Gentoo Stage 1 Installation: Python-related Errors
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karurosu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Gentoo Stage 1 Installation: Python-related Errors Reply with quote

I have decided to redo my gentoo installation, and I have ran into some sort of strange problem with python which affects env-update, and portage. I have tried multiple snapshots, syncs, and metadata/tree rebuilds, but they did not help. The errors are the following...

For env-update:
Code:
/usr/lib/python2.3/fcntl.py:7: DepreciationWarning: the FCNTL module is depreciated; please use fcntl DepreciationWarning)

For bootstrap.sh -f:
Code:
/usr/lib/python2.3/fcntl.py:7: DepreciationWarning: the FCNTL module is depreciated; please use fcntl DepreciationWarning)
Calculating dependences ...done!
>>> emerge (1 of 1) sys-apps/portage/2.0.51.22-r to /
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 3200, in ?
    mydepgraph.merge(mydepgrah.altlist())
  File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 1859, in merge
    retval=portage.doebuild(y,"fetch",myroot,self.pkgsettings,edebug,("--pretend" in myopts),fetchonly=1)
  File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 2664, in doebuild
    if mydo!="manifest" and not fetch(fetchme, mysettings, listonly=listonly, fetchonly=fetchonly):
  File "/usr/lib/portage/pym/portage.py", line 1819, in fetch
    file_lock = portage_locks.lockfile(mysettings["DISTDIR"]+"/"+locks_in_subdir+"/"+myfile,wantnewlockfile=1)
  File "/usr/portage/pym/portage_locks.py", line 91, in lockfile
   locking_method = fcntl.lockf
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'lockf'

Note: Error report accuracy is limited due to there is no pasting capabilities. Above report is hand typed.

Any help is most appreciated.

Thanks,

Karurosu
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either you don't have Internet available in which case you're using the snapshots on the universal CD. If that is the case, you shouldn't even try to perform a stage1 since that isn't supported.

If you have an Internet connection, try running emerge --info > emerge-output.log 2>&1 and then upload emerge-output.log somewhere so we can have a look (you can use scp for secure copying) at your environment.

Why are you trying to bootstrap? Stage1 installations are only of interest when you are modifying the bootstrap script itself or attempting to bootstrap a user-defined profile. Does the error also occur with stage3 installations?
karurosu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I most certainly have an internet connection available as I have pinged other servers, downloaded the stage & snapshot files, and synced the portage tree. Why am I doing a Stage 1?, Well, why am I choosing gentoo over other distributions?, To put it short... I like what gentoo offers me which is choice, and I like to explore my options. I did have a stage 3 install before (A small test, couldn't spend time compiling), but now I wish to attempt a stage 1 installation (curiosity, specific-learning/experience, customization, performance, etc.) --- I do not mind long compile times, as I actually like them... strangely.

http://70.35.240.18:8213/emerge-output.log

Just an hour before I attempted the master installation, I installed a pre-mature stage 3 on a small partition to attempt to compile a FS-support kernel module. I did not experience any sort of problem during this installation (The portage tree synched perfectly, and packages could be emerged online).

Karurosu
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

From your description, I think that you should look at the Stage1/3 Guide and or at the JackAss! Project. Just to clarify, those are experienced installation methods that aren't supported by the Gentoo team, but many people, including me, have used them sucessfully. These methods give you the performance benefits of a Stage 1 installation without most of its shortcommings.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-345229-highlight-stage+1+3.html
http://jackass.homelinux.org/

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karurosu wrote:

but now I wish to attempt a stage 1 installation (curiosity, specific-learning/experience, customization, performance, etc.)

A stage-1 installation is only really interesting if you are tweaking the bootstrap script.

A quick search on the bugzilla site gave a hit for the FCNTL issue. Did the problem occur immediately or after upgrading python?
karurosu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already seen the bug report, and three others on the forums (Two had no solution, One said to rebuild the metadata & check nfs). Immediately... Copy the portage snapshot> chroot> env-update> error... You cannot emerge anything, so I couldn't upgrade python through portage which is the first thing this script goes for.

Karurosu
karurosu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the problem... I was using LVM2, and this seems to be the root of the problem as I can do a more unified approach (everything on root), and it works. I remember reading an entry on the wiki which said that portage would not work on a separate partition, and since portage is on /usr > /dev/vg/usr, it's technically on another partition which is causing it to have fits. Hopefully this problem will be resolved in the future.

Karurosu
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: