View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avieth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: KDE 4 is Gonna Rock Reply with quote

Take a look at this screenshot!

http://www.abclinuxu.cz/images/clanky/kratky/kde4-plasma-2.png

Best looking desktop I've ever seen.
silk.odyssey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm looks interesting
widremann
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad the powers that be want to kill off KDE in favor of the crapathon that is GNOME.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting maybe. To me this looks like they just threw together some eye candy without looking at how people would actually use the proposed(?) new features. I for one hope that the current look and feel wil at least be an option.
crudh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a mockup to me?
Sangeki
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: erm guys... Reply with quote

No one knows yet how KDE 4 will look.

This Screenshot is just a basic concept. (and it doesn't look that fascinating IMHO)
I'm (nowadays) a pretty big Fan of KDE and I'm sure KDE 4 will rock but it's realy to far off to have anything to discuss now.

And just because Novell makes GNOME the default Desktop on all it's product's doesn't mean that they could kill KDE... :roll:
michelle778
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks nice, really, but it doesn't look very usebale or easy on your hardware ressources...
avieth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love eye candy, but KDE really isnt a great choice for slower systems. If I have a < 600 mhz computer on my hands, Xfce is the solution.
oddie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: KDE 4 is Gonna Rock Reply with quote

[dreaming sigh]
If they would implement one day something `easy-to-useable' for modular installation like split-ebuilds...
[/dreaming sigh]
DarkMind
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avieth wrote:
I love eye candy, but KDE really isnt a great choice for slower systems. If I have a < 600 mhz computer on my hands, Xfce is the solution.

xfce4 is good desktop, but for geeks :lol:

kde and gnome are the only solution for massive desktop use :)
Archangel1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddie wrote:
[dreaming sigh]
If they would implement one day something `easy-to-useable' for modular installation like split-ebuilds...
[/dreaming sigh]

Is that meant to be sarcastic? 'Cause there have been split ebuilds for some time now...

DarkMind wrote:

Enlightenment > *

Okay, okay, I'm using Konqueror in it as well, because it's good at what it does. I don't find that I need a full on DE to get work done though - hell, most serious work tends to be within one app at a time, in which case the WM makes no difference anyway :-)
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkMind wrote:
avieth wrote:

xfce4 is good desktop, but for geeks :lol:

:lol: If you consider the xfce users to be geeks, what do you think about people who use fvwm?

KDE and Gnome are both great designs with a good side (and a lot of bad ones). They are friendly for new users (or so are they said), but, unfortunatelly we all know where the evolution will got with that...
Nowadays, you can still take a kde (I suppose that the same is possible with gnome as well) and customize it to be very light, while keeping all the functionality. I usually use fvwm, but sometimes i like to play around with kde a bit. The current kde-3.5 is fast for me, as I use only the usefull features. For example, who needs kdesktop? I never manager to understand what's the meaning of desktop icons when you are woking and have a maxed window in front of your desktop (if you dont have one, better turn off the light). That, a light background, a blank screensaver and a not-so-fancy kwin theme, with none of karamba or gdesklets stuff gives you a fully functional kde (that imo looks better than any overloaded screen like that) and with a memory footprint of about 60 mb (surprise!).

Really, what is heavy on cpu and memory is not gnome or kde, but the gnome or kde users in search of eye candy. Dont missunderstand me, everyone can do what s/he feels like, but dont complaint if it takes high resources when you put zillions on toys in the screen that have no practical purpose at all. For example, the same that karamba or gdesklets does with a full load of applets filling a screen and taking about 20-40 mb of memory and some peaks of cpu usage here and there can be done with torsmo or conky, in much less space and with almost no resources. Even gkrellm is lighter and has the same, if not more, functionality than karamba.

I dont mind if kde gets more eyecandy with the time, its the natural evolution of the massive desktops (like kde and gnome), but I would like to retain the control to enable only the options that I really need. If the future kde is as configurable as the one that we have now, then lets get all that stuff, but if it is going to be a candy bulk, and the usability is being to be compromissed, then I will say bye forever. Not feel like bying 4gb memory to compensate that.

EDIT: Taking a closer view to that picture I have to say, sorry, but I can only see a lot of wasted space and almost no functionality (unless it is hidden in a thousand keybindings).
Marctraider
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avieth wrote:

On the contrary, KDE works fine on a computer lower then 600mhz, if your system and kde and all is properly configured (to work fast) and eyecandy removed (which doesnt mean using ugly standard kde theme but plastik or lipstik still works fine) it works very good. I used it both on a laptop with 233mhz and just 96mb of ram, only kdebase and kdelibs though, and a laptop from a friend of mine which had a 600mhz pentium 3 with 256mb of ram in some cases you can hardly feel the difference between my 2.1ghz athlon xp barton with 512mb drr and a 20gb 7200rpm drive and that laptop :)
GPU: HD2600XT
SATA: 3x 250GB.
Varean
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very nice early concept shot. I look forward to what is will look like in a few months. (And don't forget the new features!)
Registered Linux User #387568
Fenster
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty, promising...and unusable. I know I'd go insane using a GUI such as that.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

widremann wrote:
Too bad the powers that be want to kill off KDE in favor of the crapathon that is GNOME.
1st: What does Novell using Gnome have to do with the supposed "user dominance" that KDE has? Exactly. None.

2nd: KDE is no less a POS than Gnome. KDE sucks for different reasons than Gnome.

Fenster wrote:
Looks [...] unusable.
That was my first reaction. I suppose it could be different in practice, but I'm skeptical. Just looks like a slightly different way to present the same thing. Something truly innovative (and "better") would probably take a lot of money to identify though.
Ivan Reche
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks terrible to me. Waste of desktop space and resources.

WMII works fine for me!

But there are a lot of others WM or DE that I enjoy: GNOME, XFCE4, Window Maker, WMI...

The only ones I really don't like is KDE and Afterstep. But it's just my opinion! 8)
Q-collective
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a nice concept
frilled
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks even worse then Gnome in terms of wasting desktop real estate ...

No matter what I do, I always return to something light. XFCE(4), mostly.

I really tried to like KDE. It didn't work. There's great potential in there. Especially the kio_slaves are simply great. fish://someone@someserver is ingenious. But it only works for KDE apps, of course. Wich is point where it utterly fails. KDE is very separatistic in nature. Other DEs are more open (one thing I especially like about XFCE - you can swap out every component for something else). Besides that, KDE does a lot of nice things, but it basically tries to re-invent all the mistakes that windoze made years ago. No way to go for me. And it's quite crashy. Even if I disregard kmail (which is the utmost unstable application I must have seen in my whole life) lots of KDE apps crash from time to time. Fortunately, krusader and kate work quite reliably, making them a good thing to work with in a *nux network. I use them from time to time from XFCE/*box, too, even though it takes ages to load the KDE environment. But I can't really remember any XFCE component *ever* crashing on me, not since Version 4, at least.

Then there's Gnome. It's kinda nice and ugly at the same time. The nice thing is that is that it works quite intuitively after installing and tries to "do the right thing" (opposed to KDE which tries hard to be as annoying as windoze by default) - nautilus stupidly complaining about wrong extensions being the noteworthy exception - and the apps are very stable, for me. But I find it extremely ugly to look at. Besides looking incerdibly retro, everything is _huge_. Gigantic, to be precise. The default Icon+Text button settings often need a 1600x1200 display with maximized windows to show :/ And while they try to be less geek than KDE with the millions of buttons, icons, side bars and stuff, there's simply too little configurability, even with gconf-editor. I simply can't get it to look my way. Plus, the thing changes half its behaviour with every new version, which is kinda annoying.

So, even if I try from time to time, I always fall back. The longest streak I ever used KDE was with 3.4.x lately, with about three months. Gnome's record was something as long as two months. Simply won't do. And, when I'm back, I'm always delighted by the incredible speed a desktop can have :)

So, generally I'm okay with seeing KDE and GNOME on some machines other than mine (like RHEL servers or the occasional Ubuntu installation). But my own workstations ... no :D

I need to get stuff done. I *do* like the stuff I do to look good. But KDE and GNOME both get in my way too often, unfortunately.
Raftysworld
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:

2nd: KDE is no less a POS than Gnome. KDE sucks for different reasons than Gnome.

I love how people (not just you, but the post you responded to and *many* others) can speak on behalf of the Linux world in saying that a certain Desktop Environment is a POS. I guess that freedom of opinion doesn't exist, I should give in and acknowledge that KDE and Gnome are POS's? It's subjective and as such we shouldn't make decisions on behalf of others on that. I happen to really like both KDE and Gnome.

As for the screenshot, it's hard to tell without truly being able to play with it. Has potential I'm sure, look forward to seeing more of these mockups.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: