Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
E17 is coming?? (Part 3)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gentoo_dude
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Couldn't attach to DCOP server

That is a KDE error not enlightenment.
Ariem
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys,
after a quite busy time and some well deserved holidays, I'm back!
And so I noticed that I got way behind... let's say that I'm still running a pre-shelf e17 version!! :oops:
Yeah, I know, shame on me..
But it's time to update it, and so here comes my question(s):
- since all as changed, what script are you using now to update your system?

I looked around and found RuiP's script (update_e17) and morlenxus (easy_e17) script. The main difference is that the former uses portage and the latter don't. Also, somehow I had the idea that RuiP mentioned to use the latter script because he could install different vesions of E.. sorry if this is incorrect, it's just some idea I have from posts I read long time ago... any clear thoughts about this?

I always used a script based on portage, so I'd say my best choice is to use RuiP's script, right? To be sure, the version I have is the 0.2.1, that's the latest, right?

Also, since new packages have been added to E, what's the "current" list of packages to install?

Hope you be patient with me... :P and let's get enlightened!!
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariem wrote:
Also, since new packages have been added to E, what's the "current" list of packages to install?
If you want to see the list of packages in e, just go to this link and browse away ;)
Ariem
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
Ariem wrote:
If you want to see the list of packages in e, just go to this link and browse away ;)

Woow.. someone has been working out there :P
Thanks for the info!

But, how to know what each one is for?
The ones I used to use, I know what are they for, but the new ones... and as commented long ago, not all the packages have a name related to its purpose :)
So, is this a question of trying them out or is there a way to know what each one does?
RuiP
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ariem,
the question about update_e17.sh or easy_e17.sh is a question of how do you want e17 on your system, since the scripts do different things.
They both have advantages and down sides.

update_e17 use emerge and e17 ebuilds will build enlightenment mixed with your system (this is not good, imho). You can only build e17 parts that have an ebuild and to the others you have to do it manually (no great problem here, since all important things have ebuilds). The good things you already know about, since you use it.

easy_e17 will build all enlightenment in /opt/e17. So make it more easy to remove, keep an eye on libs, backup and, yes, use several different versions side by side (with different names, linking to the one desired, naming the symlink /opt/e17) :)

That's why i don't recommend my own script anymore, but morlenxus one :lol:

The down side. easy_e17 is a little brut. It will go through the cvs tree and download everything, everytime you update it will rebuild all even if don't have updates, besides one or two small bugs that make it output duplicate info and wont output other...

I have made a changed version, with some add-ons (i can't see a script that i would not touch ;), don't have much free time latelly... but i intend to add ppurka's nice control of updates and better cvs checks, only download what is wanted, etc).
You can check it here. Is stable. The original from morlenxus is here.

If you decided for easy_e17 (original or altered) just delete first all emerge old e17 (use my script to make a backup to prevent bad things), make a file ~/ .easy_e17.conf with the packages you don't want or are broken like:
Quote:
--skip=embrace,emotion,eclair,entrance,scrot,evfs,entropy,ephoto,empower,eveil,evolume,flame,language,mbar,moon,mount,rain,snow,uptime,wlan,taskbar

and do sh easy_e17.sh -i

If it compile all right, add the link:
Code:
ln -s /opt/e17/bin/enlightenment /usr/bin/enlightenment-0.17

thats all. :)

Options and flags can be checked with easy_e17.sh -h, and my version have a new flag --date that allow dates. If the day you compile something is broken, use a e17 from better day, like:
sh easy_e17.sh -i --date=2006/07/12

have fun.

Just an extra note: If you decide with update_e17, check an ebuild for e_modules from ppurka on one of the previous page that offer a much control over modules.

Last edited by RuiP on Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ariem
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olá Rui,

thanks for your detailed explanation.
Before you (and ppurka) replied, I found one post that you mention the easy_e17 script and why you use it.
Thus, I already started it. It's right now checking out the cvs. hmm.. wait.. well.. it was downloading but somehow is stuck in
Code:
U e17/proto/gfx_routines/op_mul/op_mul_pixel_mask_i386.c

Looks like I need to restart it...

Well, getting back to what I was saying, yes I also enjoyed those features from the other script. Much better to download what is only necessary and not to rebuild all the system when only a couple packages were altered. So, that's a pretty good idea to "enhance" this script. Keep us up to date with the changes you'll make :) I'll try to keep an eye on your website.

Regarding the setup of the script, when you mention to use a conf file to skip broken packages, i noticed entrance and eclair in there. Are these apps broken? Entrance is my X login application, but it's true I couldn't change its setup last time I tried.. some evas error. I thought it would be fixed with this update... OR, the reason to be in your "skip" list is because you just don't use it?

Once again, thanks for your reply!

EDIT: Rui, the link you provided gets nowhere!
boneyfrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariem wrote:

you could allway get it from morlenxus's site at http://omicron.homeip.net/projects/
Ariem
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boneyfrog wrote:
Ariem wrote:

you could allway get it from morlenxus's site at http://omicron.homeip.net/projects/

You would be right if it is the same version... but I got the impression that RuiP has already "touched" in that script with the intention to add some new features.. sorry if I got it wrong.. even cuz I'm running the script from morlenxus's site at the moment... The "improved" version would be nice for further updates. Since I'm running it for the first time, a full e17 build is waiting for me... :P
RuiP
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olá Ariem,
glad you answer me because while i typing i failed to see that you and ppurka post (here is hot, my brain melted down).
I was looking for something like the link ppurka refers, but with no luck. Tanks ppurka! My links are corrected too, sorry.

About my censored entrys, i indeed used mine as an example. The reason for those scpecifics, some i don't use, others are or was broken recently. engage today compiled but it was a 1st time on a long period. entrance is ok i think. Only trial can decide. Most of the time it depends on the day :( (since, shelf stabilized, things have changed fast and sometimes with some broken here and then)

Edit: You are being fast :) thanks boneyfrog for the link. I should have add that too on my post, is now there.
Ariem, my "improved version" quite now only add a report with dates of updates (make easy to keep), add --date flag and ask confirmation for the actions to do. An -u|--update flag will only be possible next week when i finally got hollydays and a little time to work on it.
have fun
Ariem
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so were 2 versions of the same script after all.. :D

Well, while the script is running I noticed it checked out Engage (and others) when I removed it from the list of packages.
Does the script download ALL the cvs, or just what is specified in the variables e17_apps, e17_libs and so on?
Is because it downloads ALL cvs that one has to use the .easy_e17.conf file to skip unwanted packages?

Sounds a bit silly...
RuiP
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariem wrote:
OK, so were 2 versions of the same script after all.. :D

Well, while the script is running I noticed it checked out Engage (and others) when I removed it from the list of packages.
Does the script download ALL the cvs, or just what is specified in the variables e17_apps, e17_libs and so on?
Is because it downloads ALL cvs that one has to use the .easy_e17.conf file to skip unwanted packages?

Yes thats true...
Quote:
Sounds a bit silly...

now you understand why i decided to improve it a little ;)
(In all is excellent, the results too. Just the method is a little brute)
Ariem
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here come the first problems :)

Whem compiling Etk_server (for what is this necessary?)
Code:
- etk ........................ previous installed
- etk_server ................. ERROR! 

<snip>

checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate
checking for etk-config... /usr/bin/etk-config
checking for etk - version >= 0.1.0.001... yes
configure: error: Can't find Etk sources, can't build.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, Etk was just compiled before, so how come it can't find Etk sources???
Both Etk and Etk_server were previously checked out from CVS server..

What's the trick?
RuiP
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhm weird, i update a few hours ago and all went nice, that included.

I remember that when that thing appear (or when i noted) on morlenxus script list i have keep it as one to skip and e works, so that should be a fundamental one.

Anyway that kind of error, not found a lib or part of e previous compiled, usually means that there is a lost file somewhere in the meedle of the system (and in the $PATH). Do a search for etk (and/or etk.so) and check for files not in /opt/e17.

Btw, i forget something that is important. Since your new e will live on /opt you should add /opt/e17 to your path.
(would that be the cause of the problem?)

Sometimes delete /tmp/easy_e17 works nicely to solve misterious errors. lol (old compiles...)

Good luck.
astnbomb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: easy_e17.sh fails Reply with quote

My easy_17.sh is failing on almost every modules and they are are showing the same error message. I've been skipping the ones that fail by using the --skip= argument but its becoming a huge list of modules because they all keep failing.

I'm hoping someone knows why im getting this error message and how I would go about fixing this problem.

This is the error message im seeing when the script gets to the modules:

Code:
e_mod_main.c: In function `e_modapi_about':
e_mod_main.c:177: warning: passing arg 1 of `e_module_dialog_show' from incompatible pointer type
e_mod_main.c:177: error: too many arguments to function `e_module_dialog_show'
e_mod_main.c: In function `_mbar_exe_cb_exit':
e_mod_main.c:2012: error: too many arguments to function `e_module_dialog_show'
e_mod_main.c:2017: error: too many arguments to function `e_module_dialog_show'
e_mod_main.c:2033: error: too many arguments to function `e_module_dialog_show'
make[2]: *** [e_mod_main.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/e17_cvs/e_modules/mbar'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/e17_cvs/e_modules/mbar'
make: *** [all] Error 2

any help would be great! thanks guys!
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ariem wrote:
Regarding the setup of the script, when you mention to use a conf file to skip broken packages, i noticed entrance and eclair in there. Are these apps broken? Entrance is my X login application, but it's true I couldn't change its setup last time I tried.. some evas error. I thought it would be fixed with this update... OR, the reason to be in your "skip" list is because you just don't use it?
Well, I don't know why entrance is blacklisted in that script. I have been using entrance for months. The last time I built entrance was on June 28.

Btw, if you want, I can provide a modified darkrock theme which also provides the reboot button.
Ariem
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.. I haven't reached the bottom of the problem, but I noticed that this file causing most of the problems (most of my modules are also not compiling), e_mod_main.c, is located in /usr/include/enlightenment/.
As I understood RuiP, this script installs all enlightenment inside /opt/e17/. Thus, that file should be from a previous install, and most likely a previous version. In my case, should be pre-shelf by using emerge to install it.

If I'm right in these assumptions, then the solution should be un-emerge all previous e17.
I was waiting to have a working version in /opt/e17/ before doing that.. but.. maybe I need to do it before.

Anyone with other ideas?
What I'm saying makes any sense... ?
Can someone that uses this script check if he has this file in the folder I mentioned to be sure it belongs to an emerged version? thanks
Ariem
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuiP wrote:
Btw, i forget something that is important. Since your new e will live on /opt you should add /opt/e17 to your path.
(would that be the cause of the problem?)

You mean to $PATH ??
In PATH should be binary files.. so you mean /opt/e17/bin, is that?
But.. does that change anything when comes to find the source of etk??

weird.. 8)
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Ariem It will definitely help if you unmerge the previous version of e17. Apparently, looking at the error you were getting regarding etk-server, your etk-config lies in /usr/bin whereas you are using a script which installs everything in /opt/e17. That does seem contradictory doesn't it?

Alternative to trying to backup everything, you can try putting the binary PATH of /opt/e17 (I don't use this method, so just find out which is the bin directory in /opt/e17) before your $PATH variable. For eg. if the binary path is /opt/e17/bin, then you can set your $PATH to be
Code:
export PATH="/opt/e17/bin:$PATH"
This way, the binaries from the new install will be used, when the configure file checks for available versions of packages. In fact, you should go through the configure logs to find out which command were being used to check for available e17 packages. If the commands in /usr/bin were being used, then your install probably will not work and there might be several compilation failures (especially since there has been a lot of api changes recently).

@astnbomb You can try to modify the files autogen.sh, configure.in, Makefile.in in the cvs source of e17/e_modules, and replace the following statement:
Code:
for d in *
with the following
Code:
for d in <modules you want to build, separated by spaces>
This way you can avoid building the problematic modules.
astnbomb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i figured out a solution to my problem...for some reason the compile was still trying to use enlightenment include files from /usr/include/enlightenment instead of /opt/e17/include/enlightenment.

My solution?: Make a backup of /usr/include/enlightenment and create a symbolic link in its place that points to /opt/e17/include/enlightenment.

Problem solved, all modules install perfectly :-)
Lionheart
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I'll try to merge engage cvs Igot this compilation error :
Code:
/usr/bin/edje_cc -v module_icon.edc module.eap
/usr/bin/edje_cc: Opening "/tmp/edje_cc.edc-tmp-gAtwKA" for input
/usr/bin/edje_cc: Parsing input file
/usr/bin/edje_cc: Error. <stdin>:7 unexpected character at %d
/usr/bin/edje_cc: Error. <stdin>:7 integer -1213994944 out of range of 0 to 2147483647 inclusive
make[3]: *** [module.eap] Erreur 255
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/engage-9999/work/misc/engage/src/module'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Erreur 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/engage-9999/work/misc/engage/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Erreur 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/engage-9999/work/misc/engage'
make: *** [all] Erreur 2

Even after a emerge esmart ewl examine engage to make sure to have the same snapshot of the cvs for the dependencies.

Is anyone saw where the problem come from ?
bos_mindwarp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, this thread is 40 pages long now, so can someone plz point me to the info on how to emerge e17 nowadays? Something with /etc/portage/... I think =)

Thx.
Lionheart
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guide to Emerge Entrance
Guide to Emerge E17
RuiP
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, just a quick reply (i'm in a hurry)

@Ariem, sorry my mistake, yes of course is /opt/e17/bin. (i must avoid to post at 1am after a bad long day :(...)
About modules. keep in mind that most of them have problems either because they are old and unmanteined (like embrace) or are in a very begining state of they existence.
Try to build first the ones you are using and you really need.

@Ariem and astnbomb,
it's *fundamental* to remove first any previous version that you have (i suggest earlier to Ariem to use my script to make a backup of the existing e for the case of something wrong happens). If you don't delete old e17, the easy_e17 script will try to build e17 on /opt but try to link to libs on /usr/lib and not on /opt/e17/usr/lib, give problems of "not found app" (altough they just been compiled).

ppurka mention entrance been blacklist. That was in my example on how to blacklist. I just copy+past mine and since i don't use it... Please people check the list carefully.
The blacklist on that example are my choices. You have to adapt it to your preferences.

@bos_mindwarp
besides the 2 suggested, read at least this page and the previous one, on comments on those options and other alternatives.

Good luck all.
RuiP
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, sorry to double post.
i made a patch for the new version of easy_e17.sh (1.0.3).
For those interested you can find link and comments on the e17 scripts thread.

hope you find it useful.
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long threads hurt the forums. Please continue to part 4. Thanks.

(Locked...)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40
Page 40 of 40

Jump to: