Kernel source no more available
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacTuitui
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Kernel source no more available Reply with quote

I was installing gentoo on an old laptop and I wanted to build a GRP, as waiting 4 hours to get xorg compiled was not my first ojective. I wanted a base to use quickly, and afterwards, recompile everything.

So, following the guidebook, step 7.b. Installing the sources.

Code:

emerge gentoo-sources

Then, portage comes in and...

Nowhere to find the tarball. Nope. Nothing. Everything was gone. I wanted my kernel...

So, as I am used to do when such problems occurs, I started to

Code:

emerge sync

and I was happy. Gentoo-sources became available, and so on. But after a kernel compile, and emerging a couple of small packages, I was like, omgwtf I made a big mistake. No way, so far from the release of the 2005.1 grp, I would be able to use precompiled packages. And I was damn right. If I wanted to stay "as in the book", I could not use any prebuilt stuff. I could reuse the portage snapshot, but I was afraid of the results. I could have set up a portage overlay, but then again I am not used to do that. I wanted a clean and reference machine.

So I went to the long (but smooth) compile of my old buddy xorg. Not that I cared that much about the long time, I slept.

So my point is:
I suppose I should have emerged the gentoo-sources from the universal cd. Is there a way to update the guide book for future users ? Just one line like "for grp, don't emerge sync, use emerge -k" or whatever.

Just my 2 cents. On the whole, I found the guidebook awesome. 2 years ago, it was great. Now, it's even better.
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the handbook makes it perfectly clear that in order to use GRP, you should not update Portage. GRP is only referenced in the networkless installation instructions anyway and we don't talk about updating Portage there.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this problem has been sorted ouit, since I haven't done a GRP install in over a year, but when emerging some packages they needed to d/l things off the net anyways. Usually this wasn't a huge problem, btu in some cases the download was no longer available. One particular case I remember was emerging gentoo-sources and a patch was no longer there. Due to issues like this I stopped using the GRP installs.

One tip for GRP people is 'emerge -K' instead of 'emerge -k'. The '-K' forces the system to install the version on the GRP cd even if there is a newer version available in portage.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: