not enough space problem & moving to another hdd question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mantasman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: not enough space problem & moving to another hdd questio Reply with quote

hi,
i had many problems with local www server today. php sessions didnt work, mysql didnt start at all... so, i've lost ~4-6 hours when i was messing around it :x . later i've found that there's no enough space on my / partition :evil: .
most strange think is that there's 230 megs of free space here (as gnome system monitor claims). i can move or copy files in terminal (as root) but i cant do same things in nautilus (as root too).
how can i disable this quota?

and the second question is...
is it possible to easily move to another partition? something like mv / /mnt/another_partition.
kands
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mantasman,

1) To see what your actual usage is:

Drop down out of gnome (Kill the gnome processes altogether) back to the command line and type:

df

This should give you an accurate indication of what space is remaining on your mounted drives.

du -chs /*

That will tell you what directories are using how much space and what the total usage is.

2) To mount a directory somewhere else

- Shut down your machine and install an additional drive
- boot with a live cd and partition this (new) drive as you see fit. make sure you don't remove your existing partitions on your original disk! ;)
- mount the existing root dir / and the new partitions (as something like: /newpart1, /newpart2, etc <- these are temporary mounts)
- copy the data from /home (an example) to /newpart1. also add an extra file to the /newpart1 directory called new.txt
- rename the directory /mnt/gentoo/home to /mnt/gentoo/homeold
- alter /mnt/gentoo/etc/fstab so that /home (again just an example directory) is mounted as /dev/hdb1 (the newpart1 partition). You'll have to add this line to the fstab file as it is a new mountpoint.
- unmount all mounted partitions (as in the final step in the actual live cd install)
- reboot
- when your system comes up go to the command line and type mount. this will show you what drives / partitions are mounted. in my example you should see /home mounted on /dev/hdb1.
- ls /home and you should see the file new.txt. if you see this file you've successfully mounted the new partition on a different drive.
- once you're satisfied the correct partition is mounted you can remove the /homeold directory and you've freed up space on your old drive.

Good luck!
mantasman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i already have my /home on another partition because i us e same /home on ubuntu & gentoo.
but is it possible to move / (/etc, /usr, /bin, /sbin....) to another directory?
chrbecke
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mantasman wrote:
i already have my /home on another partition because i us e same /home on ubuntu & gentoo.
but is it possible to move / (/etc, /usr, /bin, /sbin....) to another directory?

Sure. Just make sure you keep permissions and symlinks when copying, e.g. by using
Code:
cp -a /var /mnt/newpartition/

And do it from a livecd!
kands
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mantasman wrote:

Yes. You can follow the same procedure. Just make sure you test everything carefully before you delete any of the original files! :)

Any other q's?

Good luck.
mantasman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. i've just succesfully moved /tmp to another partition. will try to do same with other folders on tomorrow.
dhave
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been a helpful thread. I'll be doing something similar soon. My question:

Is there anything special that I need to be aware of if I'm using a different filesystem (reiserfs instead of ext3) on my destination partition -- other than making sure fstab is updated, that is?

Thanks.
kands
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhave wrote:

Is there anything special that I need to be aware of if I'm using a different filesystem (reiserfs instead of ext3) on my destination partition -- other than making sure fstab is updated, that is?

Hi,

The file system is pretty much independant of this process and you shouldn't encounter any problems related to changing file systems on partitions (given that fstab is updated and you have the new filesystem compiled into your kernel).
dhave
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kands wrote:

The file system is pretty much independant of this process and you shouldn't encounter any problems related to changing file systems on partitions (given that fstab is updated and you have the new filesystem compiled into your kernel).

O.K., thanks. That's good news.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: