KDE vs Gnome
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: KDE vs Gnome Reply with quote

Forgive me for opening the proverbial can or worms.

Yes, I searched the forums. Yes I did a Google search. Yes, I've spent a good part of the past two weeks examing KDE and Gnome's websites (which are really piss poor in terms of really laying out details of the respective DM's).

It seems the only real good way to get to know each of these DM's is to use them for some time. However, I was rather hoping that someone might enlighten me to the pros and cons of the various desktops, KDE, Gnome, E17, etc. so that I might make an educated decision as to which DM I want to migrate to.

I ask because I am migrating from Windows with 4 boxes this week. My wife would prefer not to experiment, hassle or switch back and forth. She is a geek, but at the same time, she wants her box to just work. So switching everything around on her several times isn't going to go over well.
micmac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess there's no better way to find out what you both like than just trying it out.
But you don't have to install the whole Gnome/KDE stuff for that. Luckily there's gnome-light and the KDE split-ebuilds.

You said you have 4 boxes. Just try gnome-light on one and KDE split ebuilds on another.

This is what I have emerged for KDE:
Code:

app-i18n/koffice-i18n
app-office/kspread
app-office/kword
kde-base/kde-i18n
kde-base/kicker
kde-base/kpdf
kde-base/kdebase-startkde
kde-base/konsole
kde-base/kview
app-cdr/k3b
kde-base/kmenuedit
kde-base/konqueror

Cheers

mic
enderandrew
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it incredibly odd that whenever I search for these topics, no one ever says:

KDE has these pros and cons...
Gnome has this going for it...
etc.

I could try every DM on the planet. Again, my wife would not be too happy. I know that people are adamant about their choice of DM. Can someone tell me WHY they choose the DM they choose?
PeGa!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go again, Evil vs. Good, Black vs. White, All vs All :P

Let's see... I'll just give you my opinion, nothing else. I'm not such expert to decide which is better, but I DO can tell you my own experience.

KDE: A little (much) buggy as default. Dunno if exist some kind of customization that could fix that "feature" :P, but the GUI interface isn't so "solid" as well-known Explorer.exe. Also, it is too-much demandant on system's RAM. At least, regarding my system, it is too agressive (of course, nothing compared to windows)

GNOME: Just too... ugly! :P I know, it is very customizable, and IMHO, even it is more windows-like than KDE. Just... I don't know, I think that its main problem is that it's heavy as hell, and I like applications working with high response speed. I must to accept it, It's a great option against KDE, but still I would prefer something lighter.

XFCE4: Great option. A nice mix between Gnome and any startbutton-less environtment :P. It is really lighter than KDE or GNOME, and it is a good step to the enlightenment :P If I wouldn't stand against my actual environment, I would choose xfce4.

Enlightenment: Well... just beatiful, but... call me when it is finished. :P

FVWM: Well... I think I don't condemn masochism, anyway, I have another way of seeing life :P

Fluxbox (also blackbox? I've never tested it): My favourite graphic environment. Light as nothing else, highly customizable, and with some creativity, it can be the nicest. Con: You REALLY need sooo much patience to finish it...

PS: Forgive my bad english :$

Adopt an unanswered post.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-354623-highlight-kde+gnome.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: