running Final Fantasy VII with cedega 4.4.1
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jogurt666
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: running Final Fantasy VII with cedega 4.4.1 Reply with quote

hi,
i've recently installed cedega. i wanted to play FF7 using it. the game installs without any problems, however when i want to run it, it says that it's unable to locate MIDI device. i've installed virtual synthesizer during ALSA's instalation and i can play midi files. in cedega's compatibility list FF7 has 4 out of 5 'compatibility stars'. how should i make it work?
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried FF7 yet but have you tried switching to OSS instead of ALSA?
javisaman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=2766

According to the link above. There are ZERO compatibility stars for FFVII. There are 4 "Popularity" stars though
Genjix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis119: talking about pirating is against the forum rules and there are no exceptions.
Aynjell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not discuss piracy. Regardless of whether or not square cares, the forum mods do. I'll report your post...

I also play the game in an emulator, but unlike some, I purchased my copy at the local blockbuster, who probably still sells it. I doubt they care though... I mean, it's only one of the greatest games ever made (not my opinion, but sales, and massive amounts of fans don't lie)
RAM: 2 x OCZ Gold 1024 DDR500 3-4-3-7 (2048)
HDD: Western Digital Raptor
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a little while, but I have been in the mood to giving the game another crack at in linux. While cedega does seem to have little support for FF7 (as the link a few posts above shows) I have seen variable results with wine (I'm running the latest 0.9.15) Here's the deal, from looking through wine's AppDB, I am gathering that both FF7 and FF8 are built similarly and, as such, there are several comments from FF7 that refers to things done to get FF8 running (which apparently runs very nicely via wine, by the way) which has helped people to get their FF7 working (or at least making progress)

A clean installation of the game from cd using wine-0.9.15 goes very smoothly (with the one exception being that the sound is all messed up during installation) If I run the game or the FF7Config.exe configuration tool I get the same error message:

Quote:

Unable to locate MIDI device. Final Fantasy VII requires a Windoes95-compliant MIDI device.

From there, I have been doing forum/google searching to see what I can come up with. My first thought was to get the midi stuff in kcontrolcenter (I use kde) setup so that wine would have a system-ready midi device to use, but it looks like that would (a) be superfluous and (b) probably would work anyway. My searching to get kmid or timidity++ working in that way stopped, however, when I found the following:

Code:

> > My problem is finding out how to route MIDI in
> > a Windows application through to the (working) ALSA MIDI devices.
>
> I'd like to know that, too. So far I haven't found any Linux sequencer
> software I like, and seemingly none that can reliably produce sheet music.

Here's the answer. You need to load regedit and then create the following keys:

Create HKCU\Software\Wine\ALSA, and add two string values:
    MidiPort=72:0
    PlaybackDevice=default
    (72:0 happens to be the MIDI serial port in this case.)
Create HKCU\Software\Wine\Drivers, and add a string value:
    audio=alsa

If the keys already exist, just modify them. 72:0 is the port on which
the serial MIDI appears on my machine. If you are using Timidity, it
is probably 128:0. The command pmidi -l should provide you with a list
of available ports. In fact, I'm not sure that you necessarily need
the ALSA key, but I haven't tried it without. The other key is
essential though.

(the above was found here)

I'm not very experienced with windows registery, but since I could not create a new 'root' key directory called 'HKCU', I had to assume that it was referring to 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER' (so if I'm wrong on that, please, someone, correct me)

I then went back to the AppDB to read up on the comments for FF7 (it is here that I noticed the stuff for FF8 as well) From reading the comments, I noticed that many people got FF8 running by adding some dll's (which I will list in a moment) to their windows/system32 wine directory from a currently working windows installation (from the WINDOWS/system32 directory) It appeared to me that this helped at least a few people in getting FF7 to work (or start working) The dll's are as follows:

Quote:

dmband.dll
dmime.dll
dmloader.dll
dmstyle.dll
dmsynth.dll
dmusic.dll
eax.dll (please note that I actually did not have eax.dll as part of my installation, but I was able to get it online)

I then added each of the libraries to the libraries list (in the libraries tab of winecfg, sans the '.dll') The next step was to turn my audio to 'emulation', but when I click on that tab, winecfg freezes with a glibc segfault (a problem I am currently trying to follow in the wine bugzilla) Needless to say the game still comes up with the error and it does not look like I have made any progress.

Has anyone else gotten the game to run (in wine or a newer version of cedega, maybe?) and if someone else does own the PC version of the game, would you give it a shot as well and post your results?

Also, here's the links to the Wine AppDB that I used:
FF7
FF8
jchahn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just download the linux executable of ePSXe from www.epsxe.com and run the playstation version of FFVII?? The psx version of the game can be bought for like $10 if you can find it at gamestop or ebay or wherever..
Aynjell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jchahn wrote:
Why not just download the linux executable of ePSXe from www.epsxe.com and run the playstation version of FFVII?? The psx version of the game can be bought for like $10 if you can find it at gamestop or ebay or wherever..

Yeah, and i t's 100% playable with no crashing (to my knowledge).
RAM: 2 x OCZ Gold 1024 DDR500 3-4-3-7 (2048)
HDD: Western Digital Raptor
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that emulator is pretty good too... Does it emulate ps2 games as well (I ask anticipating having to go out to buy all of the Silent Hill games)
xanas3712
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, ps2 emulation is not far along, nothing playable yet last I checked. They really should sell their own emulators (the companies making the consoles). After all every single console company is selling their hardware at a loss, and the "monopoly" they get I doubt is going to affect most computer owners as they spend more on this stuff anyway normally. The only reason I don't buy consoles is just because I don't like being forced into buying something I don't feel I should have to.
BRPXQZME
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning to anyone playing FF9, though: don't play it in ePSXe 1.6.0! (Also, it's a darn shame that it can't be further developed... they lost the source, in case you hadn't heard)

PCSX2 is the only really functional PS2 emulator right now, and even then, it doesn't play very much very well (but if you've been following it, you'd know that there's been breakthrough after breakthrough recently!).

Also, by using the PSX version, you lose out a little on graphics (and possibly bearable translation, in the case of FF7). However, since the PC ports were sort of botched, you don't lose out on much (heck, both games have problems running under Windows XP sometimes, so don't feel too bad about WINE!). Go to the qhimm.com forums if you're interested in running the PC versions better, though.
Firefox is spelled F-i-r-e-f-o-x - only the first letter capitalized (i.e. not FireFox, not Foxfire, FoxFire or whatever else a number of folk seem to think it to be called.) The preferred abbreviation is "Fx" or "fx".

FF = Final Fantasy.
xanas3712
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've followed it every few months. I've heard good things last I checked too, but I still think solid emulation of the more popular games is going to be a couple years off.

And ditto on the FF9 note, though there are only 2 places in the game that 1.60 caused a problem. I just kept 1.52 around for those 2 occassions.
Lepaca Kliffoth
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alienjon wrote:
I've heard that emulator is pretty good too... Does it emulate ps2 games as well (I ask anticipating having to go out to buy all of the Silent Hill games)

The PC ports of the Silent Hill games are absolutely perfect. Even the automatic configuration of whatever pad you throw at them is going to be flawless (you can play with the keyboard just fine if you don't have one).

About FF7 - for those who asked - go buy the psx version and emulate it with epsxe, that way you can also filter the image in whatever way you want - even using shaders.
shnydtayne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: I don't know what's happening Reply with quote

I installed FF7 through wine. I got midi sounding perfectly with Timidity++ ... But when I go "wine ff7.exe" to play it, wine desktop stucks, and I'm forced to pkill it.

First I enter root and mount the image for PLayDisc 1. After that, I exit root and go as folllows:

Code:

$ wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Square\ Soft\,\ Inc/Final\ Fantasy\ VII/ff7.exe

err:midi:MIDI_AlsaToWindowsDeviceType Cannot determine the type (alsa type is 100000) of this midi device. Assuming FM Synth
err:ddraw:set_render_state Unhandled dwRenderStateType D3DRENDERSTATE_LINEPATTERN (0000000a) value : 00000000 !
err:ddraw:set_render_state Unhandled dwRenderStateType D3DRENDERSTATE_MONOENABLE (0000000b) value : 00000000 !
err:ddraw:set_render_state Unhandled dwRenderStateType D3DRENDERSTATE_ROP2 (0000000c) value : 0000000d !
err:ddraw:set_render_state Unhandled dwRenderStateType D3DRENDERSTATE_PLANEMASK (0000000d) value : ffffffff !
err:ddraw:set_render_state Unhandled dwRenderStateType D3DRENDERSTATE_LASTPIXEL (00000010) value : 00000001 !
err:ddraw:set_render_state  Specular Lighting not supported yet.
err:ddraw:set_render_state Unhandled dwRenderStateType D3DRENDERSTATE_ZVISIBLE (0000001e) value : 00000000 !
err:ddraw:set_render_state Unhandled dwRenderStateType D3DRENDERSTATE_EDGEANTIALIAS (00000028) value : 00000000 !
err:ddraw:set_render_state Unhandled dwRenderStateType D3DRENDERSTATE_RANGEFOGENABLE (00000030) value : 00000000 !
err:ddraw:set_render_state Unhandled dwRenderStateType D3DRENDERSTATE_EXTENTS (0000008a) value : 00000000 !
err:ddraw:set_render_state Unhandled dwRenderStateType D3DRENDERSTATE_VERTEXBLEND (00000097) value : 00000000 !
err:ddraw:set_render_state Unhandled dwRenderStateType D3DRENDERSTATE_LINEPATTERN (0000000a) value : 00000000 !
err:ddraw:set_render_state Unhandled dwRenderStateType D3DRENDERSTATE_MONOENABLE (0000000b) value : 00000000 !
err:ddraw:set_render_state Unhandled dwRenderStateType D3DRENDERSTATE_ROP2 (0000000c) value : 0000000d !
err:ddraw:set_render_state Unhandled dwRenderStateType D3DRENDERSTATE_PLANEMASK (0000000d) value : ffffffff !
err:ddraw:set_render_state Unhandled dwRenderStateType D3DRENDERSTATE_LASTPIXEL (00000010) value : 00000001 !
err:ddraw:set_render_state  Specular Lighting not supported yet.
err:ddraw:set_render_state Unhandled dwRenderStateType D3DRENDERSTATE_ZVISIBLE (0000001e) value : 00000000 !
err:ddraw:set_render_state Unhandled dwRenderStateType D3DRENDERSTATE_EDGEANTIALIAS (00000028) value : 00000000 !
err:ddraw:set_render_state Unhandled dwRenderStateType D3DRENDERSTATE_RANGEFOGENABLE (00000030) value : 00000000 !
err:ddraw:set_render_state Unhandled dwRenderStateType D3DRENDERSTATE_EXTENTS (0000008a) value : 00000000 !
err:ddraw:set_render_state Unhandled dwRenderStateType D3DRENDERSTATE_VERTEXBLEND (00000097) value : 00000000 !

Then I changed Graphis options in FF7Config to "Display: DirectDraw HAL" and "Software Renderer" and Some problems seem to be solved:

Code:

$ wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Square\ Soft\,\ Inc/Final\ Fantasy\ VII/ff7.exe
err:midi:MIDI_AlsaToWindowsDeviceType Cannot determine the type (alsa type is 100000) of this midi device. Assuming FM Synth

So, all the render errors seem to be out this time... But still the game won't run. I still Have to pkill wine after trying.
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lepaca Kliffoth:
Quote:

The PC ports of the Silent Hill games are absolutely perfect. Even the automatic configuration of whatever pad you throw at them is going to be flawless (you can play with the keyboard just fine if you don't have one).

Of course the problem there is to get Silent Hill (2, I'm thinking here) working with Linux as well, which I hear isn't much of a go. As for 3 and 4, though, I'm not sure how well they're supposed to work.

shnydtayne:
Whoa there. If you wouldn't mind, please back up a step for me? I've been thinking that timidity could be a solution to the midi error, but I never knew how to set it up. How did you do it?
shnydtayne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Timidity++ Reply with quote

Alienjon, I really don't remember setting up timidity was so hard ....

Look, I just emerged it (you gotta emerge it again, If you did it only much time ago, cuz they now put a patch on it, and you'll need the patch)
When I emerged it, I needed nothing but to set midi to be played form Timidity++ in the winecfg's and Guitar Pro 4's midi sound prefs. From that moment on, midi plays perfectly on my computer. And timidity++ has a plugin for xmms. :)

I hope I have helped you out! :wink:

See ya!
Enverex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jchahn wrote:

Heh, never looked on eBay have you. FFVII on eBay goes for $50 (if you're very lucky) to $250.
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enverex wrote:
jchahn wrote:

Heh, never looked on eBay have you. FFVII on eBay goes for $50 (if you're very lucky) to $250.

I bought my PSX version of FFVII for around $50 here in sweden from a webshop. Is that pricey? I dont think so for "the best rpg ever" by sales numbers. $250 feels unreal. 8O eBay has to be the worst place ever.

I'd say check with a webshop. Mine had visa and snailmail bills. And it worked solid with epsx. Was a little tricky with the cd-changes though (3 cd disks).
Enverex
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eBay is, for the most part a waste of time these days. Too many people using it, too many stupid people. You can see it in general because so many things on there sell for over retail price, hell even second hand AMD processors are selling for over the price it would cost to buy them new lately.
marjintyler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: emulator Reply with quote

hey has anyone got super smash bothers i reallllllly want iv been searching everywere so can any off you give it too me :D :D :D :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: