View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahoogerhuis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, a good question for anyone interested: portage doesn't have tomcat 4.1.x anymore, OpenNMS needs it or now (tomcat 5.x support is in the works). Should I:

a) pull the tomcat 4.1.x-latest from the portage cvs and stick in my overlay to make it easy to use
b) tell people where to go figure all that out
c) detect if people has tomcat 4.1.x install already and if not warn them about their predicament and do a headless install?

-A
ahoogerhuis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And in a fit fuelled by much fine Dalwhinnie, a more cruft-free version that actually runs nicely can be found here:

http://portage.boxed.no/net-analyzer/opennms-server/opennms-server-1.2.3-r4.ebuild

-A
ahoogerhuis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now, for the 5:14am "Bedtime Edition", which another ton of small niggles fixed, and also a stab at a nice Gentoo-ified init-script wrapped up nicely:

http://portage.boxed.no/net-analyzer/opennms-server/opennms-server-1.2.3-r5.ebuild

Feel free to mail me and bug me with stuff that doesnt work properly :)

-A
ahoogerhuis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another day and a lot more typos and small things squashed:

http://portage.boxed.no/net-analyzer/opennms-server/opennms-server-1.2.3-r6.ebuild
ahoogerhuis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also a quick tidbit of info for those reading the thread, according to the gods that be in the OpenNMS world, work is goig to happen soon-ish on getting it over to tomcat 5.x, so taht will solve that missing link.

My ebuild will build as is without tomcat 4.1.x, as it is only the web-app stuff that cannot be installed without tomcat 4.1.x. It contains pointers to getting this working if you have your own tomcat 4.1.x or the old one from portage, if not it stays quiet abou tomcat.

Also, to make it easy on people I've made the ebuild as easy to build as possible, plenty of good information, and I've tried to filter out and only print things of relevance, depending on what you have on your system. Especially pay attention to the one big thing up front, when emergeing, telling you to make sure your postgresql is initialised. I stuck this one in here since many will probably just emerge opennms-server and then have postgresql pulled in from the same dependancies, and this have a cold and non-initialised postgresql.
ahoogerhuis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this. This has most issues I can find ironed out :)

http://portage.boxed.no/net-analyzer/opennms-server/opennms-server-1.2.3-r7.ebuild
njcwotx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im working on setting up some kind of NMS in our network...

Im going to give this a try out as well...

Ill keep this thread posted on my fun.
Always thirsting.
ator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am managed how to get working tomcat5 and opennms-1.2.4 togever. No additional configuration of server.xml, just add to tomcat-users.xml:
Code:

<role rolename="OpenNMS RTC Daemon"/>
  <role rolename="OpenNMS Administrator"/>
  <role rolename="OpenNMS User"/>
  <user username="rtc" password="rtc" roles="OpenNMS RTC Daemon"/>
  <user username="admin" password="admin" roles="OpenNMS Administrator,OpenNMS User"/>

copy opennms.xml to /etc/tomcat5/Catalina/localhost/ , and set right permissions on all OpenNMS staff.
I used opennms ebuild from bugzilla, just changed version number and tomcat from portage.

Please excuse my bad english.
ahoogerhuis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the followup. I have a 1.2.4 with tomcat 5 build im testing here, I have a handfull of issues witht he older ebuilds as well, and will adress most of these this weekend. :)
ator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, forgot to mention. Delete line about authentication from opennms.xml
Code:

<Realm className="org.opennms.web.authenticate.OpenNMSTomcatRealm" homeDir="/opt/OpenNMS" />
MmmmJoel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ahoogerhuis,

I look forward to seeing your 1.2.4 + tomcat 5 ebuild. I'll test it as soon as I see it on bugs.g.o. Just a quick note to make the ebuild a bit more future proof:

I would replace your use of xargs with find's -exec switch. It is safer to use (albeit slower) because xargs doesn't escape odd characters or spaces (by default, at least).

So replace this:

Code:

find ${D}/${INST_SHAREDIR} -type d | xargs chmod 750

with this:

Code:

find ${D}/${INST_SHAREDIR} -type d -exec chmod 750 {} \;

You can read this post or this page for a more thorough description.
Anakim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to be killed in trying to use the ebuild for tomcat 4 and opennms. I was scared by the installation manual to not to build from source. At last I decided to give a try and everything worked like charm (almost!:) So, I just wanted to share my successful installation of OpenNMS w/ Tomcat 4 & Postgresql 7:

- Download all files in http://portage.boxed.no/net-analyzer/opennms-server/ and place them in your portage overlay dir (i.e. /usr/local/portage/net-analyzer/openms-server/)
- Run emerge -avo opennms-server and have a look on the packages needed to be installed. If you get a very long list be mindful of the USE flags. Basically you need all the dev-java packages and the j2sdk that needs to be downloaded manually from java.com.
- Run emerge -avt "<postgresql-8". I decided not to use version 8 because I thought tomcat 4 may work better with an older version.
- Run emerge --config postgresql
- Download the tarball of the binary package jakarta-tomcat-4. I used version 4.1.30, and untarred it in /opt and created a symbolic link /opt/tomcat.
- Download the OpenNMS source and untar it in /usr/local/src.
- Create a build.properties file where is build.xml and place in it these two entries:
install.dir = /opt/opennms
build.postgresql.include.dir = /usr/include/postgresql/server
- Follow the Installation guide of OpenNMS about "Customizing Tomcat 4", "Customizing postgresql.conf", "Customizing pg_hba.conf", "Building from source" and "Installing from source"
- For the rc script of tomcat and opennms I placed everything in /etc/conf.d/local.start and /etc/conf.d/local.stop

Hope it will help! Happy monitoring!

Leonardo
ahoogerhuis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've risen fro the dead and fixed things more. I spoke ot one of the dev of OpenNMS and they folded the tomcat 5 bits that are neede dinot the upcoming 1.2.8, and I've rolled it up in a new ebuild, also squasing a few bugs.

- we now know we can run on PostgreSQL 8.0.x at least.
- we can run with tomcat 5.0.x nicely
- many small typos fixed
- untill OpenNMS is released in a few weeks or so, it will have the SRC_URI pointing at a tarball on one of my machines, called 1.2.8-1, this is *NOT* the full 1.2.8, but 1.2.7 pluss the tomcat 5 bits. once 1.2.8 is shipped I'll bump the version and off we go again, with source from sf.net.

For now, you should be able to merge tomcat 5, then merge opennms, and all should be swell.

Any problems, give me a shout, and also, one problem I'm not sure how to deal with: at the end of the ebuild install I do amny checks to see fi you have tomcat, that postgresql i setup nice and all such tings, but all the messages I print get wiped off by the unmerging og the older version on upgrading. Is there any way to deferr these messages?

-A
Anakim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, man!
I'm eager to try the new ebuild. However my server is in production, so I will give a try (as soon as I will have time!) on test server and see if it works!

I'll keep you posted.

Leonardo
ahoogerhuis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some housecleaning and the OpenNMS can now be found here: http://portage.boxed.no/net-analyzer/opennms/

I've seen some people attempt to access the old openms-server dir, but that's not there anymore.
mlaccetti
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busy emergin'g it right now.

Any ideas as to upgrading to use Tomcat 5.5? Or is that something to take up with the devs themselves?

Edit:
And if you need a mirror for your file, let me know... :)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Software Development and Consulting
R. Daneel Olivaw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to use opennms too.

For this kind of thing it is strongly recommended to use a dedicated host.

As it will only run opennms the distribution used is not that important IMHO, the only interesting criteria i found was being supported by the project. Support being definitiely a plus, i choosed a supported distro (centos4) over gentoo.
ikkyu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the updated http://portage.boxed.no/net-analyzer/opennms/
worked wonders for me going to 1.2.8 from 1.2.7 and using tomcat 5
giulianoz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ikkyu wrote:

Hi,
I use the opennms ebuild, but after starting pgsql, tomcat and opennms I get the following when I try to connecto to localhost:8080/opennms

Code:

HTTP Status 404 - /opennms/

type Status report

message /opennms/

description The requested resource (/opennms/) is not available.
Apache Tomcat/5.0.27

I looked at the installation docs and the opennms.xml, server.xml and work directory are fine.

do you have any idea on how to solve this ? tomcat test index.jsp page works fine

thanks

giuliano
giulianoz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giulianoz wrote:
ikkyu wrote:

Hi,
I use the opennms ebuild, but after starting pgsql, tomcat and opennms I get the following when I try to connecto to localhost:8080/opennms

Code:

HTTP Status 404 - /opennms/

type Status report

message /opennms/

description The requested resource (/opennms/) is not available.
Apache Tomcat/5.0.27

I looked at the installation docs and the opennms.xml, server.xml and work directory are fine.

do you have any idea on how to solve this ? tomcat test index.jsp page works fine

thanks

giuliano

solved :) I deployed the file:/opt/tomcat5/webapps/opennms.xml using the tomcat management console

bye

giuliano
krejci_420
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have OpenNMS installed (thank you very much for the ebuild). My issue is that I can't log into the web interface. http://localhost:8181/opennms and it prompts for HTTP authentication. I tried

user: admin
pass: admin

but this does not work. I tried other obvious combinations of user/pass such as opennms, password, admin, blank, etc. but nothing ever allows me in. Is this a problem specifically with OpenNMS or did I miss something? I installed via the ebuild and then finished by reading the book.html in the docs section (where I found the user/pass of admin/admin).

FYI I have never used Tomcat5, Postgres or OpenNMS and these were all fresh installs of each (regular x86 hardware). I ran all of the initializing scripts that I was prompted for and everything seems to be working otherwise. I can for example get to the Tomcat Admin and Tomcat Manager pages.

Anyone have any ideas at all? Should I go contact the OpenNMS community?
giulianoz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krejci_420 wrote:
I have OpenNMS installed (thank you very much for the ebuild). My issue is that I can't log into the web interface. http://localhost:8181/opennms and it prompts for HTTP authentication. I tried

user: admin
pass: admin

hi,
IIRC there is a file in /opt/opennms/etc with the login informations. you have to edit the file to set your admin password
hth

giuliano
bfdi533
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giulianoz wrote:

solved :) I deployed the file:/opt/tomcat5/webapps/opennms.xml using the tomcat management console

I tried to do the same thing by putting "file:///opt/OpenNMS/webapps/opennms.xml" into the "XML Configuration file URL" box and "/opennms" in the "WAR or Directory URL" box.

I get the following error when I do so:

Code:

FAIL - Encountered exception java.io.IOException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.opennms.web.log.Log4JLogger

I do have dev-java/log4j-1.2.9 successfully installed.

Any thoughts?
bfdi533
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that I have gotten a lot farther along on the opennms install process than I had the last time I posted.

I now have opennms installed and running. I cannot, however, login to the WebUI to do anything with it. I have tried to use the admin/admin user/pass and it just does not work.

On the flip side, I have tried using the /opt/OpenNMS/bin/send-event.pl and was able to tell opennms that there were some nodes to discover and have queried the postgresql tables directly and see that it is actually polling them and discovering nodes and services. So, I know that opennms is running and doing its thing.

But, without the WebUI, I cannot really do anything useful with it.

Any tips on what needs to be done to get the WebUI up and running would be great. Anyone have any experience with this that hangs out somewhere in IRC that would be willing to help me with this?
bfdi533
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, seems I have finally looked at this thing from the right angle and found the solution to my problem.

in /opt/tomcat5/logs/catalina.out there were entries showing Permission Denied as shown here:

Code:

INFO: Removing web application at context path /opennms
INFO: Processing Context configuration file URL file:/etc/tomcat5/Catalina/localhost/opennms.xml
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (OpenNMS.WEB.AUTH).
log4j:ERROR Could not read configuration file [/opt/OpenNMS//etc/log4j.properties].
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /opt/OpenNMS/etc/log4j.properties (Permission denied)
        at org.opennms.web.ServletInitializer.init(ServletInitializer.java:139)
        at org.opennms.web.InitializerServletContextListener.contextInitialized(InitializerServletContextListener.java:75)
log4j:ERROR Ignoring configuration file [/opt/OpenNMS//etc/log4j.properties].
log4j:ERROR Could not read configuration file [/opt/OpenNMS//etc/log4j.properties].
java.io.FileNotFoundException: /opt/OpenNMS/etc/log4j.properties (Permission denied)
        at org.opennms.web.ServletInitializer.init(ServletInitializer.java:139)
        at org.opennms.web.InitializerServletContextListener.contextInitialized(InitializerServletContextListener.java:75)
log4j:ERROR Ignoring configuration file [/opt/OpenNMS//etc/log4j.properties].

So, I added the tomcat user to the opennms group and it now starts up without those errors (though I have new ones now) and I can login to the WebUI.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: