View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru

Location: Klamath Falls, Jefferson, USA, North America, Midgarth

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Installing on old machine Reply with quote

I have a Pac bell "legend 300SX". looked it up before, but I belive it is a 386SX 20mhz. maxes out at 16mb of ram.

I have been contamplating (nothing more since I need to find more memory first) putting freesco on it.

However, there are some issues with freesco that are bothering me, and I'd like to try to install gentoo with a 2.6 kernel. I Know that linux can be installed on as low as a 386SX 16 / 4mb, but, can I install 2.6 based gentoo on this box? I intend to offload via NFS everything possible (including swap) to a different machine.

the box would be a firewall / router / ssh server only. install would be onto a CF card via ide adapter

so can it be done? or is a 386 just too old?
NQS

As I see it -- An irregular blog, Improved with new location

To delete French language packs from system use 'sudo rm -fr /'
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NotQuiteSane,

Hmm. I have a 386SX with 13Mb RAM. It took all day to do a network install of Red Hat 6.1 with all the options off.
Setting up ISA cards can be a challenge too.

If you don't have the 387SX Maths co-processor, you will need a kernel with Maths Emulation to even get started.
They are rare today.

You can build on a different machine for the 386SX target, then move the HDD back to the 386.
Using root and swap over NFS is not a good idea on a firewall, since any breakins would get to the NFS host.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
If you don't have the 387SX Maths co-processor, you will need a kernel with Maths Emulation to even get started.
They are rare today.

uh...

2.6 has math emulation. so not "rare". unless you mean "not many use it"

Quote:
You can build on a different machine for the 386SX target, then move the HDD back to the 386.

I was thinking of building in a chrooted enviroment, then using a boot floppy to fdisk and scp the system, over. alkthough a physical install isn't that much more work

Quote:
Using root and swap over NFS is not a good idea on a firewall, since any breakins would get to the NFS host.

Defiently not root. but why not swap, especially if encrypted? my main reason for wanting swap over nfs is I want a box with no moving parts (hence the CF card), and with the 100K write life time of flash memory, swap and /tmp will kill the card very quickly

I was thinking of mounting over NFS /usr/portage, & /var.

NQS

NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NotQuiteSane,

You need a kernel with Maths Emulation compiled in. Most kernels today omit that. (Yes the option is still in 2.6). They assume you have an on die co-processor, which started with the 486DX. You will need a kernel built for a 386 with Maths Emulation included to even boot.

Swap over a 10Mbit/sec network will be painfully slow. You may get data rates as high as 1MB/sec.
You only have ISA slots and 100Mbit network cards were not made in ISA, with the exception of a few weird non standard point to point links. I understand the wear issue on flash memory, and why you want to move swap, /tmp and /var away from flash.
Sharing things over NFS is not generally secure, so if your firewall was compromised you would be making it easier for an attacker to get into the NFS server.

Your install method is sound.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I "solved" the problem. found a scrap 486sx/25 that has pci slots and takes 72 pin sticks. got 96mb in it now, but I'm gonna look for both 64 and 128mb sticks, give me between 256-512mb, which should be enough to elminate swap. still got to worry about /tmp and /var, I'm considering SHFS for those, but the one write at a time has me a bit worried. perhaps, if there is enough memory, put them on tmpfs, and use a cron job to write /var to the CF

if I write /var to flash every half hour, i calculate a 5 year life time, by which time the 1 mil write CF card should be out

NQS

NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NotQuiteSane,

Thats a big step in the right direction. The 486SX still does not have a floating point processor.
The original 486SX chips were actually 486DX that failed testing for floating point operations. Some were marginal fails and worked OK in practice. Later, Intel took the FPU out and made real 486SX chips.
If you have a 486SX in a ceramic pin grid array, it may be one of the early ones with an almost working FPU. If its in a plastic package, with wires on all four sides, the FPU has been surgically removed.
Most real 486SX motherboards were made with an upgrade socket for a 487. The 487 is just a 486DX with an extra pin thats used to turn off the soldered in 486SX.

The life of your flash may be better than you think. Flash life was at 100,000 writes before wear levelling was introduced.
The file caching carried out by the kernel will help too. 96Mb should be enough to avoid the need for swap.
/usr can be read only, as can root if you make /etc/mtab a symbolic link to /proc/mounts.

There is a special filesystem for flash - JFFS2 I think, you may want to look into that.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Other Things Gentoo
djpharoah
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow..486sx cpu
that was my first pc back in like '89..if you succeed i will attempt it on this pos i have under my bed at home.
its a 486 of some kind..would do it just for fun..

btw gl
NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Thats a big step in the right direction. The 486SX still does not have a floating point processor.

Ah, I understand the usefulness of the FPU, but so far I have zero dollars invested into this project. I may have to buy a larger CF card, and I will have to get a flash to IDE adapter. but i'm trying to keep this project cheap. I'f a DX drops in my lap, cool. if not, this will do. I won't go pentium because I'm trying to keep this solid state, and I don't want a fan.

BTW, the board has pci too, so I can use a pair of the couple dozen 3com cards I have. all but one of my ISA's are noty 3com, and I perfer them for networking

Quote:
If you have a 486SX in a ceramic pin grid array,

Look like that to me

Quote:
Most real 486SX motherboards were made with an upgrade socket

no extra socket. it's a M919 v3.4/b.

Quote:
The life of your flash may be better than you think. Flash life was at 100,000 writes before wear levelling was introduced.

maybe. but I'm unsure of the age of my cards.

Quote:
The file caching carried out by the kernel will help too. 96Mb should be enough to avoid the need for swap.

I had trouble finding much info on my board, but it looks like it maxes out at 128mb. and here I was hoping to have to hunt for 4 128's but my server has 128 real and 256 swap, and it's only using about 120 mb, so I think you're right. and all of my boxes thave /tmp and /var/tmp/portage in tmpfs

Quote:
/usr can be read only, as can root if you make /etc/mtab a symbolic link to /proc/mounts.

I'll probably make everything but /var ro, so as to give an extra bit of protection from hackers.

Quote:
There is a special filesystem for flash - JFFS2 I think, you may want to look into that.

I've glanced at it. I need to study it more, but I probably will use it.

right now I'm chrooted in on tty1 of this box building the system, once "system" is done, I'll go through and mask all the "unneeded" packages and remove them. Then I can get a idea of how much space I need on the CF card.

Still gotta find a box too, the new board won't fit the 386 case. but I have sources that I can get that from.

NQS

NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djpharoah wrote:
wow..486sx cpu
that was my first pc back in like '89..if you succeed i will attempt it on this pos i have under my bed at home.
its a 486 of some kind..would do it just for fun..

btw gl

Damm wippersnappers!

/me hugs his C-64, and wishes he still had his vic 20 and c-128

I have no doubts I'll suceed. remember Linus developed v 0.1 on a 386 with 8mb, and slackware has a version for 4mb machines

that 486 will make an excelent router, most commercial routers are at best a quarter of the HP of it. I don't have the link here, but if you're going CF, like I am, I found a site offering the adapters for $8-12 depending on model. much better than the $40 i was finding them for

NQS

NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NotQuiteSane,

This page and some of its links tells you all you need to know about your board.

The reason it doen't have an upgrade socket is that it has a ZIF socket for the CPU, that marks it as a very late 486 board.
It also has the level 2 cache on a stick, rather than DIL sockets. Maybe it is a DX chip after all?

Code:
less /proc/cpuinfo
will tell all.

Now, I must get my Apple ][ out of the loft.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
NotQuiteSane
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
NotQuiteSane,

This page and some of its links tells you all you need to know about your board.

Alrady been there. I'd like to find an OEM manual for it. but I don't "need" one

Quote:
The reason it doen't have an upgrade socket is that it has a ZIF socket for the CPU, that marks it as a very late 486 board.
It also has the level 2 cache on a stick, rather than DIL sockets. Maybe it is a DX chip after all?

the stick is missing, and the chip has "i486SX" and a date of 1989, but not sure if that's the manufacturing date

Quote:
Code:
less /proc/cpuinfo
will tell all.

Just as soon as Tom's root/boot loads ...

Quote:
Now, I must get my Apple ][ out of the loft.

Got a sinclair in the closet ;-)

NQS

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: