View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlowell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:05 am    Post subject: Changing Fluxbox Design Reply with quote

Until now, I've never used a window manager without running a desktop too. I'm running Fluxbox by itself and like the simplicity but would like to somehow edit out part of it's design. Everytime I run a terminal or a program in Fluxbox, in the upper left there appears something like a little tab that shows the program's name, or at least part of it if the name is too long. I'd love to get rid of that little tab. Can it be done somehow?

jlowell
evidence
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the menu, click on 'settings' then 'configure' then 'use tabs'.
jlowell
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evidence,

That's got it! Thanks, evidence!

jlowell
floam
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you dont like all the useless extras of fluxbox, ide reccomend openbox. ohh. love.
evidence
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if you dont like all the useless extras of fluxbox, ide reccomend openbox. ohh. love.

useless extras?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

What could be better than hitting Ctrl-F5(my own custom quick key) a couple of times, having two terms open up on a certain desktop, sized the way I like(remember patch) and tabbed, so I can quickly Alt-Tab between them and they take up the same space?

Those extras save me time and desktop real estate! Useful! Useful! :D
al
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evidence: What patch is that? Sounds interesting.

I love Fluxbox and anything that can improve its functionality is fair game for me.
evidence
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember Patch adds 'remember' functionality like enlightenment has. You can remember what size you want apps to start at, or specify what desktop you'd like an app to start in. Pretty nice. To get it working do this:

Edit the fluxbox-0.1.14-r1 ebuild by uncommenting the following line

Code:

#epatch ${FILESDIR}/${P}-remember.patch

Then re-emerge fluxbox. It will compile with it, and you'll be able to right click on title bars to specify remember settings. I think the reason it's commented out is because it's not an official part of the fluxbox package. But it works just fine. I've been using it since the 1.13 series.

Have fun!
al
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evidence:

Sorry for being thick as sh*t in a bottle,but i presumed you meant to extract the ebuild file then edit the config file to find the "#epatch ${FILESDIR}/${P}-remember.patch " line,but when i do that then search for the line with "kedit" i get nothing!

Am i missing something,or have i drunk to much of this lovely Jameson Irish Whiskey(established since 1780)?

I never get these problems when i drink my usual Jack Daniels Tennessee sour mash Whiskey(est. & reg. in 1866)

He,He I love being an alchoholic-computers & drink after a hard weeks work.Does life get much better?

Or am i just a boring old fart?(33yrs going on 90)

Ramble,ramble
evidence
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncomment that line in this file
Code:

/usr/portage/x11-wm/fluxbox/fluxbox-0.1.14-r1.ebuild

So you'll be editing the ebuild file, not any makefile or source.

Quote:

Am i missing something,or have i drunk to much of this lovely Jameson Irish Whiskey(established since 1780)?

Don't ever say that! You can never drink too much Whiskey! Although I prefer Maker's Mark myself. Just try to refrain from using the rm command. :lol:
easykill
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evidence wrote:

Don't ever say that! You can never drink too much Whiskey! Although I prefer Maker's Mark myself. Just try to refrain from using the rm command. :lol:

Slightly offtopic, but this reminds me of a good joke.

I work at the Computer Science department at University of Wisconsin, and every semester we have to do these "unix orientation" things, where we teach students how to use unix, cause almost all of the comp sci classes are unix/linux based...

One thing we always say we're gonna "teach" the annoying stupid students that don't seem to get anything is the "readmail" command, which you abbreviate as "rm" and you want to do it "real fast" which you abbreviate as -rf, and all of the messages, so *

of course, nobody has actually had the balls to tell a student that...

my current goal for the year is to get the department to migrate from a customized Red Hat 7.2 distro and switch to gentoo, heh...doubtful though.
al
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,I just re-emerged fluxbox with the remember patch and it works a treat!

Cheers for that-Fluxbox just got better-don't know why it isn't configured as standard.
ggelln
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the remember tip!

fixed my only complaint against fluxbox . . .
it is perfect,
just perfect . . .

Gabriel
oregonshoegazer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a question that pertains to this subject as well as the idea of the evolution of ebuilds.

for fluxbox ebuild fluxbox-0.1.14.ebuild, there is no "src_unpack" function as there is in fluxbox-0.1.14-r1.ebuild. accordingly, there is no patch option for "remember" with the fluxbox-0.1.14.ebuild. i have a couple of questions:

1. are patches only contained in release candidate ebuilds?
2. is there a way to include the "remember" patch with the fluxbox-0.1.14.ebuild just by copying in that "src_unpack" function?
3. how could i opt for the fluxbox-0.1.14-r1.ebuild instead of the fluxbox-0.1.14.ebuild when emerging?

thanks much. ah... crap... i'm late for work. if only gentoo weren't so interesting... :lol:
easykill
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as i know, the ebuilds without the -rX whatever are just the plain source from the developer

the -rX builds are ones taht have been patched by gentoo, either with fixes for security, or other patches and stuff...sometimes they incorporate new features from CVS, etc...

I could be wrong on that though
commanderfoxtrot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Fluxbox's wierd alt-tab ordering Reply with quote

ggelln wrote:
thanks for the remember tip!

fixed my only complaint against fluxbox . . .
it is perfect,
just perfect . . .

Gabriel

Only when alt-tab works as the world expects will it be truly perfect... until then it's nigh-on perfect!
evidence
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In flux, you have to configure shortcut keys the way you want them.
You can do this by editing ~/.fluxbox/keys or by emerging 'fluxconf' which comes with 'fluxkeys'. Adding the following line to your ~/.fluxbox/keys file will make alt+tab switch between apps on your current desktop.

Code:

Mod1 Tab :NextWindow
Arthur Vandelay
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Evidence's Icon Reply with quote

Wow, havn't seen The Kids in the Hall in ages. You made my day.

PS. I'm crushing your head....I'm crushing your head....
Attis SH
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oregonshoegazer wrote:

for fluxbox ebuild fluxbox-0.1.14.ebuild, there is no "src_unpack" function as there is in fluxbox-0.1.14-r1.ebuild. accordingly, there is no patch option for "remember" with the fluxbox-0.1.14.ebuild. i have a couple of questions:

1. are patches only contained in release candidate ebuilds?

You seem to mix release candidates and Gentoo releases. Release candidates end in _rc while Gentoo specific releases end in -r.

From Gentoo developer docs:

The fourth section of the package name is the Gentoo Linux-specific revision number ({-r#}). This section, like the suffix, is also optional. # is a non-zero positive integer, e.g. package-4.5.3-r3.

This revision number is independent of the version of the source tarball and is used to inform people that a new and improved Gentoo Linux revision of a particular package is available. Initial releases of ebuilds must have no revision number, e.g. package-4.5.3 and are considered by Portage to have a revision number of zero. This means that counting goes as follows: 1.0 (initial version), 1.0-r1, 1.0-r2, etc.

Quote:

2. is there a way to include the "remember" patch with the fluxbox-0.1.14.ebuild just by copying in that "src_unpack" function?
3. how could i opt for the fluxbox-0.1.14-r1.ebuild instead of the fluxbox-0.1.14.ebuild when emerging?

Just upgrade the package.
oregonshoegazer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:oops: i think i called it "release candidate" just because i had finished doing an install and had "rc3" on the brain. thanks attis.

thanks also for the blurb from the dev docs. haven't had time to read those yet... so when you say "just upgrade the package", you mean:
Code:

emerge -u fluxbox

right? i'll give it a shot when i get home. thanks again.
Attis SH
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oregonshoegazer wrote:
:oops: i think i called it "release candidate" just because i had finished doing an install and had "rc3" on the brain. thanks attis.

thanks also for the blurb from the dev docs. haven't had time to read those yet... so when you say "just upgrade the package", you mean:
Code:

emerge -u fluxbox

right? i'll give it a shot when i get home. thanks again.

Exactly. You also might want to see what other packages will be upgraded (if any), to check this, type:
Code:

emerge -pu fluxbox

(-p stands for --pretend) After this upgrade fluxbox with
Code:

emerge -u fluxbox
Attis SH
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Fluxbox Design Reply with quote

jlowell wrote:
Until now, I've never used a window manager without running a desktop too. I'm running Fluxbox by itself and like the simplicity but would like to somehow edit out part of it's design. Everytime I run a terminal or a program in Fluxbox, in the upper left there appears something like a little tab that shows the program's name, or at least part of it if the name is too long. I'd love to get rid of that little tab. Can it be done somehow?
jlowell

This sounds strange for me, I thinks tabs are one of the most useful features in fluxbox. I set it up so each xterm I start gets attached to the same window frame minimizing screen space usage. They get moved/resized together etc. Also, you can drag and drop tabs on other windows to manually "merge them" to one frame. There are also special keyboard commands to switch between tabs, just like switching windows or workspaces. Not to mention that you can set up tabs so they are attached eg. to the left border having tabs with vertical text. :)

Tabs will probably not fit your needs but they are indeed a great idea. Might worth a try.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: