page Flipping, and AGPFastWrite disabled, because it causes all sort of problems, some were more serius that you had. You probably will need to disable Page fliping.

There are some entries in the modular changelog for exa fixes although i don't know if they could resolve your issue, the perfomance shouldn't improve....

http://cvs.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-ati/ChangeLog?

Can't help you more....
Psycho Dad
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3D Performance with this Radeon IGP 320M under linux is not good in any case, so I am glad about every option that brings performance. Even with Page Flipping it is slower than a Nvidia TNT2. But enabling Hyperz-support with latest dri-drivers for the kernel modules gives around 50% more performance, but first I detected this 2 weeks ago.
With Page Flipping fps is over 30% higher than without, so I dont want to disable it, it introduced no problems all the time I had 3D running with this laptop (around 2,5 years).
The glxgears issue is not so important for me, as all other things seem to run fine. So I will leave it like that.
But if I can test something just ask.
jarealist
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nxsty,

Any chance you can make available the ebuild version that uses the 0.3 patchset on your download site? I didn't have any problems with it . The latest one fails like so:

i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -O2 -march=pentium-m -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -ansi -Wno-return-type -w -fPIC -I. -I../i2c -I../../../../../../programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/common -I../../../../../../programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support -I../../../../../../programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86 -I../../../../../../programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/vbe -I../../../../../../programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/int10 -I../../../../../../programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/ddc -I../../../../../../programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/i2c -I../../../../../../programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/rac -I../../../../../../programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/ramdac -I../../../../../../programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/shadowfb -I../../../../../../programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/xaa -I../../../../../../programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/exa -I../../../../../../programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/xf4bpp -I../../../../../../programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/xf1bpp -I../../../../../../programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/vgahw -I../../../../../../programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/fbdevhw -I../../../../../../programs/Xserver/mfb -I../../../../../../programs/Xserver/fb -I../../../../../../programs/Xserver/mi -I../../../../../../programs/Xserver/miext/shadow -I../../../../../../programs/Xserver/render -I../../../../../../programs/Xserver/Xext -I../../../../../../programs/Xserver/include -I../../../../../../programs/Xserver/GL/dri -I../../../../../../lib/GL/dri -I../../../../../../include -I../../../../../../extras/drm/shared-core -I../../../../../../include/fonts -I../../../../../../include/extensions -I../../../../../../exports/include/X11 -I../../../../../.. -I../../../../../../exports/include -Dlinux -D__i386__ -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=199309L -D_POSIX_SOURCE -D_XOPEN_SOURCE -D_BSD_SOURCE -D_SVID_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_GNU_SOURCE -DSHAPE -DXINPUT -DXKB -DLBX -DXAPPGROUP -DXCSECURITY -DTOGCUP -DXF86BIGFONT -DDPMSExtension -DPANORAMIX -DRENDER -DRANDR -DXFIXES -DDAMAGE -DCOMPOSITE -DXEVIE -DGCCUSESGAS -DAVOID_GLYPHBLT -DPIXPRIV -DSINGLEDEPTH -DXFreeXDGA -DXvExtension -DXFree86LOADER -DDLOPEN_HACK -DXFree86Server -DXF86VIDMODE -DXvMCExtension -DSMART_SCHEDULE -DXResExtension -DX_BYTE_ORDER=X_LITTLE_ENDIAN -DXORG_VERSION_CURRENT="(((6) * 10000000) + ((9) * 100000) + ((0) * 1000) + 0)" -DNDEBUG -DFUNCPROTO=15 -DNARROWPROTO -DIN_MODULE -DXFree86Module -DGLXEXT -DXF86DRI -DGLX_DIRECT_RENDERING -DGLX_USE_DLOPEN -DGLX_USE_MESA -DTV_OUT -DWITH_VGAHW -DUSE_EXA -DUSE_XAA -c radeon_cursor.c
radeon_cursor.c:35: error: syntax error before ‘/’ token
radeon_cursor.c:35: error: stray ‘#’ in program
make[7]: *** [radeon_cursor.o] Error 1
make[7]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/xorg-x11-6.9.0-r1/work/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/ati'

My emerge info: Portage 2.1_pre4-r1 (default-linux/x86/2006.0, gcc-4.0.2, glibc-2.3.6-r3, 2.6.15-gentoo-r5 i686)
Varuna
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jarealist wrote:
Code:
radeon_cursor.c:35: error: syntax error before / token
radeon_cursor.c:35: error: stray # in program
make[7]: *** [radeon_cursor.o] Error 1
make[7]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/xorg-x11-6.9.0-r1/work/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/ati'
That's the page 11 comment bug. Its fix's inclusion in the patchset would be nice, but it's easy enough to fix either way.
nxsty
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a patch to fix the build problems. Sorry for taking so long.
Treborius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

compiled and is running fine here
amd64, gcc 4.1

thanks
roderick
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, So I just upgraded to 6.9.0-R1.

Then I did a emerge -avuD world and it tried to downgrade to 6.8.2-R6. I found by doing a "emerge -avuD world --tree" that this was caused by KDE's kicker 3.5.1-R1.

I had a look at it's ebuild and I think this is the relevant section:

Code:

RDEPEND="
$(deprange $PV $MAXKDEVER kde-base/libkonq)
$(deprange $PV $MAXKDEVER kde-base/kdebase-data)
    xcomposite? ( || ( (
            x11-libs/libXcomposite
            ) <=x11-base/xorg-x11-6.9 )
        )"

DEPEND="${RDEPEND}
    xcomposite? ( || ( (
            x11-proto/compositeproto
            ) <=x11-base/xorg-x11-6.9 )
        )"

Just not sure where to go from here.

I did have Xorg 6.9.0 from a previous overlay working. It seems that the addition of the -R1 did something...

Any ideas?
mrcs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nxtsy,

If I were to try and port the compose cache patch to modular xorg, the only file from your patch set to consider is 8030_all_xorg-x11-6.9-compose-cache.patch , no?
nxsty
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roderick wrote:
Ok, So I just upgraded to 6.9.0-R1.

Then I did a emerge -avuD world and it tried to downgrade to 6.8.2-R6. I found by doing a "emerge -avuD world --tree" that this was caused by KDE's kicker 3.5.1-R1.

Just remove the xorg-x11 depend. It shouldn't matter. Or remove the -r1 from the xorg-x11 ebuild and remerge it.
nxsty
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kireru wrote:
nxtsy,

If I were to try and port the compose cache patch to modular xorg, the only file from your patch set to consider is 8030_all_xorg-x11-6.9-compose-cache.patch , no?

Yes that's the one. Just syncing the patch to modular X is easy but hooking it up in the autotool build system is a different story. :) You'll also have to break out the mkcomposecache program but that's just a single .c file.
mrcs
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nxsty wrote:
Yes that's the one. Just syncing the patch to modular X is easy but hooking it up in the autotool build system is a different story. :) You'll also have to break out the mkcomposecache program but that's just a single .c file.

Hmm. I don't know if I like that story. But what the hey, I'll guess I'll read up on it a bit and make it a project for those days I got nothing better to do (i.e. after the olympics :))

But is the speed boost really that significant? After switching to modular I really can't tell the difference, and it doesn't even *feel* like there's a difference. Or maybe I'm just expecting too much.
AaronPPC
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think compose-cache helps. I have an Raedon 9000 card and use the OS driver and I noticed that Xorg-7 is a bit slower than Xorg-6.9.
Iluminatus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to ben, his patch break page flipping. A fix is in the cvs, but it appears that other problems appear when dragging the window, let's wait and see...
Psycho Dad
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The glxgears-issue with Page Flipping enabled is fixed using the latest Radeon snapshot from http://dri.freedesktop.org/snapshots for compiling the kernel modules drm.ko and radeon.ko
Iluminatus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nxsty, i have here 10 patches, that update the monolitic tree, to the cvs code (modular). My pacthes don't have AIGLX, XGL, KLIBC or EXA updates. So basically, is just bugs fixes.
Corrects Mouse emulation issue, new evdev driver, latest radeon patchset, GLProto patch (makes mesa cvs compile without any tricks), Xlib fixes, FB fixes, removed the libc wrapper (patch done by anholt), and others things. I now have more 20fps in enemy territory (r300)...
Do you want them?

They are in http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0448311801/xorg/xorg-cvs.tar.bz2

I sort of introduced a hack so that it compiles in my pc, if that gives any troubles to the rest, please report....

P.S: This latest radeon snapshot shouldn't give any toubles in XAA, with or without page flipping, reworked the manner how memory is detected and alligned, an improvement....
Erlend
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: XGL in Xorg 6.9 Reply with quote

Hmm, is it possible to make an Xgl-enabled 6.9 ebuild?? I'd love to try XGL in the Modular, but I'm scared of messing up my system! I'm not too keen on using an unstable portage.

Erlend
Iluminatus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would take a lot of work, sry.

I just make this a bugfix update, because i only intent to move to modular in august, or near by...

If you want to test XGl, or AIGLX you'll realy need to go to Modular.
Erlend
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just make this a bugfix update, because i only intent to move to modular in august, or near by...

If you want to test XGl, or AIGLX you'll realy need to go to Modular.

I think once portage 2.1 goes stable on x86 I might try modular xorg...

They say xorg-server will be unmasked once all the ebuilds depending on it are fixed. How long do you think this will take (I mean for it to be ~x86)? 1 month, 2 months... 6 months?

Thanks,

Erlend
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: