Advancemame with svgalib support
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taromaru
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Advancemame with svgalib support Reply with quote

Hi folks

This is my first post here so first of all Ii would like to thank all the gentoo the users for making such a community and providing almost every bit of info I need for setting up a fast and useful system :D

I have everything I need up and running, but now I miss playing mame. I have merged succesfully xmame and gxmame and actually can play roms with xmame, but I would like to take advantage of the profits advancemame gives.

I compiled two kernels from nitro sources, one with compiled in vesafb-tng fb device and another one with radeonfb for my old ati radeon7500. I read somewhere in advmame doc that games should be playe using the cards fb device.

dmesg show yesterday some lines about radeonfb but right now I cant post them because dmesg is flooded with iptables info (?¿) :(

I also emerged svgalib and configured my system to load svga_helper on reboot. I also edited /etc/vga/libvga.config reflecting my monitors horiz and vert refresh with the values I get using xvidtune.

I then edited advmame.rc and advmenu.rc pointing romdir to my roms directory and setting my monitor specs with
device_video_clock 108 / 30 - 80 / 50 - 120

When I try to start some game I got this error:
svgalib: Failes to initialize mouse (I dont care much aout this at the moment)
No video modes available for current video game
Unable to start video emulation
kevorkian@kevorkian ~/.advance $

It seems to be an issue related to some of the config lines in advmame.rc.
IMO device_video_modeline and device_video_format are the ones to edit. But having already read how to edit this lines in the official documentation, I cant figure out how to change them for my monitor.

From the advdev doc:

4.2.2 device_video_modeline
Define a video modeline. The modeline format is compatible with the format used by the Linux SVGALIB library and by the XFree Window system.

device_video_modeline Name CLOCK HDE HRS HRE HT VDE VRS VRE VT
[-hsync] [-vsync] [+hsync] [+vsync] [doublescan] [interlace]

Options:
Name Name of the video mode. You can use the quotes '"` for the names with spaces.
CLOCK Pixel clock in MHz
HDE HRS HRE HT Horizontal `Display End', `Retrace Start', `Retrace End', `Total'
VDE VRS VRE VT Vertical `Display End', `Retrace Start', `Retrace End', `Total'
-hsync -vsync +hsync +vsync Polarization mode.
doublescan Doublescan mode.
interlace Interlaced mode.
Examples:

device_video_modeline tweak320x240 12.59 320 336 356 400 240 \
249 254 262 doublescan -hsync -vsync

4.2.3 device_video_format
Select the format of the video modes to create. You can insert more than one of these option.

device_video_format HCLOCK HDE HRS HRE HT VDE VRS VRE VT

Options:
HCLOCK Horizontal clock in Hz
HDE HRS HRE HT VDE VRS VRE VT Like the modeline option
When a new modeline is created, AdvanceMAME uses a linear interpolation of the two formats with the nearest horizontal clock.
The default value of this option is for an Arcade 15 kHz monitor:

15720 0.737 0.075 0.074 0.113 0.916 0.012 0.012 0.060

and for an Arcade 25 kHz monitor:

25000 0.800 0.020 0.100 0.080 0.922 0.006 0.012 0.060

and for a VGA 31.5 kHz monitor:

31500 0.800 0.020 0.120 0.060 0.914 0.019 0.004 0.063

Which one of these defaults is used depends on the setting of the `device_video_clock' option.

It seems there are no examples for a home use multisync monitor. I dont fully understand this documentation.
If any user over here has alredy set up advmame using svgalib in a typical 17 inch monitor, any help will be welcome.

If you could post some lines of your rc files I could keep trying out.
Also, any suggestion is welcome, I dont care about having to recompile once again a new kernel, I just want advmame&advmenu UP AND RUNNING :D

Thanks in advance,

Agur!
elvis_a_presley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Advancemame with svgalib support Reply with quote

taromaru wrote:

I then edited advmame.rc and advmenu.rc pointing romdir to my roms directory and setting my monitor specs with
device_video_clock 108 / 30 - 80 / 50 - 120

Your pclock is too high. Replace that line with:

device_video_clock 5 - 150 / 30 - 80 / 50 - 120

and try again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: