Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

InfinityX wrote:
Seems to be working so far, thanks! Though it's a shame to lose the framebuffer. I'm going to suspend it for around half an hour to test it properly now, then see if it can make it through the night without being plugged in. Technically the battery should be able to last around 2-3 days when suspended but we'll see how it goes.
My iBook with Gentoo on it would suspend with APM for days. On this setup with my new laptop the battery life seems to deplete quickly. Like I said above, it seems to be warm when suspended... maybe it isn't shutting down all the hardware properly.

EDIT: I'm trying out APM now also. So far APM doesn't have the distortion problems I had with ACPI. The reason I'm trying APM though is to see if it solves the problems of the laptop depeting battery quick when suspended.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2850969.html#2850969
InfinityX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How quickly is yours depleting? After 6 hours suspened the battery level on mine dropped around 10%, suffice to say I'm very happy. I'm guessing you've already looked here, the Radeon stuff probably isn't very helpful but the WoL might be.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

InfinityX wrote:
How quickly is yours depleting? After 6 hours suspened the battery level on mine dropped around 10%, suffice to say I'm very happy. I'm guessing you've already looked here, the Radeon stuff probably isn't very helpful but the WoL might be.
Mine seems to drain much quicker, I haven't timed it, but I think much more than 10% per hour. I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. APM sleep also seems to generate heat, and I can't read the battery percentages using APM (something must be broke) so I'm not sure how much it looses.

I'm still not ready to discount APM. I'm having a few issues, but it seems that my laptop standby button started work automatically with APM, and the suspend/resume is much faster than ACPI.

EDIT: I just tested ACPI battery drain while asleep. It seems to go at about 9% an hour. It's better than I had orignally thought, but still pretty bad.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to destroy my filesystem yesteraday, with all the problems I was having... and I'm sure all the hard poweroffs. Anyways I managed to get things back up and running. This time I decided to go with suspend2 instead of suspend-to-ram. I may try it again, but suspend2 actually resumes decently fast, and no problems with the screen.
InfinityX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I might be joining you. I suspend a short while ago and when I resumed it I was greeted with GRUB instead of my desktop, shortly before a large crash :x
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

InfinityX wrote:
I think I might be joining you. I suspend a short while ago and when I resumed it I was greeted with GRUB instead of my desktop, shortly before a large crash :x
Yeah I got a few crashes too, before the corruption, some with the mouse... some with the keyboard.

I timed suspend2, and it seems to resume from boot in about 23 seconds on my machine. I think I can deal with that. I'm going to set it to suspend to disk on closing the laptop lid too.

It's a bit disapointing, since my iBook running Gentoo can suspend to ram for days and days... Actually since the start of this thread it has been sleeping. I'm sure someday there will be a kernel that can resume this graphics card.

I know a lot about programming and developing software, but I know close to zero about hardware programming and writing drivers, or I would try to fix these problems myself.
widan
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikegpitt wrote:
It's a bit disapointing, since my iBook running Gentoo can suspend to ram for days and days... Actually since the start of this thread it has been sleeping.

Strictly speaking, a computer in S3 mode uses little power (enough to power the RAM chips themselves, the clock generator and the memory controller in the northbridge). Problems start when some devices are not powered down properly. Usually the culprits are graphics chips. The GPU core is usually shut down properly (because it is done through the PCI power management interface), but there are other chips around the GPU that use quite a bit of power: DACs for external outputs like TV-out or external VGA, LVDS transceivers for DVI or LCD interface, ... It is usually possible to shut those down, but they need special code for that.
mikegpitt wrote:
I know a lot about programming and developing software, but I know close to zero about hardware programming and writing drivers, or I would try to fix these problems myself.

The first problem is to have the proper documentation. Normally complex chips talk to external parts either via I2C/SMBus or via GPIOs. So you need to know:
  1. How to talk on the I2C bus of the GPU/chipset or how to program the GPIOs (normally it is documented in the main chip's datasheet)
  2. Which I2C addresses or which GPIOs are used (this can change between laptops with the same chipset)
  3. What are the commands available on the helper chip(s). For that one you need the datasheet of the helper part, and this is usually not easy to get.

So unfortunately it's not only a matter of knowing how to write drivers. What is needed is likely not much code, but before the code can be written, it is usually a lot of work simply to get the needed documentation.
massysett
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

widan wrote:
mikegpitt wrote:
My card is an Intel 855GM.

Then look at this page. The problem seems to be that the video BIOS is not run again on resume, so the video card is not initialized at all. Check if your BIOS has an option "Re-POST video on S3 resume" or similar. If it has one, you can try to activate it. Else you can use vbetool as suggested in the like above:

The vbetool works perfectly with a Dell Latitude D410 with Intel 915GM; with and without X, and with a framebuffer, thanks! Now I can close my lid, open it again, and still have a screen.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: