XMame way too friggin slow for this system [unsolvable]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bigun
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: XMame way too friggin slow for this system [unsolvable] Reply with quote

Ok, this is my system:

AMD Athlon 1400
256 Mb DDR 333Mhz Ram
ATI Radeon 9200 SE w/ 128 MB of RAM
And I'm running the 2.6.5-gentoo-r1 kernel

I'm running xmame version 0.81 and using the XGL executable. All of my games run fine until I attempt to run either a 3D game (Virtua Fighter, etc.) or a hard drive based game (Killer Instinct 1 & 2). The game slows down to not where is it unplayable, and very annoying. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Bigun on Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
spacejock
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the newer games in mame are unplayable on today's systems. When 9ghz quad-core PVII systems are more common, you might be ok.

On the other hand, defender is perfectly playable on a Celeron 366 with 128 megs of ram.

Cheers
Simon
Bigun
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spacejock wrote:
A lot of the newer games in mame are unplayable on today's systems. When 9ghz quad-core PVII systems are more common, you might be ok.

On the other hand, defender is perfectly playable on a Celeron 366 with 128 megs of ram.

Cheers
Simon

:/

Surely there is a way...
skunkworx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that MAME has to emulate all the hardware of the original cabinets, including 3D hardware. You've no doubt seen the difference in performance between hardware-based and software-based 3D rendering, so imagine the specs required to pull off software-based 3D rendering on top of all that other hardware emulation.

Like spacejock said, it will be a while before many 1990s games are playable in MAME. Either computers will have to get that much faster, or somebody will have to figure out how to translate the emulated 3D hardware instruction sets into DirectX/OpenGL/etc. commands. Since that would have to be done for every bit of 3D hardware ever used in an arcade game, my money is on computers getting fast enough to handle it in software before somebody figures all that out.

If you're looking for a particular fix, Sega released one or two of the Virtua Fighter titles for Windows back in the day. They might run under WINE.

"Everyday is just one day." -- not the Traveling Wilburys
Bigun
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skunkworx wrote:
Remember that MAME has to emulate all the hardware of the original cabinets, including 3D hardware. You've no doubt seen the difference in performance between hardware-based and software-based 3D rendering, so imagine the specs required to pull off software-based 3D rendering on top of all that other hardware emulation.

Like spacejock said, it will be a while before many 1990s games are playable in MAME. Either computers will have to get that much faster, or somebody will have to figure out how to translate the emulated 3D hardware instruction sets into DirectX/OpenGL/etc. commands. Since that would have to be done for every bit of 3D hardware ever used in an arcade game, my money is on computers getting fast enough to handle it in software before somebody figures all that out.

If you're looking for a particular fix, Sega released one or two of the Virtua Fighter titles for Windows back in the day. They might run under WINE.

Good point...
Kaboosh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: You won't need a 9GHz machine... Reply with quote

skunkworx wrote:

This makes no sense whatsoever....if this was the case it would be impossible to run Mupen64 without a Dual 9GHz CPU setup. This problem appears to be a deficiency in mame which is actually why the speed of 3D games in xmame sucks. They appear to only be using OpenGL to draw the game "cabinets" and resize the screen but not utilizing it for rendering the game's 3D objects.

Either way - one quick solution is to emerge games-emulation/zinc (an alternate emulator available as-is only in binary format - no source code). Here is a user guide for this emulator.
airyk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: You won't need a 9GHz machine... Reply with quote

Kaboosh wrote:

This makes no sense whatsoever....if this was the case it would be impossible to run Mupen64 without a Dual 9GHz CPU setup

the reason for this is the the primary goal of the mame project is 100% accurate hardware emulation. they don't use any coding hacks that sacrifice emulation accuracy for playability, which is what allows emus like mupen64 to work.
maKKus
Guru
Guru

Location: /Universe/Milky Way/Sol/Earth/Europe/EEC/The Netherlands/Limburg/Beek/Neerbeek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mame is indeed based on accurate emulation and not playable emulation. For the most games this is not a problem but the later ones, especially the 3d ones suffer from this. You can use the zinc emulator for some of them, like tekken/2/3 or death or alive.
Jon Beilin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: You won't need a 9GHz machine... Reply with quote

Kaboosh wrote:
This makes no sense whatsoever....if this was the case it would be impossible to run Mupen64 without a Dual 9GHz CPU setup.

note that mupen64 emulates only one hardware platform and does, in fact, translate the 3d instructions to opengl instructions.

it would be a huge project to do all that for every bit of arcade hardware. plus, it just isn't as accurate since there is no guarantee that your graphics card renders things exactly the same way as the original hardware (granted, it gets down to minutiae at that point comparable to the difference between ati and nvidia renders).
feld
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a mame emulator that requries a quarter slot hooked up via USB or something.

http://www.robboweb.com/mamecab/gallery/imagepages/image12.htm

That would be cool :)

-Feld

if (random(65535)< 65500) { hose(partition); for (i=0;i<100000000;i++) print_crap(); }
VeryWeary
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: You won't need a 9GHz machine... Reply with quote

airyk wrote:
Kaboosh wrote:

This makes no sense whatsoever....if this was the case it would be impossible to run Mupen64 without a Dual 9GHz CPU setup

the reason for this is the the primary goal of the mame project is 100% accurate hardware emulation. they don't use any coding hacks that sacrifice emulation accuracy for playability, which is what allows emus like mupen64 to work.

I think it has more to do with the hardware they are trying to emulate and the level of interest in emulating that hardware. N64's are cheap, tons of info about the hardware is freely available and there are probably hundreds of guys out there working on emulation for it. Any enterprising electonics engineering hobbyist can buy one for next to nothing, rip it open, dump data from it and reverse engineer it. With arcade emulation you've got 1000's of different machines, which aren't easily obtained, no real information about the hardware, no information about development on the hardware, and maybe a couple of guys working to reverse engineer a system they have no access to and very little information about. It took a really really long time for the community to get CPSII emulation working decently and Capcom used that hardware in a ton of their games and there were a lot of people working on it. I imagine it's going to take significantly longer to get some of these more complicated, less widely used pieces of hardware up and running.
Kaboosh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: You won't need a 9GHz machine... Reply with quote

airyk wrote:

Ahhh...and this goal has certainly paid off as the hardware for every game you play is flexible yet faithfully recreated!
I didn't mean anything derogatory towards the mame team with my comments, I was just stating fact (if you'll excuse my use of the word "sucks" of course :wink: )...
elvis_a_presley
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spacejock wrote:
When 9ghz quad-core PVII systems are more common, you might be ok.

Quad-core won't help. Emulation is a very serial thing, and MAME will never go SMP. Raw clockspeed is the only solution.

Even AdvanaceMAME doesn't truly utilise SMP. It merely offloads some SDL stuff at a blitter level, and does nothing at a core level. Expect a 1% speedup at best with dual-core or SMP rigs and AdvanceMAME.

If you're buying CPUs for MAME use, just get the fastest single-core you can afford, and at least 512MB of RAM for the bigger games (KI and some of the newer NeoGeo games decompress to roughly 300MB just on initial load).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: