View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lizardcry
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Gnome-Panel-2.10.2 Warns of existing panel already open Reply with quote

So, why is it that 2.10 gets released into the 'stable' branch? With these problems? Why have they unmasked it? It ain't ready.

Balancer wrote:
donno wrote:
Quote:

In file included from main.c:21:
menu.h:28:23: menu-tree.h: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [main.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-panel-2.10.2-r1/work/gnome-panel-2.10.2/gnome-panel'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-panel-2.10.2-r1/work/gnome-panel-2.10.2/gnome-panel'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-panel-2.10.2-r1/work/gnome-panel-2.10.2'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I have same error with last update by emerge -u world without any patches :-/
j-m
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome-Panel-2.10.2 Warns of existing panel already open Reply with quote

lizardcry wrote:
So, why is it that 2.10 gets released into the 'stable' branch? With these problems? Why have they unmasked it? It ain't ready.

File a bug (as already suggested by several people in another thread) or remain silent. Searching bugzilla for the above error message returns zero results, so apparently noone experienced this bug and unknown bug cannot be fixed, surprisingly... :P
lizardcry
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome-Panel-2.10.2 Warns of existing panel already open Reply with quote

j-m wrote:
lizardcry wrote:

File a bug (as already suggested by several people in another thread) or remain silent. Searching bugzilla for the above error message returns zero results, so apparently noone experienced this bug and unknown bug cannot be fixed, surprisingly... :P

Well, if you think it really is a bug, then maybe a report should be filed. What do you think? Is it a bug? Or is it just a user problem? You're a developer. What do you think? We hate to file bug reports that are really just userland problems, right. :wink:
j-m
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome-Panel-2.10.2 Warns of existing panel already open Reply with quote

lizardcry wrote:

Well, if you think it really is a bug, then maybe a report should be filed. What do you think? Is it a bug? Or is it just a user problem? You're a developer. What do you think? We hate to file bug reports that are really just userland problems, right. :wink:

I have no idea because I don't use Gnome... :lol:
lizardcry
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome-Panel-2.10.2 Warns of existing panel already open Reply with quote

j-m wrote:
lizardcry wrote:

I have no idea because I don't use Gnome... :lol:

Kinda strange for a developer to be posting on topics of which he has "no idea". Thx any way, I guess. :o
j-m
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome-Panel-2.10.2 Warns of existing panel already open Reply with quote

lizardcry wrote:

Kinda strange for a developer to be posting on topics of which he has "no idea". Thx any way, I guess. :o

Ah yeah, my big mistake for participating in this and the other thread, apparently just wasting my time... I'll shut up now, go solve it yourself and good luck with that, just do us a favor and don't complain about keywording and unfixed bugs that you won't tell anyone about.
lizardcry
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome-Panel-2.10.2 Warns of existing panel already open Reply with quote

j-m wrote:
lizardcry wrote:

Ah yeah, my big mistake for participating in this and the other thread, apparently just wasting my time... I'll shut up now, go solve it yourself and good luck with that, just do us a favor and don't complain about keywording and unfixed bugs that you won't tell anyone about.

What are you droning on about now? See my detailed posts on the gnome-panel and eel issue and since you said you have no idea about this anyway, then please still look at it so you can be sure to waste more of your time. Also, why don't just leave me alone and go pick on someone else. Ever think about that?
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome-Panel-2.10.2 Warns of existing panel already open Reply with quote

lizardcry wrote:

That's why he encouraged you to file a bug report. This basic concept ensures someone who has an idea about gnome actually gets to see your problem.
lizardcry
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome-Panel-2.10.2 Warns of existing panel already open Reply with quote

amne wrote:
lizardcry wrote:

That's why he encouraged you to file a bug report. This basic concept ensures someone who has an idea about gnome actually gets to see your problem.

Is it a bug?
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome-Panel-2.10.2 Warns of existing panel already open Reply with quote

lizardcry wrote:
Is it a bug?

Let's see. You claimed there's a unstable, non-compilable version of Gnome in the stable branch. Since you haven't provided much information (the one here in the thread is not enough), we can't tell if it actually is a bug.

You have been told at least
one two three four five times to file a bug report.

If you finally would follow our suggestion the bug could finally get assigned (that's what j-m usually does, hence he doesn't need to know all details about gnome) to a gnome developer who could take a look at it. Assuming you provide the information required for a bug report he may even be able to solve the bug (if it actually is a problem) or at least give you a hint what you broke if it isn't Gentoo's fault.
lizardcry
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome-Panel-2.10.2 Warns of existing panel already open Reply with quote

amne wrote:
lizardcry wrote:
Is it a bug?

Let's see. You claimed there's a unstable, non-compilable version of Gnome in the stable branch. Since you haven't provided much information (the one here in the thread is not enough), we can't tell if it actually is a bug.

If you finally would follow our suggestion the bug could finally get assigned (that's what j-m usually does, hence he doesn't need to know all details about gnome) to a gnome developer who could take a look at it. Assuming you provide the information required for a bug report he may even be able to solve the bug (if it actually is a problem) or at least give you a hint what you broke if it isn't Gentoo's fault.

DONE!
lizardcry
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome-Panel-2.10.2 Warns of existing panel already open Reply with quote

amne wrote:
lizardcry wrote:
Is it a bug?

From now on, I will just simply submit any and all problems I have with Gentoo to the gentoo bugzilla directly, instead of asking about problems here in these fora.

Thanks.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome-Panel-2.10.2 Warns of existing panel already open Reply with quote

lizardcry wrote:
From now on, I will just simply submit any and all problems I have with Gentoo to the gentoo bugzilla directly, instead of asking about problems here in these fora.

That's not the way to go either... Many problems are no bugs and can be solved here in the forums.
lizardcry
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome-Panel-2.10.2 Warns of existing panel already open Reply with quote

Earthwings wrote:
lizardcry wrote:

That's not the way to go either... Many problems are no bugs and can be solved here in the forums.

Well then, that's what I originally believed, but the admin told me to shut up and post a bug report. I don't even know if it's a bug! These people started saying a) I didn't post enough info, even though I posted a buttload of emerge spew from the failed compile; then, b) that I was making the whole thing up; even though it's a matter of record that other people had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM!

So, I have posted the bug report with the same info I posted here, not knowing if it's really a bug or just some userland issue. We'll see if the bug people respond. I'll wager that the bug people will tell me that I need to post the problem to the forum. With friendly help like this, who needs windoze. :cry:
lizardcry
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome-Panel-2.10.2 Warns of existing panel already open Reply with quote

Earthwings wrote:
lizardcry wrote:

In excess of caution, here's the crap again. Perhaps you know why eel craps out. Why menu.tree.h appears to be screwed. Some people think I shouldn't post this here and ask about it. So, I guess I run the risk of incurring their wrath again. But, trusting in your suggestion that it's okay to talk about it, I will once again post the spew in sincere hope that you or someone else may enlighten as to the solution. ...

Code:

x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -DG_LOG_DOMAIN=\"Eel\" -I.. -DXTHREADS -D_REENTRANT -DXUSE_MTSAFE_API -DORBIT2=1 -pthread -I/usr/include/gail-1.0 -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/include/libgnomecanvas-2.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/freetype2/config -I/usr/include/libart-2.0 -I/usr/include/gconf/2 -I/usr/include/orbit-2.0 -I/usr/include/gnome-vfs-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gnome-vfs-2.0/include -I/usr/include/bonobo-activation-2.0 -I/usr/include/libbonobo-2.0 -I/usr/include/gnome-vfs-module-2.0 -I/usr/include/libglade-2.0 -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/include/libgnome-2.0 -I/usr/include/libgnomeui-2.0 -I/usr/include/libbonoboui-2.0 -I/usr/include/gnome-menus -I/usr/include/gnome-desktop-2.0 -I/usr/include/startup-notification-1.0 -DDATADIR=\"/usr/share\" -DSOURCE_DATADIR=\"../data\" -DGNOMELOCALEDIR=\"/usr/share/locale\" -DG_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DGDK_PIXBUF_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DMENU_I_KNOW_THIS_IS_UNSTABLE -march=athlon64 -O2 -pipe -MT eel-mime-extensions.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/eel-mime-extensions.Tpo -c eel-mime-extensions.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/eel-mime-extensions.o
if /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=compile x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -DG_LOG_DOMAIN=\"Eel\" -I.. -DXTHREADS -D_REENTRANT -DXUSE_MTSAFE_API -DORBIT2=1 -pthread -I/usr/include/gail-1.0 -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/include/libgnomecanvas-2.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/freetype2/config -I/usr/include/libart-2.0 -I/usr/include/gconf/2 -I/usr/include/orbit-2.0 -I/usr/include/gnome-vfs-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gnome-vfs-2.0/include -I/usr/include/bonobo-activation-2.0 -I/usr/include/libbonobo-2.0 -I/usr/include/gnome-vfs-module-2.0 -I/usr/include/libglade-2.0 -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/include/libgnome-2.0 -I/usr/include/libgnomeui-2.0 -I/usr/include/libbonoboui-2.0 -I/usr/include/gnome-menus -I/usr/include/gnome-desktop-2.0 -I/usr/include/startup-notification-1.0   -DDATADIR=\""/usr/share"\" -DSOURCE_DATADIR=\""../data"\" -DGNOMELOCALEDIR=\""/usr/share/locale"\" -DG_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DGDK_PIXBUF_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DMENU_I_KNOW_THIS_IS_UNSTABLE     -march=athlon64 -O2 -pipe -MT eel-open-with-dialog.lo -MD -MP -MF ".deps/eel-open-with-dialog.Tpo" \
  -c -o eel-open-with-dialog.lo `test -f 'eel-open-with-dialog.c' || echo './'`eel-open-with-dialog.c; \
then mv -f ".deps/eel-open-with-dialog.Tpo" ".deps/eel-open-with-dialog.Plo"; \
else rm -f ".deps/eel-open-with-dialog.Tpo"; exit 1; \
fi
 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -DG_LOG_DOMAIN=\"Eel\" -I.. -DXTHREADS -D_REENTRANT -DXUSE_MTSAFE_API -DORBIT2=1 -pthread -I/usr/include/gail-1.0 -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/include/libgnomecanvas-2.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/freetype2/config -I/usr/include/libart-2.0 -I/usr/include/gconf/2 -I/usr/include/orbit-2.0 -I/usr/include/gnome-vfs-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gnome-vfs-2.0/include -I/usr/include/bonobo-activation-2.0 -I/usr/include/libbonobo-2.0 -I/usr/include/gnome-vfs-module-2.0 -I/usr/include/libglade-2.0 -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/include/libgnome-2.0 -I/usr/include/libgnomeui-2.0 -I/usr/include/libbonoboui-2.0 -I/usr/include/gnome-menus -I/usr/include/gnome-desktop-2.0 -I/usr/include/startup-notification-1.0 -DDATADIR=\"/usr/share\" -DSOURCE_DATADIR=\"../data\" -DGNOMELOCALEDIR=\"/usr/share/locale\" -DG_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DGDK_PIXBUF_DISABLE_DEPRECATED -DMENU_I_KNOW_THIS_IS_UNSTABLE -march=athlon64 -O2 -pipe -MT eel-open-with-dialog.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/eel-open-with-dialog.Tpo -c eel-open-with-dialog.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/eel-open-with-dialog.o
eel-open-with-dialog.c:55:23: menu-tree.h: No such file or directory
eel-open-with-dialog.c:515: error: parse error before '*' token
eel-open-with-dialog.c: In function `compare_applications':
eel-open-with-dialog.c:518: error: `a' undeclared (first use in this function)
eel-open-with-dialog.c:518: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
eel-open-with-dialog.c:518: error: for each function it appears in.)
eel-open-with-dialog.c:519: error: `b' undeclared (first use in this function)
eel-open-with-dialog.c:519: warning: passing arg 1 of `g_utf8_collate' makes pointer from integer without a cast
eel-open-with-dialog.c:519: warning: passing arg 2 of `g_utf8_collate' makes pointer from integer without a cast
eel-open-with-dialog.c: At top level:
eel-open-with-dialog.c:523: error: parse error before '*' token
eel-open-with-dialog.c: In function `get_all_applications_from_dir':
eel-open-with-dialog.c:529: error: `list' undeclared (first use in this function)
eel-open-with-dialog.c:530: error: `directory' undeclared (first use in this function)
eel-open-with-dialog.c:530: warning: passing arg 2 of `g_slist_concat' makes pointer from integer without a cast
eel-open-with-dialog.c:532: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
eel-open-with-dialog.c:534: error: `MenuTreeDirectory' undeclared (first use in this function)
eel-open-with-dialog.c:534: error: `subdir' undeclared (first use in this function)
eel-open-with-dialog.c: In function `get_all_applications':
eel-open-with-dialog.c:549: error: `MenuTree' undeclared (first use in this function)
eel-open-with-dialog.c:549: error: `tree' undeclared (first use in this function)
eel-open-with-dialog.c:550: error: `MenuTreeDirectory' undeclared (first use in this function)
eel-open-with-dialog.c:550: error: `root' undeclared (first use in this function)
eel-open-with-dialog.c: In function `eel_open_with_dialog_add_items_idle':
eel-open-with-dialog.c:591: error: `MenuTreeEntry' undeclared (first use in this function)
eel-open-with-dialog.c:591: error: `entry' undeclared (first use in this function)
eel-open-with-dialog.c:595: warning: passing arg 1 of `strlen' makes pointer from integer without a cast
eel-open-with-dialog.c:595: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
eel-open-with-dialog.c:595: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size
eel-open-with-dialog.c:595: warning: passing arg 1 of `__builtin_strcmp' makes pointer from integer without a cast
eel-open-with-dialog.c:595: warning: passing arg 1 of `strlen' makes pointer from integer without a cast
eel-open-with-dialog.c:595: warning: passing arg 1 of `__builtin_strcmp' makes pointer from integer without a cast
eel-open-with-dialog.c:614: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
make[2]: *** [eel-open-with-dialog.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/eel-2.10.1/work/eel-2.10.1/eel'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/eel-2.10.1/work/eel-2.10.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: gnome-base/eel-2.10.1 failed.
!!! Function gnome2_src_compile, Line 48, Exitcode 2
!!! compile failure
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the following approach generally works best when discovering problems like compile failures or applications behaving strange:
- Search for people with the same / a similar problem. Google, Bugzilla and these forums are enough usually.
- If there's no similar problem report yet, create a thread, or add more information to an existing one.
- Quite a few people will read your post. Most problems can be solved with the help of their replies.
- If you don't get answers (esp. for compilation errors) or the problem can't be solved here or people suggest to write a bugreport, then filing a bug report is usually the best thing to do.

It'd be nice if you can provide a link to the bug report you created. This way people having the same problem can follow up there.
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome-Panel-2.10.2 Warns of existing panel already open Reply with quote

lizardcry wrote:

Stop trolling now.
That means:
No more randomly posting "Submit a bug report" to other threads just to make a point.
Stop spreading FUD about this Bug of yours and the way we treated you.

lizardcry wrote:

These people started saying a) I didn't post enough info, even though I posted a buttload of emerge spew from the failed compile

You didn't. In fact you didn't tell us you were failing at eel. Your message was quoting an different error with gnome-panel.

lizardcry wrote:

So, I have posted the bug report with the same info I posted here,

So why am i unable to find that information in this thread then?
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to http://www.rommel.stw.uni-erlangen.de/~fejf/pfs/ menu-tree.h is provided by gnome-base/gnome-menus. Re-emerge that package and try again. Does your system have /usr/include/gnome-menus/menu-tree.h?
j-m
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earthwings wrote:
According to http://www.rommel.stw.uni-erlangen.de/~fejf/pfs/ menu-tree.h is provided by gnome-base/gnome-menus. Re-emerge that package and try again. Does your system have /usr/include/gnome-menus/menu-tree.h?

No, it won't help, because he's mixing stable and unstable gnome packages, so compiling stable eel against unstable gnome-menus obviously won't work. Really.

So much for the bad keywording, broken Gnome and KDE-biased Gentoo... No comment. :roll:
lizardcry
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

j-m wrote:
Earthwings wrote:

No, it won't help, because he's mixing stable and unstable gnome packages, so compiling stable eel against unstable gnome-menus obviously won't work. Really.

So much for the bad keywording, broken Gnome and KDE-biased Gentoo... No comment. :roll:

Wow! Finally, something useful is said. At least it appears useful. I will go look into this. I could not decipher the phrase "bad keywording" when you first said that, but, there's a little more context in this post. In any event, gnome-menus DOES compile. . . .

I do have gnome-menus in the keyworded ~amd64. There are no other gnome packages in my keywords. I will take gnome-menus out of package.keywords (don't know why it was there in the first place). . . . . . . .

JESUS HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! ... That was it! The fucking gnome-menus was 2.12. Everything else was 2.10. Eel compiled now! Now, with any luck, the rest of gnome will compile.

I figured it was some lame-brained user idiocy I was doing and not a bug. So much for the useless exercise of submitting a bug report. Wished you weren't such a prickly pear who is fond of unloading insider shop lingo on me.

Thanks in any case. You are godlike.

Last edited by lizardcry on Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:56 am; edited 2 times in total
lizardcry
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Gnome-Panel-2.10.2 Warns of existing panel already open Reply with quote

I disagree.

amne wrote:
lizardcry wrote:

Stop trolling now.
That means:
No more randomly posting "Submit a bug report" to other threads just to make a point.
Stop spreading FUD about this Bug of yours and the way we treated you.

lizardcry wrote:

These people started saying a) I didn't post enough info, even though I posted a buttload of emerge spew from the failed compile

You didn't. In fact you didn't tell us you were failing at eel. Your message was quoting an different error with gnome-panel.

lizardcry wrote:

So, I have posted the bug report with the same info I posted here,

So why am i unable to find that information in this thread then?
lizardcry
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earthwings wrote:
I think the following approach generally works best when discovering problems like compile failures or applications behaving strange:
- Search for people with the same / a similar problem. Google, Bugzilla and these forums are enough usually.
- If there's no similar problem report yet, create a thread, or add more information to an existing one.
- Quite a few people will read your post. Most problems can be solved with the help of their replies.
- If you don't get answers (esp. for compilation errors) or the problem can't be solved here or people suggest to write a bugreport, then filing a bug report is usually the best thing to do.

It'd be nice if you can provide a link to the bug report you created. This way people having the same problem can follow up there.

They wiped out the bug report. It wasn't a bug. It was my user idiocy. I suspected my own ignorance and did not want to submit a bug report. But, I was being censured and mocked for not doing so. I guess personal abuse is to be expected if you are a gentoo noob and don't understand immediately what "bad keywording" is. I had indeed keyworded gnome-menus, but no other gnome stuff. Don't know why I had done that. In any event, after I deciphered "bad keywording" I deleted gnome-menus from package.keywords and thus downgraded to 2.10. eel then compiled successfully. The rest of gnome seems to be compiling now. BTW, I always search for posts with similar problems, before posting - I totally agree with you.
amne
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizardcry wrote:
They wiped out the bug report. It wasn't a bug. It was my user idiocy. I suspected my own ignorance and did not want to submit a bug report.

Yes, it was all your fault. The real problem is you failed to provide useful information such as the error message until you filed the bug report.

Finally this thread, your titties avatar and last responses really start to convince me you are nothing but a bad troll eagerly trying to start flamewars, waste other people's time and spread FUD throughout the place.
Banned.

edit: Split this off from Gnome 2.10 (part 2).
j-m
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizardcry wrote:

They wiped out the bug report. It wasn't a bug. It was my user idiocy. I suspected my own ignorance and did not want to submit a bug report. But, I was being censured and mocked for not doing so. I guess personal abuse is to be expected if you are a gentoo noob and don't understand immediately what "bad keywording" is. I had indeed keyworded gnome-menus, but no other gnome stuff. Don't know why I had done that. In any event, after I deciphered "bad keywording" I deleted gnome-menus from package.keywords and thus downgraded to 2.10. eel then compiled successfully. The rest of gnome seems to be compiling now. BTW, I always search for posts with similar problems, before posting - I totally agree with you.

We did not wipe out anything, the bug has been marked as a duplicate (no big problem, if you filed the bug sooner, we could avoid all the flames and troubleshoot the issue faster)...

So, next time:

• Don't open multiple threads for the same problem, important information gets lost for people who could be able to help diagnose the problem otherwise.
  • Provide enough information to diagnose the problem.
  • Watch out for fatal typos (menu-tree.h vs. menu.tree.h here).
  • Avoid confusing people (eel vs. gnome-menus mess).
  • Don't suppose that everyone must suffer from the problem you do, it's often not the case. Bugs unknown to developers cannot be fixed.
  • Avoid unsubstantiated accusations and claims about developers doing a poor job, makes one feel stupid when the whole problem is found to be a user error.

:idea:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: