Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
E17 is coming?? (Part 3)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H-Dragon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: e17 enlightenment remote -module load fails! Reply with quote

i get this
Code:
# enlightenment_remote -module-load weather   
ERROR: Enlightenment_remote cannot set up the IPC socket.
Maybe try the '-display :0.0' option?
trying to activate the module in enlightenment
atrus123
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have your problem with the weather module, but I will say that once I activated it, the thing drained significantly more resources than it should have. It just be my build, but it seems to me that the weather module needs much more work before it will become useful. Has anyone else had a similar problem with this?

J.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: E17 is coming?? (Part 3) Reply with quote

Continued from E17 is coming?? (Part 2).

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
DarkWeaver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I'm the first post in the continuation! Yay.

Erm, yeah. Basically, I've just emerged e17, and ran into a bit of trouble with evidence (which was last in the emerge anyway). I've taken a look around, and I guess that all I can do is wait a while, as it seems that evidence is not on the new anon cvs. Basically, I was wondering if anyone could suggest something similar, ie. which filer do e17 people prefer. Preferably one which looks good with e17, and is fully functional. Yeah, I know my question is kinda ambiguous, but that's me, sorry.

Or, if anyone can provide me with the latest cvs version of evidence, that'd be even greater! I'm getting the 'unrecognised auth response' error from cvs, evidence is still on sourceforge.

Cheers, DarkWeaver.
Telexen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having problems with edje...it looks like it's having trouble downloading the file from the server...anyone else have similar issues? I've been trying for around the last 24 hours
djpharoah
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats the reason im laying of E17 as its still very much buggy and i believe its still beta.

when i tried it..to many things would not work..however what little would work..pure eye candy..
will give it a try when it gets released.
DarkWeaver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djpharoah wrote:
thats the reason im laying of E17 as its still very much buggy and i believe its still beta.

when i tried it..to many things would not work..however what little would work..pure eye candy..
will give it a try when it gets released.

I do see where you're coming from, and I think I agree. For the moment, I'm staying with xfce4. Has always been stable, and looks nice enough to me.
jxn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DarkWeaver:
the new e17 cvs mirror is only for the enlightenment project; evidence maintains a separate sourceforge project page and therefore a separate unmirrored repository. Just use the standard (in portage) evidence-9999 ebuild (masked with -*) to get evidence. it works fairly well for me, and would be my favorite file manager if it was slightly more stable and it rendered huge directories faster (which hopefully will be improved at some point). If you're looking for an alternative filemanager for e17, e is now (with current cvs) is including a very small/light/pretty/feature-deprived file manager in the window manager itself... compile everything brand new and you can access it by clicking on "files" in the root menu on the desktop; pretty neat. There is also a file manager called "entropy" available which uses the EFL, but it has proved the least stable and most awkward for me so far (though, it is the youngest and perhaps most ambitious of all three, I believe). Anyway, those are your options.

@djpharoah: yes, e17 is buggy (not "still in beta" -- it hasn't even hit beta yet!), but it's been pretty stable for me -- running as my default WM on 3 different machines since roughly last march (or whenever raster put the code in cvs)). There are features missing, quite a few bugs to squash, etc -- but all-in-all, it's very, very usable for my purposes and has been for some time. I've only ever had one WM crash so far, which is outstanding considering it's cvs... still, if you're not out to test/help-develop the software, there's probably not too much need for you to worry about the inconsistencies of cvs code.

@Telexen:
Have you tried the *new* cvs repository mirror? the sourceforge server sometimes has problems. It is possible to override the default mirror for the ebuilds... i think there are details on http://www.get-e.org, but I'll have to check. edit: no, it doesn't say anything about that, but all you have to do is type
Code:
ECVS_SERVER="thinktux.net:/root" emerge edje
and you'll be emerging from the new anon cvs mirror! (which, I might add, is just dandy compared to sf.net's cvs response rate)
Telexen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet that worked great...thanks

I'm personally not out to do much testing with e17...I just saw it and thought it looked really good - I figured that if I could get it installed I'd try it out and decide if it was stable enough for me to just play around in...otherwise I can wait.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jxn wrote:
@Telexen:
Have you tried the *new* cvs repository mirror? the sourceforge server sometimes has problems. It is possible to override the default mirror for the ebuilds... i think there are details on http://www.get-e.org, but I'll have to check. edit: no, it doesn't say anything about that, but all you have to do is type
Code:
ECVS_SERVER="thinktux.net:/root" emerge edje
and you'll be emerging from the new anon cvs mirror! (which, I might add, is just dandy compared to sf.net's cvs response rate)
I tried out the new cvs server yesterday, but it totally messed up the time stamps on my cvs files. After running it, all my cvs files had the modified date of 2nd Nov. Fortunately, I make a backup of the cvs source before updating, so I could quickly revert to the older files.

So, I had better stick to sourceforge for now (which has retained the correct timestamps on the files).
krazykit
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've been playing with e17 for a few months now, but I have yet to figure out how to make my media keys do stuff. I have them mapped with xmodmap, but I don't know how to make them run commands. Specifically, I want to make the play button do "mpc play" and so forth. Is there a way to do this?
DarkWeaver
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make my media keys work, I use xbindkeys, works fine for me. Alternatives include hotkeys and lineak. xbindkeys was the easiest to setup and get working imo, and it lets me use modifier keys along with my buttons, to add even more functions!
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krazykit wrote:
Well, I've been playing with e17 for a few months now, but I have yet to figure out how to make my media keys do stuff. I have them mapped with xmodmap, but I don't know how to make them run commands. Specifically, I want to make the play button do "mpc play" and so forth. Is there a way to do this?
Use enlightenment_remote thus:
Code:
enlightenment_remote -binding-key-add ANY "F16" NONE 0 "exec" "volmute mute"
Here "volmute" is a shell script I am using, and F16 is bound to the "Volume -" key on my keyboard (using xmodmap). You can replace the last option by any command you want to execute (for ex. replace "volmute mute" by "mpc play").
dhasenan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And do you know how to make Alt+F4 do "close window"? It's the one thing I most miss from other WMs.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhasenan wrote:
And do you know how to make Alt+F4 do "close window"? It's the one thing I most miss from other WMs.
This is what I use:
Code:
enlightenment_remote -binding-key-add ANY "F4" ALT 0 "window_close" ""
javisaman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How should we install the modules available in the http://www.get-e.org/Resources/Modules/index.html website?

Thanks
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

javisaman wrote:
How should we install the modules available in the http://www.get-e.org/Resources/Modules/index.html website?

Thanks
The obvious method (as root):
Code:
./autogen.sh (or ./configure)
make && make install
Thats when you really miss the nice one liner "emerge <package>" :lol:
Drysh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a small bug in E-17... When I kill a application, the window stays, and I cannot close it. I know the program closed, the window is not draw anymore, but the decorations (borders) are still there, and no matter what, I can't make them go away. It's not fatal, but it's annoying.
Does anyone know what's causing this?
jxn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drysh wrote:
I'm having a small bug in E-17... When I kill a application, the window stays, and I cannot close it. I know the program closed, the window is not draw anymore, but the decorations (borders) are still there, and no matter what, I can't make them go away. It's not fatal, but it's annoying.
Does anyone know what's causing this?

it's a bug... but a workaround is to restart enlightenment from the menu, the killed windows will disappear.
Telexen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm not understanding this...From what I gather, Engage is a somewhat seperate app-launcher/dockbar/sys-tray module that I can load...so I use the command "enlightenment_remote --modules-load engage" ... but it gives me the following error:

Code:

enlightenment_remote --modules-load engage
ERROR: Enlightenment_remote cannot set up the IPC socket.
Maybe try the '-display :0.0' option

...doing as it asks doesn't help either.
Acoc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is an option in enlightenment_remote to get e17 to switch focus to the window below, when the middle mouse button is clicked on the title bar. This used to work with the default theme, but a couple of months ago they changed it to shading up.

John
Varean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having some trouble installing the Evolume module. When I type in
Code:
make install

I get:

Code:
varean@tux ~/evolume-0.0.14hb/evolume-0.0.14hb $ make install
Making install in src
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/varean/evolume-0.0.14hb/evolume-0.0.14hb/src'
Making install in lib
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/varean/evolume-0.0.14hb/evolume-0.0.14hb/src/lib'
make[3]: Entering directory `/home/varean/evolume-0.0.14hb/evolume-0.0.14hb/src/lib'
test -z "/usr/local/lib" || mkdir -p -- "/usr/local/lib"
 /bin/sh ../../libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c  'libemixer.la' '/usr/local/lib/libemixer.la'
/usr/bin/install -c .libs/libemixer.so.0.0.0 /usr/local/lib/libemixer.so.0.0.0
/usr/bin/install: cannot remove `/usr/local/lib/libemixer.so.0.0.0': Permission denied
make[3]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/varean/evolume-0.0.14hb/evolume-0.0.14hb/src/lib'
make[2]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/varean/evolume-0.0.14hb/evolume-0.0.14hb/src/lib'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/varean/evolume-0.0.14hb/evolume-0.0.14hb/src'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

Anyone know what's up?
Registered Linux User #387568
jxn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Varean
you have to be root when you do "make install"
Varean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, i was able to install it, But I cant load the module with enlightenment_remote, its says that there is no such module when i type in

Code:
enlightenment_remote -module-load evolume

or
Code:
enlightenment_remote -module-load evolume-0.0.14hb

Registered Linux User #387568
jxn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Varean:

the manual method installs the module to a different path... so you'll need to include the full pathname to get the module to load. Try this:
Code:
enlightenment_remote -module-load /usr/local/lib/enlightenment/modules/evolume/linux-gnu-i686/module.so

I don't actually have the evolume module installed, but I think that path should be right (or at least close).
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 1 of 40

Jump to: