Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Bash permission problems when chroot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thinker5555

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 10:51 am    Post subject: Bash permission problems when chroot Reply with quote

I'm trying to install Gentoo for the first time. I'm doing my initial startup from within another Linux distro because I am on a dialup modem and need to use Wvdial. I've gotten to the point where I have the stage*tbz2 file extracted to /mnt/gentoo, but I can't chroot with "chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash" I get an error: "chroot: cannot execute /bin/bash: Permission denied" I've tried changing my persmissions on /bin/bash to 755, and even 777 for grins and giggles, (both under /mnt/gentoo AND on the Redhat partition I'm trying to chroot from) but it didn't help.

I've tried booting off the CD and chrooting, and that works fine, but then I have no dialup connection because Wvdial doesn't work. (it gives me some error about either bad permissions or can't find /usr/sbin/pppd. I've tried a "modprobe ppp", but that gives me "can't find module ppp")

I've read and heard all sorts of great things about Gentoo, and I'd really like to be able to use it. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy
lx
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is with chroot command and the configuration of redhat. Stating the obvious your logged in as root (under redhat) else do it (su -). Can't think of other things blocking the execution of chroot, btw /mnt/gentoo/bin/bash is already world executable, and I installed gentoo (stage1) under debian (in gnome-terminal) without any problems.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: